Pliant Giant Pliant Giant

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 11:44 AM #36 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostDikiyoba, on 07 August 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

478. Ms. Ann Thrope - Discontent contestant on _But Who's Counting?_
Misanthropes really don't like people, and as such are likely to be discontented.
YES +3

https://youtu.be/WvF3F1IR3lM?t=1m40s

472. Overbooked Eumenides - When injustices continue to accrue
Eumenides is a name for the furies, which are the goddesses of vengeance. Too many cases of injustice would result in them being overbooked.
YES +3

It's a bit of a euphemism, often translated as "the kindly ones."

501. Sub Roma - Roman Restoration offers a Trojan allusion
Roma is Latin for Rome. Beneath Rome are extensive catacombs, which were abandoned and forgotten about, then rediscovered as an important historical and archaeological site, kind of the same way the location of the city of Troy was lost, then rediscovered as an archaeological site.
No, but plausible enough.  This PDN involves wordplay.

465. Ten Million Pounds of Sludge - Something I have remarkably little experience with
1. Because it's funny. 2. Hopefully it's also true.
No, but, yes, true.  The reference here is more specific.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

tridash tridash

Calculated.

• Member ID: 2,261
  • 299 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:13 PM #37 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

473. Pokemon Godel Number - A nonavigenseptencentesimal representation, perhaps

The PDN refers to both Pokemon Go and Godel numbering (which was used in the proof of Godel’s incompleteness theorems, and involves assigning integers to some objects). With all the new Pokemon generations coming out, any list of Pokemon can be proven to be incomplete, but a sensible way of numbering them would be by their pokedex number. At the time the clues were written, there were 729 Pokemon (though I think a few more have been announced now!).

484. Hell's Special Place - Something that may exist for my old landlord

Not a big fan of them?

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:53 PM #38 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View Posttridash, on 07 August 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

473. Pokemon Godel Number - A nonavigenseptencentesimal representation, perhaps

The PDN refers to both Pokemon Go and Godel numbering (which was used in the proof of Godel’s incompleteness theorems, and involves assigning integers to some objects). With all the new Pokemon generations coming out, any list of Pokemon can be proven to be incomplete, but a sensible way of numbering them would be by their pokedex number. At the time the clues were written, there were 729 Pokemon (though I think a few more have been announced now!).
YES +5

Godel numbering, btw, is one of the most insanely cool things ever.  It doesn't sound like it at first, but it really is.

484. Hell's Special Place - Something that may exist for my old landlord

Not a big fan of them?
YES +4
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,222
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:59 PM #39 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

459. Brits Enact Exile Plan - Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
This sounds like a reference to the very old SW thread "News at Eleven" in which real-life political figures were banished to Exile (if I remember my lore right), and to conservative news sites (like Fox News) claiming to be "fair" and "unbiased" compared to mainstream liberal media.

464. StatueHuge StatueBroken StatueateEmpire - Fragmentary fantasy of an Exile town planner, maybe
Statues are an important feature in Exile/Avernum, including ones that are alive that can talk to or attack the party. Looking at them would give you a description similar to those found in the PDN. One can imagine an architect laying out the pattern of statues in Silvar momentarily wishing they had the power to raise an army of living statues to take on the Empire.

487. Unexpurgatory - Place where questionable books go to be preserved
Expurgation is the censorship of offensive material from art and literature. The original version would be unexpurgated. Purgatory is a temporary state in the afterlife for purification until the dead are free to move on. Unexpurgatory would be where books hang out until they've been adequately censored or changing mores allow them to be published in their uncensored form.

491. Mortality Play - Last Rites, maybe
Morality plays occurred in the Middle Ages, and educated people about the importance of being virtuous. A mortality play would educate people on some facet of death. Last Rites are (typically) Catholic prayers given to someone who is dying or dead. They might be the topic of a Mortality Play.

Dikiyoba.

tridash tridash

Calculated.

• 299 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:14 PM #40 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

495. 1y 6n 1y 6n 1y 2n 1y 10n 1y 6n 1y 18n wam 1y! - In which Madeline Kahn makes some very BIG decisions

Empress Nympho (Madeline Kahn) selects from a lineup of soldiers for a midnight orgy in History of the World Part 1. The important parts are on display.

