Newbie here with questions about gameplay...

Gavindale Marchovia

I have just started playing Avadon - my first time - and I have a couple questions. First, I know how to access my character's inventory and abilties, but I dont know how to access my character's other data, anything character relate like atributes and such. How do i go about seeing my character's stats? Also, how do I augment my character's abilties - improve them and access new ones?

Another small question – I am in the first dungeon, and came across one of the prisoners that I need to either kill or apprehend – I have one of the hired help with me, the swordsman – but when I engage the prisoner before me, I don't seem to be inflicting enough damage to subdue him before both my fighter companion and I run out of health. I know I have an ability to recover health, but still by the time my heath gets low enough to be a problem, and I use this skill, I end up spending more of the combat healing and not enough time attacking. If this question is a dumb one, I apologize, but hey, I'm new with this game!

Something I am a little unclear about - as I trek along this first dungeon, as I come across a chest or cabinet or what-have-you, sometimes as I am looting, I get a message about how i don't have enough action points. I don't know what that means, but I have an idea - I used to play the Heroes of Might and Magic series - in that game, when you do things like walk around or attack, all actions cost the player points, so if you have a total of 10 points, and attack for 4 points, the player can now only move 6 spaces, rather than 10 spaces if he/she didn't attack in the first place. Is this how action points work in Avadon? If so, how do I know how many action points I have to work with?

1) Have you equipped your weapons and armor? You should be dealing way more damage than enemies in this dungeon, if you have.

2) AP are displayed on the PC portrait when they are active. Moving 1 square costs 1 AP. Attacking costs 9 AP. You can go below zero without penalty, so if you start with 8 AP, you can move up to 7 squares and then attack.

3) Are you aware that the game has a combat mode and a walkabout mode? AP only applies in combat mode and there's no reason to be in combat mode when there aren't enemies around and you are looting chests.

This is mostly covered by the in-game tutorial pop-ups. It also sounds like you might appreciate the in-game manual which has a lot of this type of information.

A thought - I was looting a cabinet and as I took things to put in my inventory, i tried to pick up everything, and I got half of the contents into my possession before I got a message about how I couldnt not take anything else out of the cabinet because I was out of aciton points. How many points does it take to remove an item out of a container?

In combat mode it takes 1 action point to remove or drop an item. It takes no action points to transfer an item to another character. If you are out of action points, then leave the inventory screen. You will need to close and open the container again using 2 action points.

Usually you save looting until after combat unless you need an item for that combat.