Finished Avadon 3; what I want to try for my 2nd play through

BenS

aka what I missed out on in the 1st game:

1) never hit 30th level. Part of my problem was that by the time I realized I had missed the entire Temple of Velusa map, and went back to Redbeard, I couldn't get the option to open the map up. Maybe I did something wrong? But at that point, I didn't want to lose out on hours since my last real save, and went ahead and finished the game. That said, after finishing the game, I did go back to that earlier save just so I could finish more quests and do that map (and get some more Steam achievements along the way while I was at it). But I stopped playing after finishing that map. I seem to have missed a few quests; or maybe, they weren't available to me b/c I was pro-Redbeard? Hard to say.

2) never got all 8 rare items for Nicodemus. I got 6 of the 8; didn't even know how many there were until consulting a pinned list by Randomizer (thank you).

3) after playing on Normal, I'd like to try (gulp) Hard for a change. I'm a little worried about friendly fire (sob*Daze*sob), but we'll see how it goes. Another play through (spellcatcher keeps making that 2 words...maybe it is...) will give me at least 1 more main companion to try. I created a Shadowwalker and took along Khalida & Nathalie. In my next game, I'd like to try a Tinkermage (maybe even disregard the turret-focus altogether for a challenge) and bring along Botan & Nathalie (how can anyone not take her--she's awesome in battle).

4) figure out what to do w/ all those Potions of Disguise. When a 2nd one dropped, I thought it was a bug! Then others came in time.

5) I need to think about whether I want to try 2-handed weapons for a change. This might be good early-to-mid game, when physical dmg is still worthwhile, but I worry that strategy won't serve me as well (and by me, I mean Botan) late game. Maybe I could switch to sword & shield by then. This is a tough one; shields are great in this game. Though w/ a little micro-management based on my enemies, nothing says I couldn't switch between them throughout the game I guess...

6) I was so paranoid about wasting an inferior runestone on my gear, I never did buff up my best stuff and stupidly hoarded a ton of runestones. What a waste! Now that I know what's available, I won't be so stupid the next time through.

7) As long as I'm confessing to stupidity, I also hoarded all kinds of potions/elixirs and never used them (beyond healing potions and the occasional speed potion). Of course, on Hard, I'll be hard-pressed not to use them I suspect. I did use the various wands (except the Corruption ones--D'oh!) and scrolls (no Resurrection b/c I wanted a particular Steam Achievement).

8) Maybe try some different skill-sets for Nathalie & Botan. Though I need to make sure they complement my own, especially if I more or less ignore Turrets.

That's all I can think of. I know the Avadon series has been a divisive one for long-time fans, but I've enjoyed them very much personally. I'm a little sad it's over.

1) Some side quests are hard to get unless you pick the right dialogue option or even notice to click on the right NPC. I missed a few the first time through especially in Fort Foresight. You can easily wind up doing them before talking to the quest giver and finding out there was a reward.

2) The rare items are hard to find or well protected.

4) The Potion of Disguise

gives you a medal when used.

6) The best runestones don't appear until the middle of the game. Even then you haven't got all the best equipment to use them on for most characters.

7) There is less need to hoard until the final battle and there are some boss fights that are easier if you use them.

Have fun replaying the game. Friendly fire isn't that bad unless you are tired and click before checking that you aren't hitting your party. :)

Friendly fire was kind of a huge nerf to the sorcerer class, and made tinkermages even more useful and overpowered, since turrets don't do friendly fire, do good damage and can tank a lot of enemies. All the while giving you healing and buffs or debuffs. Besides that, it didn't make the game harder at all. Sorcerers are less useful, but that's it.

Sorcerers are still great on torment difficulty if used properly. There are plenty of fights against magical attacking monsters where being able to absorb magical damage means they can even survive reflection.

Friendly fire just means more care in moving characters to leave clear fields of fire.

I'm going to try, as I said earlier, a turret-less Tinkermage for more of a challenge. I am chomping at the bit for 1.0.1, though; I would prefer to play a 2nd game fresh w/ whatever changes make it into the game, rather than fire up Steam one day and find out certain things work differently...

I didn't find friendly fire to be a very big deal, despite spending 90% of the game making area attacks (thanks to Charge Weapons + scarabs + Shrapnel Grenade).

It also didn't really make Tinkermages any better considering how much turrets were nerfed -- offensive turrets are no longer a real strength of theirs.

I got the freezing turret as early as possible and it was the best tank I could've hoped for in torment difficulty, it took my blademaster quite a while to be anywhere near as good. Leaving a turret to hold off and tank huge mobs worked pretty much from the start to the end of the game, which I appreciated.

The thing about friendly fire is that it's not very compatible with using a blademaster to walk around attracting mobs to tank damage, you need to maneuver the spells around him and hit less enemies as a result. It usually only served to make fights drag on for longer, not really adding that much difficulty.