493. Slime had the Cough. - Rare cough drop

A slime occasionally will drop a rare item when killed; the rare item could be a cough. A slime with a cough would presumably welcome medicine.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:10 PM #41 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostDikiyoba, on 07 August 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

459. Brits Enact Exile Plan - Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
This sounds like a reference to the very old SW thread "News at Eleven" in which real-life political figures were banished to Exile (if I remember my lore right), and to conservative news sites (like Fox News) claiming to be "fair" and "unbiased" compared to mainstream liberal media.
NO
You're on the right track here, but it's a different old thread, and a different conservative figure than Fox News.

464. StatueHuge StatueBroken StatueateEmpire - Fragmentary fantasy of an Exile town planner, maybe
Statues are an important feature in Exile/Avernum, including ones that are alive that can talk to or attack the party. Looking at them would give you a description similar to those found in the PDN. One can imagine an architect laying out the pattern of statues in Silvar momentarily wishing they had the power to raise an army of living statues to take on the Empire.
YES +3
In fact, this PDN itself is a fragment of data from one of the Exile games.  I thought it was particularly funny.

487. Unexpurgatory - Place where questionable books go to be preserved
Expurgation is the censorship of offensive material from art and literature. The original version would be unexpurgated. Purgatory is a temporary state in the afterlife for purification until the dead are free to move on. Unexpurgatory would be where books hang out until they've been adequately censored or changing mores allow them to be published in their uncensored form.
YES +4
Purgatory suggests a place of purging; unexpurgatory then would be a place of not expurgating.

491. Mortality Play - Last Rites, maybe
Morality plays occurred in the Middle Ages, and educated people about the importance of being virtuous. A mortality play would educate people on some facet of death. Last Rites are (typically) Catholic prayers given to someone who is dying or dead. They might be the topic of a Mortality Play.
YES +4

View Posttridash, on 07 August 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

495. 1y 6n 1y 6n 1y 2n 1y 10n 1y 6n 1y 18n wam 1y! - In which Madeline Kahn makes some very BIG decisions

Empress Nympho (Madeline Kahn) selects from a lineup of soldiers for a midnight orgy in History of the World Part 1. The important parts are on display.
YES +3
Specifically, this is a shorthand version of the following line:

https://youtu.be/Gt7U0XycEJE?t=23s

The clue reference is at the end of this clip (note, not a Clue reference).

493. Slime had the Cough. - Rare cough drop

A slime occasionally will drop a rare item when killed; the rare item could be a cough. A slime with a cough would presumably welcome medicine.
YES +3
This is a play on 'drop' as 'rare item drop'.  The specific language, as the Slime may suggest, is from the Dragon Warrior series.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 07:14 PM #42 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

For convenience, here's a copy of the 23 remaining PDNs and clues.  (This post will not be updated further, but the original one will continue to be updated.)

452. Bestial Oblivion
455. Breathing in Fumes
456. Lost Property
457. Lost Properly
459. Brits Enact Exile Plan
460. Diversion Control
462. Safe Word Gauge
463. Wonderful Limitations
465. Ten Million Pounds of Sludge
469. Lynchpin
470. Could the heavens truly have sided with the apes?
471. That these bodies high on a stage be placed
475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts
479. Safety in Numbers
480. Striking Silent Letter of Them All
483. Detales
488. _phantasmal coarticulation_
489. Don't Cross Carolyn
490. Four Letter Patsy
494. Identification with the Romantic Irony
498. Haxing the l337 and twinking it to the n00b
499. O wad some Pow'r the giftsie gie us
501. Sub Roma

"Unnatural Selection?"
1st-level linguist grammar in which sounds appear to spread
A May update to an old Scorpius creation?
Advice for an aspiring apprentice
Danish Restoration's the thing
Duke Ellington's prescription for everybody
English Restoration, of modern sorts
Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
Fast counterpart to being stripped down to the bone
Helps keep a suspect class in their place; may be an ACME Chief
In M.P. Sex Row
In which Cloud is restrained, and takes damage
In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
Ironic counterpart to the old Disambiguation Cage
Made the monkey go to heaven
Majoritarianism, unless you fail the identity test and plummet
Modular counterpart to a whole story
Princely counterpart to a craven scruple
Roman Restoration offers a Trojan allusion
Snow White
Something I have remarkably little experience with
State secrets, maybe
The Malachite Brooch, maybe

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 10:00 AM #43 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

Now that these are more manageable, I'll tackle some more. I find it stressful when there's too many. :(

465. Ten Million Pounds of Sludge -- Made the monkey go to heaven
https://www.youtube....h?v=HsHITZRCgqs

...and there are lots of references I can still see but which I can't match up. :(

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:19 AM #44 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostSlarticuno (Team MystNik), on 08 August 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

