Struggles with the blood and the difficulty

txmimi

I'm nearing the final big quest of the game and have become so put off by all the massacres and the difficulty of fighting such battles that I'm tempted to just hang it up unfinished. Maybe I have a bad party, maybe they're not trained properly, but every one of these bloodfests is so difficult. . . and I'm playing on easy. Right now I'm supposed to go back to Velusa and kill the god, but I barely got out of there alive just getting the invitation. And I get the impression from other posts that a battle with Zhethron is pending, plus whatever I do about Redbeard. And there's still Dheless to deal with in some way.

I have done multiple playthroughs of the other Avadon and Avernum games, but am not so sure about tackling this one again.

Rant over.. .

Killing Velusa and Zhethron are optional feats for experienced players who want to take on tough challenges. You don't have to do them.

If you have Velusa's invitation, I'd suggest just going on the final quest. I made sure that there are non-battle options for the vast majority of it.

- Jeff Vogel

FWIW I suck at games but I have played through this one three times. I always play on the easiest difficulty. If the game is not fun because it's too hard, lower the difficulty if you can. If you think your characters might be badly designed, there is the trainer in Goldcrag. You could save at a particular point and retrain your characters, then try any particular battle with multiple configurations.

When playing video games, I rarely care about "legendary/hardcore/suicidal/unimaginable/impossible(or whatever they are called)" difficulties, optional bosses, bonus levels, and all those annoyingly tedious collectibles/achievements/medals/easter eggs. There is absolutely no fun for me to beat a game on the highest difficulty, and extremely unfair and unavoidable boss fights often result in a rage quit followed by an instant uninstall.

I'm glad Avadon 3 is not difficult on Hard, and those two difficult fights are totally optional.