Anyone here Deus Ex fans?

MrRoivas

As practically anyone with an internet connection probably knows, the latest Deus Ex game is coming out. I've pre-loaded it onto my hard drive, and I'm quite eager for it. It got me to thinking whether any sizable number of people in this community like the franchise as well. Its an RPG series, but always a shooter-RPG series, and shooters don't get discussed much here.

Short version of my thoughts: Played the first one back when there was only it and Invisible War, loved it, loved it, loved it. One of those games I'll remember forever and what not. Barely got past the tutorial level in Invisible War before I quit of out apathy and dislike. Loved HR, with the caveat that it seemed to me merely very very good, as opposed to flawed but great like the original.

If this thread gets any real response, I'll expand my comments for those who are interested.

The first was great. I've played it 3-4 times, although all over a decade ago now.

I played "Invisible War" just once on release, so I honestly can't remember much about it just that it was a disappointment.

Human Revolution is a solid shooter/stealth game, but I didn't love it as much as some people seemed to and I think it's kind of overrated. The storyline and protagonist were dull and while much better than "Invisible War," the world still seemed limited in scope compared to the original. And, yeah, it did seem too polished for its own good. It does what it does well, but it definitely doesn't reach anywhere near as far as the original.

In fact, if you want a modern game that comes close to living up to the original "Deus Ex," I'd say that "Dishonored" comes closer than any of Deus Ex's sequels. And its universe is way more interesting than anything in the Deus Ex sequels (definitely play that if you haven't). I'll still probably play the new Deus Ex eventually, though. It's just not really a day 1 purchase for me. More of a "once the GOTY is half off a year from now" purchase.

I played the first Deus Ex through a couple of times, but started playing it about half a dozen times. "Ahh, the Paris night life... Have a taste of wine for me, J.C.!" Oh, and roaming a creepy manor, looting throwing knives from the secret cabinets strewn throughout the place -- only in Deus Ex. When the second one was released, I got my hands on it, started it, and quite literally quit after five minutes. No... It was just ... no.

I've read an article that IW fell victim to the dev team listening too much to what the players thought was wrong with the first DE, but ignored the feedback on what was actually good. I also read that they had their moments of brilliance, but sadly I wouldn't know about it, myself. I could play the first one today and the sheer amount of nostalgia could easily carry me through but I feel like even so much as trying out IW would be just a bad idea. That's just me, though; not judging one way or another if someone liked it. My cousin liked it, for example, and I respect that. Just not my cup of tea.

As for Human Revolution? Damn, I love it almost as much I do the original. During both, DE1 and DE3, I'd often just stand around, or walk slowly, gazing at the scenes and taking all of the atmosphere in. In real life, especially during autumn, I like to load up the Deus Ex music from my player and go for a long walk after dark, feeling like an agent going about his business. Funny how the street lights in the night give exactly the same kind of atmosphere as is present in HR. Orange, black, gold, flashing ads, plastic and metal.

... Last but not least, have you people tried out the Mankind Divided? I'm torn between decisions. I've heard good things about it but also bad things. Without any spoilers, is the story good? Because I feel like that's the most important question when handling a Deus Ex game. If the gameplay is even half as good as it was in Human Revolution, it'd be a definite buy for me.

EDIT: I'm inclined to agree with you, Juan Carlo; might be a GOTY purchase for me too.

Ah, darn. Still, thanks for enlightening me. Admittedly, the storytelling in DE:HR about the theme of augmentation's morality and ethnicity was almost like an afterthought, wouldn't you say? It was like the plot required the theme to be there; as opposed to the theme allowing for the plot to exist and evolve naturally.

... Oh, and I hope you don't mind me saying but it's nice to see another Souls fan around here. ^^ *Proceeds immediately to praise the Sun upon noticing Dark Sun Gwyndolin's Crown.*