465. Ten Million Pounds of Sludge -- Made the monkey go to heaven
https://www.youtube....h?v=HsHITZRCgqs
YES +3

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• Member ID: 10,154
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 08 August 2016 - 05:58 PM #45 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

471. That these bodies high on a stage be placed --Danish Restoration's the thing
Act V, Scene 2 from Hamlet is the course of the first part, which is the final scene of the play and includes the deaths of almost all of the characters, including Hamlet the King of Denmark who has just restored the throne of Denmark.  The second half also includes a version of "the play is the thing" which is a quote from the Act 2, Scene 2 of the same play.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:43 PM #46 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostEdgwyn, on 08 August 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

471. That these bodies high on a stage be placed --Danish Restoration's the thing
Act V, Scene 2 from Hamlet is the course of the first part, which is the final scene of the play and includes the deaths of almost all of the characters, including Hamlet the King of Denmark who has just restored the throne of Denmark.  The second half also includes a version of "the play is the thing" which is a quote from the Act 2, Scene 2 of the same play.
YES +3
This is Horatio's line from an exchange with Fortinbras, who somewhat ironically is the 'restoration figure' of the play, who restores order at the very end.  Hamlet unfortunately doesn't quite restore the throne himself due to (400 year old spoiler alert?) dying, and ceding the kingdom to Fortinbras.  I suppose he might technically be king for a few brief moments.

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 8,999 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:14 AM #47 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

452. Bestial Oblivion - Princely counterpart to a craven scruple
Another Hamlet reference. Prince Hamlet: "Now, whether it be / Bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple / Of thinking too precisely on the event"

456. Lost Property - The Malachite Brooch, maybe
The Malachite Brooch from Exile/Avernum is lost until the party finds it, so it might qualify as lost property.

459. Brits Enact Exile Plan - A May update to an old Scorpius creation?
This is a reference to the very old thread "Bush Enacts Exile Plan" or BEEP, which was apparently started by Scorpius, and of course the recent Brexit referendum.

Dikiyoba.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:32 AM #48 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostDikiyoba, on 09 August 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

452. Bestial Oblivion - Princely counterpart to a craven scruple
Another Hamlet reference. Prince Hamlet: "Now, whether it be / Bestial oblivion, or some craven scruple / Of thinking too precisely on the event"
YES +4
From maybe the best soliloquy ever.

456. Lost Property - The Malachite Brooch, maybe
The Malachite Brooch from Exile/Avernum is lost until the party finds it, so it might qualify as lost property.
NO

459. Brits Enact Exile Plan - A May update to an old Scorpius creation?
This is a reference to the very old thread "Bush Enacts Exile Plan" or BEEP, which was apparently started by Scorpius, and of course the recent Brexit referendum.
YES +3
The Brexit vote, of course, was in June; 'May' is a reference to Theresa May and the role she had/has re Brexit.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:26 AM #49 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

The remaining PDNs seem to be some kind of sticking point, so I'll offer some hints, along with this copy of the 19 remaining PDNs and clues.

455. Breathing in Fumes
456. Lost Property
457. Lost Properly
460. Diversion Control
462. Safe Word Gauge
463. Wonderful Limitations
469. Lynchpin
470. Could the heavens truly have sided with the apes?
475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts
479. Safety in Numbers
480. Striking Silent Letter of Them All
483. Detales
488. _phantasmal coarticulation_
489. Don't Cross Carolyn
490. Four Letter Patsy
494. Identification with the Romantic Irony
498. Haxing the l337 and twinking it to the n00b
499. O wad some Pow'r the giftsie gie us
501. Sub Roma

"Unnatural Selection?"
1st-level linguist grammar in which sounds appear to spread
Advice for an aspiring apprentice -- from an old commercial
Duke Ellington's prescription for everybody
English Restoration, of modern sorts -- perhaps not quite in the spirit of its medieval antecedent
Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
Fast counterpart to being stripped down to the bone -- from a 1986 UK hit
Helps keep a suspect class in their place; may be an ACME Chief
In M.P. Sex Row -- Orgy Of Alcohol And Sex Near M.P.'s House!
In which Cloud is restrained, and takes damage -- until he has reached his limit...
In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
Ironic counterpart to the old Disambiguation Cage -- could be used well by MediaWiki programmers
Majoritarianism, unless you fail the identity test and plummet -- eventually down to the Lifts
Modular counterpart to a whole story
Roman Restoration offers a Trojan allusion -- this, meanwhile, is a Shakespearean allusion
Snow White -- for example
Something I have remarkably little experience with
State secrets, maybe
The Malachite Brooch, maybe -- this one will require attention to detail

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:15 PM #50 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

470. Could the heavens truly have sided with the apes? -- "Unnatural Selection?"
Quotes from the game Chrono Trigger

tridash tridash

Calculated.

