Newbie with questions

Gavindale Marchovia

I am new to Avadon, bought it a little while ago but never had an opportune time to start it till recently. I have a few questions to start me off. I know that, in games like the Might and Magic series or the Diablo Trilogy, the player has access to a "stash", where they could safely put wanted items - weapon, armor, items, etc - and come back for them later in the game. Does Avadon have such a feature? I am playing a blademaster (I think that's what it's called) - and my inventory is about full. Is there a safe place to put currently unneeded items till I need them later? I have some things that I don't need right now but maybe later.. how do I tell whether I will need an item or not? I have things like clay jars, pieces of cloth, a couple scalpels, broken sword, a set of dice, etc – I can imagine these will come in handy later in the game – or maybe their just random items to make the game that much more interesting. Any thoughts from anyone? And if I sell something, and want to buy it back, can I do that at the same price as when I sold it? From what I have seen so far, this game doesn't have much grinding, but do enemies re-spawn?

You can drop items anywhere and they will still be there later as long as you don't exceed the 200 item limit.

All the items you listed are junk that aren't needed. Lots of things that have no value are just placed there for color.

If you sell something it might be available to buy back, but at a higher price because merchants want to make money.

Enemies usually don't respawn and most of those give no experience. The game has a level 30 cap and you can make it before the end.

What is the 200 item limit, and how do I avoid it? And I see your point about selling and buying back - we all have to make a living, right? And Randomizer, you said that most enemies respawn and all - did you mean some enemies give no experience? Concerning items added for color in the game - my ultimate downfall (hehe) is how I can think of all kinds of great ways to use things, like storing items in clay jars, or a broken sword is made into a legendary weapon that is the bane of some great enemy, or even rolling dice for gaining coin. I tried to wield a scalpel as a weapon but that idea died quickly when I tried it.

Because of a computer program memory limit, only 200 items can be placed in a zone. If you place more, then some might disappear. Usually you won't place that many in an area for storage, but it can happen.

Some enemies, usually spawned for an endless flood to convince you to move on in the game, give no experience or loot. I can't remember for this game if there are any, but in Avadon 3 there are a group of spies that do that.

The only broken sword into a legendary weapon is Demonslayer in Exile/Avenum 1. Dice rolling is in Nethergate.

No, there is not any reason to keep dice. Usually in his posts on items in the strategy central post for each game, Randomizer has a list of items that are needed for quests. For example in Avadon 3, he lists seven items that you should hold on to, two of the items have no value to you except for keeping them for the quests.

Something I have been pondering at the beginning of the game, right before i go down the stairs in Avadon - to complete the first quest in the dungeon - I get a message about picking up a green cloak off the table. Now, I thought all I would have to do is click on the cloak, but nothing happens. What to do?

Something I have been pondering at the beginning of the game, right before i go down the stairs in Avadon - to complete the first quest in the dungeon - I get a message about picking up a green cloak off the table. Now, I thought all I would have to do is click on the cloak, but nothing happens. What to do?

Clicking the "Get" button, or the inventory button, will allow you to pick up any items you find laying around on the floor, by moving them to your inventory or your Trash Bag (Note: Clicking Ctrl+Left Click on an item sends it to your trash bag, a location with MUCH more room that you can sell everything in with a single click. Useful for vendor trash.).

Be aware, this isn't a Diablo-style RPG. This is more standard western-style.

First, I appreciate all the help and suggestions you guys have given me per my questions. The game is going nicely. I noticed in my character inventory that there is a weight limit for the armor and weapons on my character. Is there a limit on the items, armor, and weapons I can carry in my backpack? I saw the weight limit on-person, but I don't see the weight limit for the backpack contents. And I was reading about Avadon on Steampowered.com, some aspects of the description peaked a couple more questions. The description mentioned hidden dungeons and secrets to discover. How would I go about finding those hidden dungeons? Is there something I should be looking for to find them? And what secrets are in the game? I don't want spoilers, just a heads up on some the secrets this game offers.

The junk bag (backpack) has no weight limit.

There are two types of hidden switches. In Avadon 1 and 2, there are places on the wall that when clicked open up secret passages. In Avadon 3 they also include objects like pails and flower planters. The ones in Avadon 1 were there hardest to see and usually only were seen by moving the cursor over the wall until they lit up.

Thanks, Randomizer! I appreciate your help. - I saw that, when I picked up random items from the floor, and put the mouse cursor on those items, some item descriptions said "able to be sold", others didn't. Can I still sell the items that do not have that "able to be sold" in thier description? And in Avadon 1, is there a point in the game where I should start checking walls for hidden areas?

Do you mean the items WITH a value are worth picking up to be sold, or without a value? I figure, if I can, will take some of the items in the dungeon up into the castle, sell them, and go back down for the rest of the items ...if I can. Not sure how that will work. As for hidden switches, do I have to click on walls, or just put the cursor over them? I know I won't find many of the hidden places, but I want to try and find at least some of them.

