Avernum 2: Invalid zone script

sillu012

Exact error printed: "Error: Tried to run invalid zone script.."

'Lost' 16 minutes of playing as rebooting nor reinstalling the game didn't help. No updates available for drivers. Game is bought on Steam.

Happened when I was inside Giants Fort walking towards Lady Gremlins (Quest: Find Gremlin Women.). Not yet sure if it would occur again if I try going there again later in the game.

Oh and, of course by reinstalling I meant "Delete Local Content" in Steam and downloading it again as there's no actual uninstall for Steam games.

For future reference, you can often fix a corrupted installation of a Steam game without having to redownload the whole thing if you right-click the game in your Steam library and select Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache -- although it seems like it might not have helped in your case if even reinstalling from scratch didn't do anything. (I'm not actually 100% clear on what you mean when you say that reinstalling didn't help: what exactly happened after you saw the error message, in terms of what you saw in-game and what actions you took? If you saved after seeing the error message, you should probably consider that save file a writeoff since saving the game while it was in a corrupted state means your save file will likely be corrupted as well.)

In general, if you see an error message like that, I'd recommend that you immediately exit the game without saving, open it up again, load your most recent save or autosave and go back to see if the same error happens again when you go to the same location; once in a blue moon a script just might not load correctly even if the file itself is fine. It might also be worth your while to download and run a hard drive monitoring utility like CrystalDiskInfo to make sure your problem isn't a failing drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late notice!

When the problem occured the first time, it also crashed my computer, everything went black and buttons were not functional. Autosave was just moments before the crash, I'm not sure how long :), probably something happened on that same moment.

Steam synchronizes savegames into their cloud, so I installed the game on other computer as well to make sure it's nothing to do with drivers etc, but same error. I guess the autosave was corrupted too.

Went there again, no problems occured this time. Just had to do some things again, nothing fatal :), just wondered if there were any other ways.. Was able to finish Gremlin Women quest without any further problems. I'll just try to save more often now, sometimes I play hours in a row without saving, and that would have been bad.

Thank you all for any help and advice!