• 299 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:45 PM #51 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

489. Don't Cross Carolyn - Advice for an aspiring apprentice -- from an old commercial

Carolyn Kepcher was one of the advisers on the origin version of The Apprentice until 2006.

498. Haxing the l337 and twinking it to the n00b - English Restoration, of modern sorts -- perhaps not quite in the spirit of its medieval antecedent

The PDN refers to stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (as Robin Hood) with something of an MMO twist; twinking is giving the n00b equipment that only the l337 would normally have.

455. Breathing in Fumes - Fast counterpart to being stripped down to the bone -- from a 1986 UK hit

Stripped was a song by Depeche Mode; with lyrics "Stripped down to the bone" and "You're breathing in fumes". One of the B-side tracks, Breathing in Fumes, samples from Stripped.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:36 PM #52 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostEdgwyn, on 12 August 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

470. Could the heavens truly have sided with the apes? -- "Unnatural Selection?"
Quotes from the game Chrono Trigger
YES +2
Spoken by Azala, in the course of the defeat of his people at the hands of primitive humans; ironic, given that the heavens are in the process of sending down Lavos, who finalizes Azala's defeat but also destroys and feeds on human civilization; and aptly described by the chapter title, "Unnatural Selection?", given that Lavos's arrival is also indirectly responsible for causing humans to come from the future to aid the primitives in defeating Azala.

Posted Image

View Posttridash, on 12 August 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

489. Don't Cross Carolyn - Advice for an aspiring apprentice -- from an old commercial

Carolyn Kepcher was one of the advisers on the origin version of The Apprentice until 2006.
YES +3

498. Haxing the l337 and twinking it to the n00b - English Restoration, of modern sorts -- perhaps not quite in the spirit of its medieval antecedent

The PDN refers to stealing from the rich and giving to the poor (as Robin Hood) with something of an MMO twist; twinking is giving the n00b equipment that only the l337 would normally have.
YES +4

455. Breathing in Fumes - Fast counterpart to being stripped down to the bone -- from a 1986 UK hit

Stripped was a song by Depeche Mode; with lyrics "Stripped down to the bone" and "You're breathing in fumes". One of the B-side tracks, Breathing in Fumes, samples from Stripped.
YES +3

Fast was a clue to "depeche" (see the French).  As for the b-side, what a... confident piece of quasi-industrial deconstructed synthpop it is:

https://www.youtube....h?v=KZ0bSEghPRo

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:50 PM #53 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

494. Identification with the Romantic Irony -- Snow White -- for example
Romantic Irony is when a narrator indicates a story is true and the later on admits it is made up

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:26 PM #54 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

494 - NO
And I have to say I don't love the first definition google turns up for romantic irony, which is narrow and I think off-center.  Try this instead:

http://www.oxfordref...110803100427659

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:45 AM #55 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

Okay, this has been going on an exceptionally long time, so I think sometimes Tuesday I'm going to end it and post the remaining answers.  Feel free to make any number of guesses from now till then.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:05 PM #56 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts  -- In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
In the play The Tempest, Prospero is seen as Shakespeare talking to the audience

479. Safety in Numbers -- Modular counterpart to a whole story
Chapters are numbered and are the modules of a whole story

I think that this round was a bit overwhelming in its size

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 08:12 PM #57 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostEdgwyn, on 14 August 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts  -- In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
In the play The Tempest, Prospero is seen as Shakespeare talking to the audience
NO - but you're headed in the right direction here, at least partially

479. Safety in Numbers -- Modular counterpart to a whole story
Chapters are numbered and are the modules of a whole story
NO - reasonable enough, but doesn't really explain the safety

I think that this round was a bit overwhelming in its size
Very true.  I didn't intend for it to get this big.  Now it's shrunk down quite a bit though, less than 20 left.  *shrug*

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:48 AM #58 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

Delete.
One of my clues was used already.
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:44 PM #59 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

I'm stuck, I have parts of clues ranging from Shakespeare to Burns, but I am not able to connect anything

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 8,999 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:04 PM #60 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

One good guess, and three wild guesses.

457. Lost Properly - Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
The PDN "Lost Property" is this PDN's counterpart and references material goods.

