Lots of questions about Avadon 3 story (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Krow

In my playthrough I attempted to remain neutral most of the game, dodging any decisive answers to polarizing dialogue options. My goal was to get Protus and Redbeard to kill each other in the end so I could take over as Keeper and do away with Avadon. Redbeard ended up killing Protus and I chose to kill Redbeard. I tried to avoid my duty as Keeper afterward, but the Hearts wouldn't let me leave. Here are my questions:

1. Will there be another Avadon game?

2. The ending mentioned we never find out how Redbeard stayed young. Is there a way to find this answer?

3. I gave Dirran Redbeard's hair, but nothing came of it in the ending. What's that all about?

4. I'm pretty sure I didn't poison Redbeard's anti-corruption potion, but in the final battle he was affected by it anyway. Anyone else experience this?

5. What caused the corruption? I know Miranda was a large part, but in the end it says it's still a mystery.

6. Are the three hands who assassinate me at the end significant in any way? Is it just poetic justice for the Hands I killed? Can my death or the hands' deaths be prevented?

7. Can Protus's death be prevented?

8. The dragon Zethren is foreshadowed by Dheless to be a force of destruction. I cleared the arena for him to roost in and that was that. I chose not to kill him because I thought he might impact the ending. Is there any more regarding the dragon?

9. How do I find out the identity of the shade in the Spiral library? The one Natalie takes you to. I spent tons of time down there and couldn't figure it out.

10. Is there a "best" ending? Or is it purposefully left grey, as is the nature of politics?

11. I chose not to update Protus on Redbeards activity. Ones like Snarl the Wretch and Dirran. Does this matter in regards to the story?

12. Does reporting to Callan about your hands change anything significantly? I chose not to report to her. I omitted information from both Redbeard and Protus whenever I could.

13. Is Dheless basically doomed? I tried to keep an open mind whenever I talked to him, but it seems there is nothing that can be done for him.

Thanks for reading and taking any time to answer the questions. There just isn't any information out on the game right now because it was just released and I am dying to know the answers to these.

1) Jeff will probably not do another Avadon game because he finished his story and he never wants to write about that many factions again.

2) No way to find out Redbeard's secrets.

3) Giving Dirran Redbeard's hair prevents him from using his magic during the final battle at one point.

4) The effect of Redbeard's flask being poisoned by Protus prevents a certain thing from happening during the final battle. It only happens if the flask was changed in Avadon.

5) Avadon 2 gives the examples of what might have caused the Corruption or they may have all been lies.

6) The Hands at Fort Foresight are a forced encounter with no way around it. You can make up for it with some quests in the fort.

7) No

8) No since there isn't an Avadon 4.

9) All you know is what you got there.

10) There isn't supposed to be a "best" ending. There are better endings for some characters.

11) No

12) not reporting to Callan means slightly less experience.

13) Dheless is a forced ending. The only difference is whether his talking to you causes you to help the Farlanders in the end.

5) Avadon 2 gives the examples of what might have caused the Corruption or they may have all been lies.

My personal theory is that the Corruption is a kind of nexus between alternate universes with different and mutually hostile physical laws; each version of the Corruption's origin story happened in one of the universes that are now connected to it.

For the record, I have no idea how The Corruption was created. I considered figuring it out, but I realized it was much more fun to write when I didn't know.

I REALLY enjoyed writing everything in The Corruption.

The corruption was one of my favorite bits too. I was transfixed during the entire Miranda sequence. Thanks for the responses Randomizer, Jeff. I will never forget Spiderweb Software games, old and new, and look forward to the next title. Cheers!

That's a good question about Zhethron. Why does Dheless tell you talk to him? He seems to have no relationship whatsoever to the ending or the rebellion.

I think since Dheless has no way of bringing Zhethron under his control or as an ally, he wants the player to eliminate him as a threat or get killed trying.

Yeah, I also interpreted it as "go get killed by that dragon plz", and it's relevant because if left unchecked, Zethron would start a mess by uniting the wrong crowd and creating a possible strong enemy to the pact.

It doesn't fit completely because Zethron only finds that new lair with the player's help, though. I was waiting for Zethron to betray the pact and appear as the last boss when you finally meet Dheless for the last time. That would've been damn cool.

So ala previous spoilerific posts ( http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/20106-which-options-matter-super-spoilerific/ ) - which decisions/conversation trees matter, and how?

I've gone through once by roleplaying it, and while either the game itself (when you first talk to Redbeard) or Protus tell you that stuff will go on your permanent record - does it matter what I say to the smith or assistant librarian or other Redbeard loyalists in Avadon proper? How about the rebels, if I tell them that Avadon should/shouldn't be merciful, does this make any difference?

I'd be curious to know.

For the record, I have no idea how The Corruption was created. I considered figuring it out, but I realized it was much more fun to write when I didn't know.

I REALLY enjoyed writing everything in The Corruption.

- Jeff Vogel

corruption is the best thing from the series. then tawon is fascinating too.

too bad we get lots of the boring ones (wyldrim imo) and less of the more interesting ones (lands of titans, tawon, and corruption)

i am also fascinated by the collective consciousness of the corruption too

That's a good question about Zhethron. Why does Dheless tell you talk to him? He seems to have no relationship whatsoever to the ending or the rebellion.

At that point, Dheless still seems to have some hope of winning the war. Zhethron is a Pact ally, at least for the time being, so I figure Dheless is trying to get me to weaken the pact by killing him. (I ended up killing him anyway but only after we were much closer to victory.) It may be he approached Zhethron and was rejected, so that he wants to see Zhethron punished for this (I imagine he contacted every dragon he could in addition to the Warborn and other Farlands.)

The ending mentioned we never find out how Redbeard stayed young. Is there a way to find this answer?

While the game doesn't tell, my own theory is that he used Tawon-style necromancy to make himself something like a Tawon God. (Redbeard in Av-1, so I'm told, and Velusa in Av-3, so I saw, both use soul jars...and both are a little bit wacko on the subject of their own power. And both have an inherent instability that gets worse with time. Redbeard also makes a common at one point that he is "no longer human"...or something like that.)