Mac problems with "fullscreen"

Vent

Avadon 3 : Mac problems with "fullscreen" :

- The game allows choose resolutions but don't switch to the resolution selected.

- Mouse on border top in fullscreen show menubar and generate a game pause/slowdown, it's a nasty problem when you use mouse on border to scroll the view.

- Mouse on border bottom in fullscreen show Dock if you insist a little bit to move the mouse to bottom. It's a nasty problem when you use mouse on border to scroll the view.

I"m using El Captain.

About mouse on border not working well, no arrow keys isn't a solution for me.

So you are saying it works for you and you use El Captain?

I don't see how video card control Dock and menumar, and for fullscreen not working to switch resolution I saw the problem already quoted.

So is anybody using El Captain has mouse on border top not showing menubar?

Could be the mouse, I'm using Kensington Trackball and TrackballWrosk 1.1.2.

No, I'm saying you should share technical specifications of your graphics setup. That makes it a lot easier to pinpoint what's going on. (It is a graphics related problem, even if the trigger is the OS or something else entirely.)

- What monitor are you using? (Or if a laptop, what laptop)

- What resolutions are you trying to switch to, and what resolution does the game appear to actually use?

- Do you have a graphics card, and if so what card?

I just switched to full screen mode on my early 2011 15" MacBook Pro with Intel HD Graphics 3000 running Sierra. When I put the mouse on the top or bottom border, it shows the menu bar/dock and continues to scroll, so it seems fine to me. I have not run long enough in this mode to see any lag issues. I seem to have exactly the same screen resolution in full screen mode no matter what setting I choose (did the screen capture option to display coordinates to verify).

• 4 weeks later...

Still not fixed? I can't believe it.

I have the exact same issue you describe when running Avadon 3 on my 2012 15" retina MacBook Pro with a GeForce GT 650M running Sierra.

So it's clearly not linked to my hardware which is a Mac Pro. Nor the system I'm using El Captain. the system was a good bet, the hardware, lol.

For me it makes the game unplayable. I won't play the game with scroll on keyboard, and I tried get used to the crap and the little lag but couldn't, you constantly scroll it's a major command.

Is there really any config for which it is working properly?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've just finished Avernum 2: CS and grabbed a copy of the Avadon 3 demo to try. I quickly ran into the same issues mentioned by Vent using a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Late 2013 on 10.10.5.

- The game allows choose resolutions but don't switch to the resolution selected.

I'm a little confused as to why the resolution picker is still offered if it doesn't actually do anything. However Jeff's response in the other support thread about manually switching resolutions did the trick for me.

- Mouse on border top in fullscreen show menubar and generate a game pause/slowdown, it's a nasty problem when you use mouse on border to scroll the view.

- Mouse on border bottom in fullscreen show Dock if you insist a little bit to move the mouse to bottom. It's a nasty problem when you use mouse on border to scroll the view.

Scrolling in fullscreen is difficult given that the menu bar and dock are auto-revealed when mousing over them. I'm pretty sure there is an easy fix for this problem, which I hope that Jeff would consider offering in a patch. Previous games like Avernum 2: CS (presumably) used the older CGDisplayCapture APIs in order to black out all screens, and prevent normal system interactions. Without those APIs you need to make a small change when invoking NSView's enterFullScreenMode:options: method.

In the options dictionary, include the NSFullScreenModeApplicationPresentationOptions key, where its value contains the bitwise or of both NSApplicationPresentationHideMenuBar and NSApplicationPresentationHideDock. I'm an iOS developer by day who knows very little about AppKit but it should work...

https://developer.ap...s?language=objc

Personally I would also prefer the option of capturing all the displays (make this a checkbox in the launcher), otherwise your cursor will exit the screen in a multi-monitor setup. Just wanted to weigh in, as this is a pretty important usability issue IMHO. I haven't bought Avadon 3 yet, but have purchased every Spiderweb game since Geneforge 5 & Avernum 5 were released.