475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts - In which Cloud is restrained, and takes damage -- until he has reached his limit...
Cloud is a Final Fantasy VII reference, and tempestuous might indicate a Shakespeare's The Tempest reference, but really all I have to put these two together is a storm theme: clouds and winds.

479. Safety in Numbers - Duke Ellington's prescription for everybody
Duke Ellington was a jazz composer who liked working with large numbers of musicians, so maybe?

494. Identification with the Romantic Irony - In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
Romantic irony involves the author speaking directly to the audience (ie, breaking the fourth wall) about their work.

Dikiyoba.

Dikiyoba Dikiyoba

Heart of Avadon

• 8,999 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:09 PM #61 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostSlarty, on 14 August 2016 - 08:12 PM, said:

Very true.  I didn't intend for it to get this big.  Now it's shrunk down quite a bit though, less than 20 left.  *shrug*
Unfortunately, the only ones left are the really hard ones. Plus, no Triumph to help us out. Did you ban him or something?

Dikiyoba.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:13 PM #62 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

View PostDikiyoba, on 15 August 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

457. Lost Properly - Fair and true counterpart to a materialistic PDN
The PDN "Lost Property" is this PDN's counterpart and references material goods.
YES +3
If something is done properly, it's done the way it should be, i.e., fairly; if you're properly lost, you're truly lost, not just sort of lost.  You got the other piece.

475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts - In which Cloud is restrained, and takes damage -- until he has reached his limit...
Cloud is a Final Fantasy VII reference, and tempestuous might indicate a Shakespeare's The Tempest reference, but really all I have to put these two together is a storm theme: clouds and winds.
NO - but perfectly reasonable guess.  Also, I'll say here there are Shakespeare references in this but not actually to the Tempest.

479. Safety in Numbers - Duke Ellington's prescription for everybody
Duke Ellington was a jazz composer who liked working with large numbers of musicians, so maybe?
NO

494. Identification with the Romantic Irony - In which the broken fourth wall starts talking to the audience
Romantic irony involves the author speaking directly to the audience (ie, breaking the fourth wall) about their work.
YES +2
The other piece here is 'identification with the aggressor', in which the victim of aggression or abuse identifies with the aggressor, or their role or approach, in some way, for various psychological reasons.  So the idea here is that the broken fourth wall, as it were -- the broken boundary of the story -- proceeds by employing the same tactic that caused its own brokenness.

View PostDikiyoba, on 15 August 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the only ones left are the really hard ones. Plus, no Triumph to help us out. Did you ban him or something?
I know, right?  He must be on vacation.  Or maybe reading a really good annal or something.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,732 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:37 AM #63 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

The deadly thirteen:

456. Lost Property -- Something I have remarkably little experience with

I have never lost my phone, wallet, or keys, which I have been informed is "weird."

460. Diversion Control -- Ironic counterpart to the old Disambiguation Cage

The obvious reference here was to version control; the clue played on the parallel to the previous PDN 'Disambiguation Cage' (cf. disambiguation page) -- highlighting the possibility that an ostensibly helpful organizing function has become a hindrance (an entrapment or a distraction).

462. Safe Word Gauge -- In which Cloud is restrained, and takes damage

Without veering too far from family friendly, this one connects the limit break meter or gauge from some RPGs (which fills up as you take damage) with perhaps parallel activities involving a safe word -- which indeed would be used, much like a limit break, if one's limits are broken.  I picked Cloud both as the main character of FF7 (probably the game most associated with limit breaks) and because his 'taciturn soldier' personality seemed appropriate for the scenario.

463. Wonderful Limitations -- Duke Ellington's prescription for everybody

"Personalized arranging is about arranging with all of the better characteristics of the performer in mind, with a deep consideration for the limitations of each one. Limitations are wonderful things. Everybody should have them." -- Duke Ellington

469. Lynchpin -- Helps keep a suspect class in their place; may be an ACME Chief

The linchpin for a lynching, perhaps.  More happily, this also refers to Lynne Thigpen, who played the ACME Chief on the Carmen Sandiego game show, who helps to keep Carmen's suspected henchmen in their place, and who seems to be referred to as Chief Lynchpin in some places.  (She was terrific.)

