Sound Effects

DrProfessor

Has anyone else noticed that the sound effects in the exile trilogy seem identical to the stock effect sounds used in that old 90's anime hunter x hunter? are the effects taken from some sort of open source arena, or are the developers closet anime nerds, or am I just crazy?

It's pretty common for media creators to use sound libraries. They're not necessarily "open source"; the general business model is that you can pay a flat fee to get a non-exclusive licence. In short, if you hear the same sounds in two different works it's probably because they bought the sounds from the same place.

Has anyone else noticed that the sound effects in the exile trilogy seem identical to the stock effect sounds used in that old 90's anime hunter x hunter? are the effects taken from some sort of open source arena, or are the developers closet anime nerds, or am I just crazy?

What sound effects in particular? I don't think I can identify any.

It depends upon the licensing agreement and Jeff is good at making sure he stays legal.

Well, I don't know. He doesn't remember whether the E3 graphics were included in his initial "full rights, no royalty, lump sum" approach to graphics from early on because he doesn't remember when he stopped doing it, except... they were literally the first graphics he bought at all, so there's really no way it logically could have come after. He made the original E1 and E2 graphics himself.

It makes me a little nervous...

• 6 months later...

Links to the sounds in particular? Most people use sound effects library's when needed doing sound effects aka Foley is an art all it's own. Also at that time recording anything and getting it on a computer was a task and a half, not to mention that when you did that on 8 or 16 bit, it wouldn't sound like what you put in.