Sound Effects

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
DrProfessor DrProfessor

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,652
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:44 AM #1 Sound Effects

Has anyone else noticed that the sound effects in the exile trilogy seem identical to the stock effect sounds used in that old 90's anime hunter x hunter? are the effects taken from some sort of open source arena, or are the developers closet anime nerds, or am I just crazy?

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:31 AM #2 Sound Effects

View PostDrProfessor, on 21 September 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Has anyone else noticed that the sound effects in the exile trilogy seem identical to the stock effect sounds used in that old 90's anime hunter x hunter? are the effects taken from some sort of open source arena, or are the developers closet anime nerds, or am I just crazy?

It's pretty common for media creators to use sound libraries. They're not necessarily "open source"; the general business model is that you can pay a flat fee to get a non-exclusive licence. In short, if you hear the same sounds in two different works it's probably because they bought the sounds from the same place.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:29 PM #3 Sound Effects

How does that fact impact Jeff's ability to release all BoE resources under GNU GPL 3.0, like he did? I hope we're not going to run into trouble.
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:21 AM #4 Sound Effects

It depends upon the licensing agreement and Jeff is good at making sure he stays legal.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Venus Ursagi Venus Ursagi

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,723 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:46 PM #5 Sound Effects

View PostDrProfessor, on 21 September 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

What sound effects in particular?  I don't think I can identify any.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,402 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:29 PM #6 Sound Effects

View PostRandomizer, on 22 September 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

It depends upon the licensing agreement and Jeff is good at making sure he stays legal.

Well, I don't know. He doesn't remember whether the E3 graphics were included in his initial "full rights, no royalty, lump sum" approach to graphics from early on because he doesn't remember when he stopped doing it, except... they were literally the first graphics he bought at all, so there's really no way it logically could have come after. He made the original E1 and E2 graphics himself.

It makes me a little nervous...
The unofficial Blades of Exile merchandise shop: No markups, cheap prices, quality printing! Spread the word!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users