• Western/middle Pennsylvania
    • Philadelphia / lower NJ area
    • New York
    • New England
    • British Isles
    • Continental Europe
    • Australia
    • Other

Pick the best answer. Feel free to give more details in a post, or not. Categories have been chosen based on known member locations, which is why some are much more specific or cover a bigger or smaller area than others. Feel free to complain about them in a post, or not. Woo.

The East Coast is present in detail. Everything west of that is a few scattered specific locales, oddly mostly either containing s C or being Ohio. What about the Midwest? Pacific Northwest? Texas? Unclear if there's anywhere from those parts of the US but it's a little odd to have no options at all for anyone outside the known Spiderweb hotspots.

—Alorael, who also notes Alaska's tragic absence. Now how is he supposed to perpetuate his lies?

I live in Nevada, so I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to pick. Other, I guess.

I feel like Four Corners could have been replaced with a broader category. The way I usually hear that used applies to about a 100 mile radius from the quadripoint or, at most, the whole Colorado Plateau. I see Slarty sorted me there in the meetup thread, but it's probably not a label I would have applied to myself.

The Southwest would cover those four plus probably Nevada and Texas. Or just The West, which would also include Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho.

Really, I shouldn't be the one complaining (even though you told us to). I feel for the Spiderwebber in Oak Park trying to decide how broad your definition of Chicago is. :p

11 choices for the US, three for the rest of the world - Americans still find themselves picking 'other'.

If I were to offer my opinion I would suggest that your method of breaking down the regions has resulted in a less efficient sorting method than keeping them more general.

Yeah, it might've been a better idea just to use regular geographic regions rather than these inconsistent categories. For the U.S., the BEA regions are pretty good (New England, essentially Mid-Atlantic, South, Great Lakes, Plains, Southwest, Rocky Mountain, essentially West Coast), although I might want a few more granular distinctions (Upper South and Deep South, for example).

For the rest of the world, continents seem like a good starting point — although, again, a few more granular distinctions might be nice (especially for Africa and Asia, because they're so large).

Well, I suppose I did invite everyone to complain :)

Just to reiterate -- the reason for using these highly inconsistent categories, was because the goal was not to look at geographic distribution overall, but rather to show the most relevant detail in the least amount of options. Obviously having Africa, Asia, and a lot of other stuff rolled into "Other" isn't equitable, but given that no one has replied who is in Asia (all 4 "Other" responses are accounted for, and none of them are near any other respondants thus far), it wouldn't really help anything to split Asia into multiple parts. All of the areas specifically listed definitely have multiple members in them, accounting for people who haven't answered the poll, however small the areas may be.

Just to reiterate -- the reason for using these highly inconsistent categories, was because the goal was not to look at geographic distribution overall, but rather to show the most relevant detail in the least amount of options.

I get that, but it doesn't look like you've succeeded at even that goal.

And the terms that you've used are not very clear to people in those regions (e.g., "Four Corners area" to someone in Arizona probably means someone in northeast Arizona, but I think you meant to cover the whole state).

All of the areas specifically listed definitely have multiple members in them, accounting for people who haven't answered the poll,

Having categories that make sense only when the people you expect to answer actually do answer is not great poll design.

...it's almost like, since we already have this information about a bunch of other people, it isn't necessary for them to answer the poll -- it's easy enough to merge all that information.

This isn't complicated. Terms were picked to describe existing data, not cover all possibilities, and the post explicitly says "pick the best answer" in light of that. This is a message board, so where the categories are insufficient, people can post more information to clarify. *shrug*

My current address starts with a 1. Does that mean I have to change my PDN to "Benford?" :rolleyes:

Also, I guess Florida is "The South" for the porpoises of this poll?

Edit: off the top of my head, I can think of at least two other addresses I've had that also started with 1, one that started with 3, one that started with 2, and one that started with 5 (plus several other past residences whose addresses I don't recall).

And the terms that you've used are not very clear to people in those regions (e.g., "Four Corners area" to someone in Arizona probably means someone in northeast Arizona, but I think you meant to cover the whole state).

I grew up in New York so everything west of Pennsylvania can be called the West Coast.

If nothing else, I find it odd that the categories are non-overlapping. With several "Other" responses from people inside the US who feel their area isn't covered, I'd have added at the very least an "Other - North America" option, with the instruction to pick the most specific one applicable. Right now, for example, that would absorb 3/4 of the Other votes.

(I'm also not sure why Chicago and Wisconsin each get separate categories. They haven't been picked yet, and Wisconsin isn't particularly populous - #20 according to Wikipedia.)

California (Los Angeles).

I did live in actual Chicago for two years once. Maybe a good term to refer to Chicago and a somewhat vast suburban area (but not Iowa or Wisconsin) would be "Chicagoland." Also previously would have been able to answer Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Pacific Northwest, New England, The South, and Other x2.

I have lived at three addresses starting with a 1, but also nine addresses that have not, and five I can't remember/don't know.

Well let's see, from where I am now Ohio is about 12 miles north of me, so technically in 'the south'. However the southernmost point in Ohio is several miles south of me (& several dozen off to one side), so It's hard to pick 'the south' when parts of 'the north' are south of me.... confused yet? So I could justifiably pick 'Ohio' as that's much closer to me than the states that I do consider 'the south', but then again that would associate me with Cleveland & I just don't want that. 'Other' it is then....

As to the other developing thread offshoot - my parents lived/still live in a '1' & I did spend a few years in my own '1', however the vast majority of my home ownership (2 houses spanning 25+ years out of 30ish) has been with a '2'.

So with regards to the polls, put my square peg into whatever round hole you want. As usual I'm hard to classify/quantify

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA