A way to speed up walking in the game?

ged

Does anyone know if there is a cheat or some way to speed up the rate the characters walk around at?

I feel like I'm doing a lot more walking, less fighting in this avadon. That's okay because I love the story and narrative options so far. Only have so much time I can spend playing video games these days so I would love to maximize the action a lil bit. :D

can't speed up walking (besides tampering game code).

yeah party walks alot more in Avadons than in Avernums since in latter party teleports to correct or closest place to correct place (outside Vahnatai lands) while in Avadon party walks surrounded by trees from entrance to wanted place and quite often no straight path.

randomizer's tip worked in GF3 and earlier but not in later games, http://spiderwebforu...ge__hl__walking

Once you have visited an outdoor map, definitely take advantage of the ability to leave one side of a map and appear on another side of the map. For example the once you have gotten to the Drake near Green Refuge the first time, future trips can be made by leaving the HQ to the South and then re-entering the map on the East side.

Actually, you can edit the av3itemchars,txt file. To be safe, you should copy the original file to a different directory first.

There are a fairly large number of instances of the following line;

cr_walk_speed = 24;

You might try changing it for your main character first - if you are happy with the result you might change the walk speed of everyone in your party. Of course, if you do encounter any problem, you can just replace your edited file with the original.

I have done this using a cr_walk_speed = 48; and have experienced no problems.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers!

As Randomizer suggested above, this method of changing walking speed can result in problems. Specifically,

1) it can result in glitches during cutscenes where your party moves automatically. Usually these are just visual glitches but there have been cases in the past where battles or conversation nodes are skipped; if you miss the right ones, it can result in not setting variables that screw things up later. Not likely, but possible.

2) You will also speed up some NPC and enemy movement unless you put in a new walking speed call in any definitions that inherit your PC's defs, but don't already set it to 24. This is less of a problem but it can result in NPCs that are surprisingly hard to talk to, because they are hard to click on.

They do all seem to be set to 30. (And I *thought* it seemed like walking was slightly faster than I remembered, when I started playing Av3; glad I wasn't crazy in thinking that.)

I believe you need to change the definitions file and then start a new game to have the different walking speed. The definitions are loaded the first time your PCs are used, and then they are saved in your save file.

THANK YOU!!! This is literally the best thing that has ever happened to this game. Waiting for walking was bogus. Walking speed is now perfect. Totally worth restarting my game!

On a side note, I always thought there should be a "speed up button" so if you hit, for instance, the space bar while you were walking, the game turn speed would quadruple or something so you'd move very fast until you got where you were going or something interrupted the walking like combat or a special encounter. This would be great in future versions. It would be especially helpful later in the game once area are cleared out,but you still need to trek around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I'm about halfway into my second playthrough. This time I've increased the speed from 30 to 48, which is nice, maybe even a hair fast.

The only bug I've noticed is that sometimes when I click a space to move to or someone to attack that's further away in battle mode, the character only moves 1-2 spaces and then their turn is over. This is very rare. This may or may not be related to changing the walking speed, I really don't know, but I didn't experience that on my first playthrough (played the first time without editing the walking speed). It's a bit annoying, but it hasn't caused me to lose any battles I would have won otherwise... yet.

Also I threw a razor spray once and no one took any damage. That only happened once so far. Again, don't know if it's related but I didn't experience that on my first time around.

Other than that it's worked flawlessly! Thanks mrb and Adolescents & Sensibility for your help.

Does cheat engine work? Try it if you wish to, last week I was using it on Geneforge saga, works great. Set some hotkeys for speed 1.0 and speed 2.0, sth like that, and you can walk faster/slower any time you wish, works like wonder in Geneforge where you need to do stealth a lot, probably not as vital in Avadon series but should be nice to switch freely. The whole game speed is changed so it probably shouldn't cause any problems.

If you use the character editor: http://spiderwebforu...aracter-editor/

And add the following to "z3goldcragdlg.txt", it'll let you choose from a few different speed settings:

begintalknode;
state = 414;
nextstate = -1;
condition = 1;
question = "I am absolutely sure. Gimme.";
text1 = "OK. Go nuts.";
code =
i = 0;
while(i <= 3) {
sf(95,i,1);
i = i + 1;
}
i = 554;
while(i <= 579) {
reward_give(i);
i = i + 1;
}
end();
break;

begintalknode;
state = 400;
nextstate = 400;
condition = 1;
question = "I want to walk at 30.";
text1 = "Walk speed set to 30";
code =
i = 0;
while(i <= 4) {
set_walk_speed(i, 30);
i = i + 1;
}
break;

begintalknode;
state = 400;
nextstate = 400;
condition = 1;
question = "I want to walk at 45.";
text1 = "Walk speed set to 45";
code =
i = 0;
while(i <= 4) {
set_walk_speed(i, 45);
i = i + 1;
}
break;

begintalknode;
state = 400;
nextstate = 400;
condition = 1;
question = "I want to walk at 60.";
text1 = "Walk speed set to 60";
code =
i = 0;
while(i <= 4) {
set_walk_speed(i, 60);
i = i + 1;
}
break;

Actually, you can edit the av3itemchars,txt file. To be safe, you should copy the original file to a different directory first.

There are a fairly large number of instances of the following line;

cr_walk_speed = 24;

You might try changing it for your main character first - if you are happy with the result you might change the walk speed of everyone in your party. Of course, if you do encounter any problem, you can just replace your edited file with the original.

I have done this using a cr_walk_speed = 48; and have experienced no problems.

Hope this is useful,

Cheers!

This works great. Thanks for the tip mrb.

Now is there a way to slow down other characters so you can start a dialog without running back and forth trying to connect with a moving target?

2) You will also speed up some NPC and enemy movement unless you put in a new walking speed call in any definitions that inherit your PC's defs, but don't already set it to 24. This is less of a problem but it can result in NPCs that are surprisingly hard to talk to, because they are hard to click on.

The only bug I've noticed is that sometimes when I click a space to move to or someone to attack that's further away in battle mode, the character only moves 1-2 spaces and then their turn is over. This is very rare.

Update:

I've done some testing and this is a very real bug that is directly related to setting walking speed above 30 (the actual default the game uses -- not the 24 stated above, which may have been used in earlier games), and it isn't actually rare.

Basically, if your walking speed is above 30, and you walk adjacently past certain types of blocking objects (lampposts, rockpiles, almost anything freestanding), the movement processor will bug out, because it thinks you are on top of the object. (It does not matter if you are walking near or far, and it does not matter if your walking path would use up all your available AP or not.)

With 30 walking speed, the timing is such that it only checks when you aren't on the object, but with higher speed, it doesn't line up like that. Then, depending on your movement path and speed, it will either

(1) nudge you out slightly at the cost of an AP or two and let you continue;

(2) as 1, but also it will change your route to send you around the other side of the object instead; or

(3) get you stuck walking into and out of the object until all your AP is used up, and then the game places you next to it.

1 and 2 are more likely at lower speeds, while 3 is more likely at higher speeds. 3 happens very quickly at those speeds, but if you set your speed to, e.g., 31, you can see it much more clearly.

This does not appear to happen with actual walls at all, I think due to the fact that there is always an unoccupied part of the square with the wall on it, facing the open area. So this can be played around, to a certain extent, if you really want a faster walking speed. But any time you have a combat in close quarters with objects, say around one of those campfire circles, you're going to have movement problems that the enemy doesn't. Particularly a problem for PCs using melee attacks, I think.