What armor to wear - EFTP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
carbon_dragon carbon_dragon

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,947
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:09 PM #1 What armor to wear - EFTP

I'm late in the game but still can't figure out whether my fighters should wear plate or not. The horrible hit chance seems to make it useless. Or am I wrong? Should I be wearing that Crystalline plate or should I sell it.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:21 PM #2 What armor to wear - EFTP

By the middle of the game you should be able to hit in even plate armor.  Your level adds to your to hit chance.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:30 PM #3 What armor to wear - EFTP

Make sure to invest most of your melee characters' stat points in Strength, as it has a significant effect on your hit rate. As long as you do that it shouldn't be hard to cap out your hit rate eventually regardless of armour.

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:39 PM #4 What armor to wear - EFTP

experience levels.

View PostRandomizer, on 23 October 2016 - 02:21 PM, said:

Your level adds to your to hit chance.
More specifically, you get an addition to hit chance (+5%) for every two experience levels.  The primary source of hit rate is, as Lilith suggests, your primary stat -- in this case, for melee attacks, it's Strength.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Rugila Rugila

Citizen

• Member ID: 13,756
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:06 AM #5 What armor to wear - EFTP

I wore the crystalline plate on my tanking character until the end myself. He also wielded Demonslayer. I don't remember having much trouble killing demons in platemail. Unless it was haakai, those took a little bit of magic as well.

carbon_dragon carbon_dragon

Citizen

• Member ID: 9,947
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:55 PM #6 What armor to wear - EFTP

The problem is that it's hard to know what my hit rate is. In the console it's always 95% but some characters have a LOT more of a problem. The whole thing is opaque. Also some people here on the boards say  that you should avoid all armor that lowers to hit percentage and others say it's ok.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:16 PM #7 What armor to wear - EFTP

95% is the maximum because of the 5% fumble chance of missing no matter how good you are.  Once you get there only an occasional boss monster will have a lower chance.

Early in the game it's possible to get a fighter's to hit chance below 30% by wearing too many pieces of encumbering armor.  It makes a good tank to stand up in front and attract damage, but rarely can deal it out.
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:56 PM #8 What armor to wear - EFTP

View Postcarbon_dragon, on 24 October 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

The problem is that it's hard to know what my hit rate is. In the console it's always 95% but some characters have a LOT more of a problem. The whole thing is opaque. Also some people here on the boards say  that you should avoid all armor that lowers to hit percentage and others say it's ok.

If the game says your hit rate is 95%, it's 95%, even if it doesn't always feel like it. Sometimes you just have a run of bad luck.

Wearing a lot of heavy armour can be a problem for your hit rate early on, but eventually your stats should be high enough that it won't matter.

achilles73 achilles73

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,738
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:54 PM #9 What armor to wear - EFTP

Does wearing heavy armor affect casters?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:03 PM #10 What armor to wear - EFTP

View Postachilles73, on 12 January 2017 - 03:54 PM, said:

Does wearing heavy armor affect casters?
Only mage spells are effected by the negative to hit chances of heavy armor.  Too much and you can't cast in combat. You can compensate by traits and items that have to hit bonuses.

achilles73 achilles73

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,738
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:37 PM #11 What armor to wear - EFTP

View PostRandomizer, on 12 January 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Only mage spells are effected by the negative to hit chances of heavy armor.  Too much and you can't cast in combat. You can compensate by traits and items that have to hit bonuses.

Thank you for the prompt response!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users