A few minor questions

I'm playing Escape from the Pit on a Mac. It's going well so far. I actually tried it before and kind of lost interest when I was wiped out by the Escaped experiment, but this time I'm using a walkthrough to direct my adventure a bit so I'm doing better.

1. Is there a way to highlight any secret room switches, things to click on, containers, etc. around you?

2. Is there a list of key shortcuts (looked in the rules and couldn't find one)

3. I don't *think* I found a bag of sugar in Fort Avernum. Is there a bag of sugar later in the game?

4. I reloaded, but I noticed in one of the towns, after you dispel a rune, you can open a chest and get a pair of gloves, but if you do you get a dread curse. What does that do to you? I assume it's bad. The spectres that show up with the other chest indeed zapped me quickly.

5. I'm just rounding level 8. My fighter (Aldus) is using the Nephil Warblade and has just scored the Radiant shortblade. He's been using a shield but I guess it's time to go dual weapon. I assume I should put my second skill point into dual weapon and my perk into ambidexterity? Or should I put both skill points into dual wield? Should I switch to 2 weapons now or once I achieve some skill level?

6. My "rebel" is using a Nephil war spear (good weapon but non magical) and thus no shield. He has his points in pole weapons on the theory that she can take advantage of any big pole weapons in the game. Was this wise, or should I use the character editor to move those points to swords and go dual wield for her too. Note that using the character editor doesn't bother me.

7. The walkthrough recommends spending very little in the stores and using money to buy skills which I'm mostly doing. But I just had a horrible knock down drag out battle that consumed a lot of my stuff (it was the battle for the pommel of Demonslayer). Now I could use a group heal scroll or two and some more healing potions and some more wands. Any recommendations on the best place to get them in the first part of the game? That last fight killed 3 of 4 characters! Those demons were vicious.

I'm playing Escape from the Pit on a Mac. It's going well so far. I actually tried it before and kind of lost interest when I was wiped out by the Escaped experiment, but this time I'm using a walkthrough to direct my adventure a bit so I'm doing better.

1. Is there a way to highlight any secret room switches, things to click on, containers, etc. around you?

Hit the U key on your keyboard.

2. Is there a list of key shortcuts (looked in the rules and couldn't find one)

I think there should be one in the Settings menu.

3. I don't *think* I found a bag of sugar in Fort Avernum. Is there a bag of sugar later in the game?

You can find a few of them in various places. This item list gives more details.

4. I reloaded, but I noticed in one of the towns, after you dispel a rune, you can open a chest and get a pair of gloves, but if you do you get a dread curse. What does that do to you? I assume it's bad. The spectres that show up with the other chest indeed zapped me quickly.

It's basically a small penalty to everything you do: 5% less chance to hit with all your attacks, a little less damage, and so on. You can get more than one dread curse, and they stack. It can be removed, but not for free.

5. I'm just rounding level 8. My fighter (Aldus) is using the Nephil Warblade and has just scored the Radiant shortblade. He's been using a shield but I guess it's time to go dual weapon. I assume I should put my second skill point into dual weapon and my perk into ambidexterity? Or should I put both skill points into dual wield? Should I switch to 2 weapons now or once I achieve some skill level?

I don't think you can put more than one skill point into a single skill per level. Anyway, dual-wielding is the way to go in the long run but might not give you a significant damage boost just yet, especially if you're still having trouble hitting things: I'd say the time to switch to dual wielding is once you can reliably get a 90% hit chance on everything you're fighting. So if you're doing that, you're good to go.

6. My "rebel" is using a Nephil war spear (good weapon but non magical) and thus no shield. He has his points in pole weapons on the theory that she can take advantage of any big pole weapons in the game. Was this wise, or should I use the character editor to move those points to swords and go dual wield for her too. Note that using the character editor doesn't bother me.

Pole weapons are worse for raw damage than dual-wielding once you're past the very early game, although they're not unusable. You can switch to a second dual-wielder if you want to optimise. (But really, if you wanted to be super-optimal, you'd be better off changing your second physical fighter into another mage anyway.)

7. The walkthrough recommends spending very little in the stores and using money to buy skills which I'm mostly doing. But I just had a horrible knock down drag out battle that consumed a lot of my stuff (it was the battle for the pommel of Demonslayer). Now I could use a group heal scroll or two and some more healing potions and some more wands. Any recommendations on the best place to get them in the first part of the game? That last fight killed 3 of 4 characters! Those demons were vicious.

Not sure about this one, honestly; I pretty much just accumulated stuff as I went and didn't have too many problems with running out of items. You could search the item list I linked above for items you're interested in.

If you turn on the transcript/log window in your settings, hit chances will show up in there when you attack.

This is not the white back window on top of the row of buttons, but a different window? In the console window that is up by default I've seen percentages when the character hits but I thought that was a roll rather than a percentage that they could hit? Or is this a different window that I activate? Or do you review the log at the end?