A couple more questions to ask.. if I have two characters in my party, and we defeat a enemy/creature for 100xp, do both my characters get 100xp, or is the earned experience divided among them? And I don't know how this is handled in Avadon, - in my experience with RPGs, some games go one way, others another way - if I have two characters in my party, and use them for a length of time to increase their experience levels - when a new character joins my party, does the experience level of the new character match the levels of the characters I have been using? (btw, thanks Edgwyn for the link for revealing hidden switches).

A heads up - the game is going great! I am talking to the two craftmasters - Ducar (sp?) - he's the guy with the scarab, and Nicodeimus. I was told to go to the first guy for the scarab jewel, and Nicodeimus for supplies - I talked to him numerous times, but I can't find the cue to buy things from him. Any ideas?

First, I want to thank you guys for all of your help in answering all my tedious questions. I am very appreciative. I did a little poking around and answered my question about buying and selling weapons items and such. As far as I can tell right now, I should be ok for a while. Hopefully, anyway. As for my question about the record button - I see that in some windows there is a "record button', which makes a tab in the players journal, but I don't understand the purpose or meaning behind doing so? Is this a vital part of the game? I am at the part where I buy/sell for scarabs, items, and such before completing all the quests I have gathered from walking around castle Avadon, but until now I haven't used the record button. If it comes to it, and if at this point I have missed out on vital record journal tabs, I don't have a huge problem with starting the game over, apparently I'm not that far into the game anyway. Anyway if someone could fill me in on the possible importance of the record button, its benefits, etc. I would be very appreciative. Thanks so much, guys!

The record button is a legacy from the Exile series where its purpose was to record information usually for quests so you could remember where you got them or clues to finish them. The quest list that you now have wasn't there in the first Exile game. Even some later games the quest list didn't always have all the information you might want.

Now it's there so you can record information that you want to keep to look at a later time. You don't really need to use it. I use it to save funny dialogue.

So it's not mandatory? I am still new to the game so I don't really have a strong perception of what I should save via the record button – what to save and what not to. Also, is there limited space to save recordings in the journal section? That is another concern - if I start recording everything I encounter and run out of room. Lastly I just finished the initial dungeon quest for the missing convicts, conversed with Redbeard, and gathered quests from around castle Avadon. Seeing as how I have been naive about recordings till now, should I start the game over? Have I missed any special, vital journal recordings?

I find the record button rarely is relevant in the more recent games because there are extra places to find information if you forget. (this is a good thing)

The only time I have found it to be very useful is during geneforge games when you occasionally stumble onto secret recipes and things like that. Recording the recipe for future can save some time and effort trying to remember it.

So far, on my way through the game, I have been stashing all the useful items in my quarters in Avadon castle. I sell everything else. Now, with items such as weapons, armor, magical scrolls and appropriate items, I have been saving because I might be able to provide them to one of the playable characters. Is this necessary, or should I sell anything I don't need for my main character?

That's one reason I made myself take out a variety of groups during the earlier parts of the game...since I tended to equip the people I was actually with, if I made sure to take them all out sometimes, everyone got at least a respectable mix of equipment. In A3 it was easier as every trip to an anvil (or a hand camp) made everyone's inventory accessible at once.

Is there a place in Avadon: the Black Fortress where I can get lockpicks conveniently? I have the money to buy them, and I have used the ones in Castle Avadon (from the guy that sold me my first scarab) and from a merchant in Goldcrag. I am hoping there is a place to get an abundance of lockpicks.

A few things - first, is it true that eventually the player can play all the Hands at one time? Also, is it true that if the party is high enough in level for the lockpicking skill, some chests/doors/etc can be opened without a lockpick - if the lock is low enough in difficulty level. Also is it true that the game came be finished without completing all of the quests?

1) Technically, yes, but only for one (big) battle at the end. For more than 99% of the game, your party size is 3.

2) Yes.

3) For sidequests, yes. The main quests that advance the storyline all have to be completed. (You have one of these at a time, and it generally appears at the top of your quest list.)

So, I understand that there are two Hand characters with the lock picking skill. With that, they lower the amount of lock picks needed when opening doors, chests, etc. I have increased the lock picking skill to the max (4 skill points) for both characters. Now, what is the ratio for skill vs lock picks? Does each skill point take the place of a lock pick?

Hey guys, a few things - I am trying to free Quennel from the Avadon dungeon, I was told by the Eye Dungeon guard (sorry, I don't remember his name off hand) – he said to consult Heat Callahan. My quest list shows that for the same quest, I need to talk to Febron in Avadon – where is he (Febron)? I have walked all around the city but can't find him. Second, I talked Abi about Tartam fencing weapons, I went through the Wench dungeons, and I went back to Abi to tell him what happened but the conversation choices keep going in circles. Lastly, there are three or four active quests in my quest book that I feel will turn out badly. Should I do them anyway?

Doing quests is the best way to get better equipment. Some quest require you to do things you don't want to do so it's up to you to decide. A few times you can do the morally right choice and just lie about doing it.

Fabron is the upper level of Avadon where Redbeard sits.

Abi's quest requires going to the Kva outside of Avadon by portal.

Your resistances are capped at 90%, and it's pretty hard to get them even that high because of the way armour and resistances work (basically, you can think of all your sources of protection as a series of layers, each of which lets a percentage of damage through to the next, so there's always some damage that gets through to you in the end).