Avadon 3 bugs

googoogjoob

I beat Avadon 3 earlier this morning. It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. Anyway tho I found some bugs and I don't really know where the best place to report them is? Here? Steam forums? Via email to the support address? I'm going with here though. Spoilers if you haven't beaten Avadon 3, obviously.

-Foresight spies quest triggers the "to the north..." spies escaping dialogue even if you're coming through the secret gate- seems like you need to have activated the escaping spies event first to be able to cut them off and fight them?

-same quest- after having cut off and killed the spies, if you take the overland way 'round back to the fort, the "to the north..." event fires AGAIN when you reach the appropriate area, despite said spies being dead

-after using the Fort Foresight portal to return to Avadon, using the Avadon portal dumps you back in Zhethron's Lair (which I assume it's not meant to do, as the destination of the Avadon portal changes from the Refuge to the Lair when Redbeard moves camp); this isn't game-breaking obviously, but it's pretty irritating

-during the final battle with Redbeard, at one point he staggered and the dialogue mentioned that he's being affected by the "poison which Protus put in his healing potion"... despite my refusing to let Protus taint the potion earlier (maybe it's assumed that since I'm fighting Redbeard, I turned on him long before?)

-not a bug, but somewhat incongruous: in the ending, the text first says that I (paraphrasing) "work behind the scenes to undermine Avadon's power and reach"- presumably because I earlier announced my intention to become Keeper and then step down; however, the ending later states that under my Keepership, Avadon reaches "new heights of power and prestige"- maybe because I became Keeper at all? It also mentions that I, as Keeper, both try to make peace without sowing the seeds of future rebellions, AND set up the conditions necessary for future revolt

The portal from Fort Foresight to Avadon is supposed to return you to Zhethron's Keep. This is deliberate.

Oh... is this so you can't screw up the scripting during the final return to Avadon sequence?

It'd be nice if it sent you back to Foresight until then, then swapped back to one of the other bases once you trigger the final sequence flag. Since your companions jump ship when you enter the portal, you have to run all the way back to the Fort from the lair to retrieve them, every time you use it. (It's pretty jarring in in-universe terms too, cause Zhethron's base is (in-universe) weeks of travel from Fort Foresight. Though it's not like travel time is totally consistent in plot terms, either.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm replaying the game as a different class and I noticed, what's, uh. Not quite a bug, but a discrepancy? When you meet Eye Laria in the dungeons, she describes herself as having been Head Librarian, and then reassigned to other duties following Miranda's betrayal, because they "didn't need librarians". But in Avadon 2, the head librarian is Eye Berenger, who explains explicitly that Redbeard sought him out as the best librarian in Kellemderiel, as they needed a new librarian to help rebuild the library. Also in Avadon 2, Laria is a tinkermage working on Avadon's defenses, and has nothing to do with the library. (Berenger has disappeared as of 3, maybe fleeing during Protus's purges of Redbeard loyalists.) Avadon 3's "Laria" also first appears in the dungeons as a tinkermage, then her sprite mysteriously switches to that of a sorceress by the time she reaches Zhethron's Keep, where she has no turrets or anything.

I guess you could try to explain this as Laria being promoted to Head Librarian, briefly, between the ending of Avadon 2 and Redbeard's disappearance, but it seems more likely that Mr Vogel passingly confused Eye Laria with Eye Leira from Avadon 1, who WAS the Head Librarian, but who dies in the attack on the castle in the endgame.

EDIT: Further confusing the issue, the commander of Fort Foresight in Avadon 3 is Eye Leora, whose dialogue portrait is a reuse of Eye Leira's from Avadon 1.

• 5 months later...

I am playing Avadon 3 in bits and scraps as I get time, and I noticed that... while you're not supposed to be able to insert or remove scarabs outside of certain places, you can actually unequip one anywhere by just right-clicking on it. Don't know if this was already reported somewheres. Playing on Windows 10.

I like to complete/explore all the details possible of all the maps, and today in Vana's Reach, the map exit just south of Trupo's Outpost, I think I discovered a bug in doing so.

When you get to the shaded area and it asks you if you are ready to leave the area, select "no" and keep going to the edge of the map. If you click back and forth at the very edges, and get someone to walk off-map, they disappear, and then if you wait until the next "are you ready" dialogue and click yes this time, doing so while they are off map, they will be permanently gone. This happened to Khalida in my case. I went back to the hand camp, the hands dispersed, I left the area, chose Khalida, and she was still "not there". She showed up as being a party member, but was simply not there.

I had to load a save from before I did that to get Khalida back.