Avadon 3: Which Options Matter

Kelandon

In the vein of this topic for Avadon 2, I thought I'd look into which dialogue options make a difference for the Avadon 3 ending. Here's what I found:

FINAL JOB

You can become a Hand or an Eye in the endgame regardless of what you say or do throughout the rest of the game. In order to become a Heart, you need to get a flag set over 100. (The flag is (100,6), for anyone who wants to edit scripts.) In general, only what you say directly to Redbeard appears to affect the flag. You can say anything you want to anyone else, and it generally makes no difference. Also, in general, telling Redbeard what he wants to hear increases the flag, and defying him decreases it.

For example:

In the very early game, when Redbeard tells you about a battle in the Wyldrylm where a large field caught fire, your options are:

"I don't think. I just follow orders." No change in the flag.

"I feel bad. That is horrible news." No change in the flag.

"We must do all we can to end this war." Add 3 to the flag.

"It's just the sort of thing that happens." Subtract 3 from the flag.

Redbeard then asks, "If necessary, you must abandon all softness, all mercy. You must crush your foes. Can you do this, if it means ending this war?" Your options are:

"I won't know for sure until I am tested." No change in the flag.

"I can't do anything I feel is unjust." No change in the flag.

"I can't do anything that would harm the Pact." Add 3 to the flag.

"I would do anything to end the carnage." Add 3 to the flag.

Another example:

When Miranda jumps forward to infect Redbeard with the Corruption, your options are:

(Just let it happen.) Subtract 5 from the flag.

(Attack Miranda.) Add 5 to the flag.

"Redbeard, watch out!" Add 5 to the flag.

There are tons of these, so I can't list all of them. However, basically everything that you can say or do that acknowledges Redbeard's authority, calls him strong, provides him the backing that he wants in any given situation (staying silent when Redbeard argues with Deniz at the Green Refuge, backing him up verbally or by being ready to fight when he confronts Callan), or suggests that you will be harsh with Farlanders and rebels adds between 3 and 5 to this flag. Any equivocal answer ("I'm just following orders") does nothing. (Anything said to anyone other than Redbeard, as long as Redbeard isn't present, also does nothing, as far as I can tell.) Anything that isn't what Redbeard wants to hear — telling him he's weak, he should show mercy, etc. — subtracts from the flag.

There are a few moments that you might expect to impact the flag that don't. For example, your advice on Callan's final fate doesn't impact the flag in any way.

KILLING PEOPLE

As far as I can tell, you can kill just about everyone with impunity.

* In Fort Foresight, you have the opportunity to attack Envoy Dirran. The text around doing so gets pretty dark, but all that happens is that Dirran is replaced by a different person — Envoy Vega — who says the same things in the endgame.

* I can't find any consequences at all of killing Hand Taroe in Fort Foresight.

* I can't find any consequences at all of killing Zhethron.

* Obviously, killing Velusa has consequences in the Temple of Velusa, but as far as I can tell, there is no additional benefit to killing Velusa that you don't get from challenging and then asking for forgiveness from Velusa (other than dropped items). Hand Hahn rewards you the same way.

OTHER

Obviously, giving Redbeard poison and giving Dirran hair from Redbeard make the final battle easier if you choose to fight Redbeard. I don't see that they significantly impact the ending otherwise, though.

It's not clear to me that anything else matters, in terms of restricting your endgame options.

Questions? Corrections? Post them here!

There are also the auto death options with Redbeard where if you tell him the truth your game ends in Camp Nightshade if you serve Protus and when you give him the Protus poisoned flask. There is also one in Kirik-Tor if you choose not to help the Wyldrylm. I don't think there were any other places where you could just die for saying the wrong thing.

I don't think there were any other places where you could just die for saying the wrong thing.

I always felt there should be more of these. This is one of the most dangerous people on the entire continent and yet he is strangely lax with disobedient hands, especially ones that answer his first question in the games in a pretty self serving manner.

Redbeard didn't like that we went and killed those rebels (Khalida's quest).

Also question about killing wretches and/or other warborns could matter and 1 or 2 other questions.

Not killing Gryfyn matters for sure (90% sure).

I think if says that Proteus is rightful/true keeper after Dheless has died should result to instant death.

I always felt there should be more of these. This is one of the most dangerous people on the entire continent and yet he is strangely lax with disobedient hands, especially ones that answer his first question in the games in a pretty self serving manner.

In this game he doesn't have a lot of Hands to choose from. He is stuck with anyone reasonably competent. Besides he still has Eyes working for him who can probably monitor you.

• 5 months later...

Corruption, no way to explore > understand it ?

Thinking construct, no way to go beyond that ?

Redbeard well, You know (talking with Probus) both origin (land) & use, as Keeper, finding what's missing = alright if no better (you have access to nearly all type of informations > knowledge, so ?).

Redbeard killing himself, ahem. Given how proud he is ?

Keeping him in statis as to become an advisor would have been the logical/pragmatist course, my character is a mage, with the required spell but let him (and others before) kill themselves, while (quite a grey area as to yet) charming or otherwise (quite easy to manage something like that, magic of course, potion or other treatment then.

Given the textplot = dead track, opened, mentioned in the ending without any options to be changed = ..

Only recourse being these issue seen over the next game, still, does not make much sens as it is.

• 2 months later...