I just realized something about my RPG habits

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
Tevildo Tevildo

Watcher

• Member ID: 12,857
  • 192 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA, United States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:23 AM #1 I just realized something about my RPG habits

Cumulatively, I've spent as much time devising and tweaking weird character builds as actually playing them.

With Angband variants, I hack at the game, or fiddle with preexisting skill systems... But abandon my characters out of boredom 90% of the time. I barely ever play my own Angband variant.

With BoE, I waste inordinate amounts of time on modeling PCs and parties, even though BoE's bugs and design flaws make most of it not matter.

... I don't want a game where you are an adventurer. I want a game where you train adventurers, and then send them out to do stuff.

Or maybe an RPG that is all plot, dialog, and skill allocation, with fighting managed by the game AI. Like, Blades of Exile meets Oregon Trail.

I wonder if this is just me being weird, or if there's actually a demand for such games.

Kelandon Kelandon

!!!

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,682
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:13 AM #2 I just realized something about my RPG habits

There are Heroes of Might and Magic maps that could be more or less along these lines, if you put the game on auto-combat. I guess there's only a little in the way of skill allocation, but allocating troops is sort of similar.
VCH: I believe we settled this way back when: Kelandon was the most attractive.
SoT: You'd be happy, too, if you were such a clever spider.
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!

ottakoi ottakoi

Citizen

• Member ID: 6,516
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:58 PM #3 I just realized something about my RPG habits

That reminds me of Spellforce. I played it a lot with a friend many years ago. There are dozens of skils to put points into, and characters automatically fight enemies on sight. There are RTS maps, but it is possible to totally ignore the base-building and sneak into the enemy camp to destroy everything (there are skills that make the character tear down houses much faster).

TriRodent TriRodent

Mercenary

• Member ID: 8,173
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:45 PM #4 I just realized something about my RPG habits

Kind of sounds like the ancient Microprose Master of Magic (iirc it came out about when Jeff got started, so really old.... :-p ).  It's been a looong time since I've played but in addition to building up your cities & advancing your heroes, the combat was quite tactical with you moving various units & heroes around the battlefield.  It was more than just a hack & slash or a Civilization style auto combat anyway.

I can't think of any RPG where you're the trainer sending out units to do battle.  The closest that you may find is something like Civilization or Age of Empires where you've got the God level view, building up your civilization/cities & on a strategic level sending out units/armies to do battle for you.  Even that though isn't exactly what you're talking about.

Thaluikhain Thaluikhain

Shaman

• Member ID: 6,345
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:47 PM #5 I just realized something about my RPG habits

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I'd imagine lots of people spend a while on their stat allocation and then just smash through the combat rather than worrying about tactics because it's easier.

View PostTevildo, on 20 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Or maybe an RPG that is all plot, dialog, and skill allocation, with fighting managed by the game AI. Like, Blades of Exile meets Oregon Trail.

Excepting that instead of fighting there's detective work going on, that sounds like Black Closet.  You play the president of the Student Council of a girls high school, and you send your minions out to stop things threatening the schools reputation, and don't really do anything personally in-game, just lots of stuff in plot.

Dire Hobbit Dire Hobbit

Mercenary

• Member ID: 9,003
  • 50 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:14 AM #6 I just realized something about my RPG habits

"... I don't want a game where you are an adventurer. I want a game where you train adventurers, and then send them out to do stuff."

That's the premise of Majesty except that games possible even more 'hands off'. It's an RTS: you build the stereotypical rpg town and post the bounties/rewards.

Probably not what you're looking for as there's no character building input from the player but it's one of the all time classic games so I thought I'd mention in case you weren't aware of it.

Can find the HD edition on GoG https://www.gog.com/...majesty_gold_hd and it's often on sale on steam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users