Posted Image

475. Tempestuous Winds and Gusts -- Roman Restoration offers a Trojan allusion

Okay, this one may be the most obnoxious clue I've had, and it's unfortunate it ended up in such a tough batch.  The initial reference was to Marcus Andronicus' speech at the end of Titus Andronicus, in which he and Lucius are (much like Fortinbras in Hamlet) restoration figures:

You sad-faced men, people and sons of Rome,
By uproar sever'd, like a flight of fowl
Scatter'd by winds and high tempestuous gusts

This is all wrapped up in a metaphor comparing storms to political-personal mixings that doom the state, with mythological reference to Troy, as Marcus suggests a few lines later:

The story of that baleful burning night
When subtle Greeks surprised King Priam's Troy,
Tell us what Sinon hath bewitch'd our ears,
Or who hath brought the fatal engine in
That gives our Troy, our Rome, the civil wound.

479. Safety in Numbers -- Majoritarianism, unless you fail the identity test and plummet

The straightforward meaning here is that it's safe to be part of the majority in any majoritarian system that protects the majority; people whose identity excludes them from that group do not have safety in numbers.  However, there's a more specific reference to 3 in Three, which may be seen here (halfway down the page, starting where the monitor reads "ENABLE RETURN"); the 3 fails the mathematical identity test (3 = 3) due to a system error, and is sent plummeting down to the Lifts.  The particular location of that scene, the home of the numbers, so to speak, is called "Safety in Numbers" -- a title whose use becomes clearer when the 3 asserts, much later, that "all characters have access to the entire system" -- an admirably anti-majoritarian ideal.

Posted Image

480. Striking Silent Letter of Them All -- Snow White

Okay, this was another tricky one, and it's my fault for waffling on the clue.  I think in the future I need to err on the side of give-away clues rather than tough ones for these.  The reference here, though, was simply to the wicked queen's question from Snow White, suggesting here that "Snow White" has the most striking silent letter of them all -- the silent e that comes after the quasi-silent w of "snow" and h of "white."

483. Detales -- Modular counterpart to a whole story

A detale might be a detachable tale, and presumably, it would be more of a detail than the bigger story.  I probably should have referenced Eeyore here.

488. _phantasmal coarticulation_ -- 1st-level linguist grammar in which sounds appear to spread

Coarticulation is what happens when the way we say a particular letter or sound, is influenced by the sounds that surround it.  Usually, this is something we aren't aware of at all and don't consciously hear.  Most commonly this just means vowels are pronounced a little bit differently, but here's a more shocking example in English: when we have a /t/ sound followed by an /r/ sound, we almost always pronounce the t as a /ch/ sound instead.  Try it and listen carefully: it's pretty crazy the first time you hear it.  So, phonetically, the 't' in words like "truck" is a bit of a phantom.

The other reference here is to phantasmal force, a 1st-level illusionist spell in most versions of D&D (and probably the most iconic D&D illusion spell in general).

490. Four Letter Patsy -- In M.P. Sex Row

This is a simple reference to a newspaper headline read aloud in one episode of Absolutely Fabulous: "Four Letter Patsy in M.P. Sex Row."  I think this might have made a decent guess just based on the fact that both halves have British-sounding parts.  How Nikki missed this I don't know.  (Below is a different, later headline.)

Posted Image

499. O wad some Pow'r the giftsie gie us -- The Malachite Brooch, maybe

This one I was particularly proud of.  Edgwyn appears to have correctly identified the PDN as a famous line from the Robert Burns poem "To A Louse," approximately 'oh would some power give us the gift...'  Well, almost correctly.  There has been one small edit.  In the original, the word is "giftie."  Now the PDN asks, would the GIFTSie give us something?  Well, in the first game, they provide the party with the Malachite Brooch.

501. Sub Roma -- State secrets, maybe

Simply a play on the phrase sub rosa, meaning "in secret," suggesting something that is both secret and under the dominion of Rome, i.e., the state.

Edgwyn Edgwyn

Avernite Dervish

• 738 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:58 PM #64 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

I was way off on several of these and suffered greatly from understanding one half, not the other on a few.  I had a different Duke Ellington quote, I got that ACME was Carmen San Diego but missed the rest of the clue, I was trying to connect Majoritarianism with John Major (GB's former PM) and the MP Sex Row with a recent revelation in the English parliament, for phantasmal coarticulation I was thinking a ghost or spirit talking simultaneously and could never be bothered to play an illusionist anyway, I missed the GIFTsie alteration and had forgotten that they supplied the Brooch.

Owenmoz Owenmoz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 17,190
  • 459 posts
  • LocationNairobi, Kenya

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:17 AM #65 Triple Slartifer, Part 11

Not guesses. Since its over even, but i'd just like to say sorry for not participating much this time round. Mostly cause i've been very busy as well as; this was a harder one than usual?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users