Opinions and observations about Av3

madrigan

1) I have played through three times now. I am not smart enough to manage inventory for six characters so at the start I pick two companions and ignore the others. I have tried Blademaster/Botan/Rudow, Shadowwalker/Khalida/Nathalie, and Tinkermage/Botan/Nathalie. That third group was clearly the best combat unit.

2) I would like it if, after I tell Rudow that I am not going to help him on his quest, he would not show up in Kirik-tor and force me to walk through the whole thing anyway.

3) There is just no way I am helping Khalida with her crazy quest.

4) Love the temporal pylon. It is the best thing ever. Even the sound effect when you create it is great. The visual for doublestrike is also excellent.

5) I would like it if I could control the placement of turrets and pylons so I could use them to prevent melee attacks from two sides.

6) If I fight Redbeard, all the people on his side attack me while the people on my side run around making turns take a long time, but don't actually fight. This is very annoying.

7) My favorite fights are against the doomed trio of Protus supporters that won't let Redbeard into Fort Foresight, and against Everybody after I escape from the Antitia Ruins. The first because it seems like a very even fight, and the second because just everything in the world is thrown at the characters, and I love the moment when your companions make their surprise entrance. It is very summer blockbuster. I am not really into the fights with a lot of scripted events.

8) On my first playthru I was sure it would turn out that Redbeard and Protus were working together, because I couldn't figure another reason for Protus to let me walk freely in Avadon.

9) On my third playthru I was still finding areas and quests I hadn't noticed before.

10) This is the best Avadon. I did like the first. The second was a drag because the Corruption was so hard to get through. It was like the Eastern Gallery chitrachs in Avernum 4, but with tougher monsters.

Thank you, that is all.

If I fight Redbeard, all the people on his side attack me while the people on my side run around making turns take a long time, but don't actually fight. This is very annoying

I thought it was hilarious, myself. Redbeard has always taken the position that he is the only person competent and strong enough to keep Avadon and the Pact together. In deciding to fight him, I was implicitly taking the opposite position. And so the other anti-Redbeard leaders proceed to prove his point by running around the room like chickens with their noodles cut off, heedless of burning goo and shocking floors.

My favorite fights are against the doomed trio of Protus supporters that won't let Redbeard into Fort Foresight...because it seems like a very even fight,

That one was funny for a different reason. I ran north and west, and managed to get into a fight where the "Protean" hands and I were fighting on the same side against a couple of wolves. After the wolves died and I got close to the Hands (still in combat mode), the dialogue took place and they turned hostile to me. But the turrets their tinkermage had made stayed friendly to me. Thus, those poor numbskulls had to fight my party while their own turrets shot them in the back.

I pictured this as the Tinkermage having to set some kind of crude "friend or foe recognition switch" when he makes a turret...and since we were fighting a common enemy he put us down as "friends," which led to the logical conclusion once he attacked us. Or maybe his turrets decided to start the Robot Rebellion right now...

If you were motivated to do three playthroughs this fast, that shows that this is indeed an awesome game. I'm going to stop after my second...I am not a big replayer...but hats off to Jeff for putting it together that well.