Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

Geneforge Geneforge 1 Spirit city Spirit City Stone Pillars Shapers Lore History

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic
Dryhad Dryhad

New Arrival

• Member ID: 12,835
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:07 PM #1 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

So I've finally decided to replay GeneForge 1 and go through the effort of touching all the stone pillars.

And I found the lore behind the Shapers and Sucia to be incredibly fascinating. How the Shapers went from shooting magic radiation at their enemies to give them cancer to discovering Genes and self-sealing (although not many people know either fact)

I love the irony when the Shapers denounce the natives as backwards savage, only to not only be their descendants but some have also repeated the Sucians' mistakes (attempting to transcend death via necromancy).

I'm sad that there wasn't more lore. Are there any more explorations of Shapers' history in later games? I hope I was missing something.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:25 PM #2 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

I still don't understand this stone pillar thing. What are they and where are they?

Are they scattered on different maps or the same map?

Asking questions in this forum tends to be a waste of time since the old guard have a certain way of looking at things and rarely share but on the off chance someone is willing to actually consider expanding my experience of the game I'd appreciate some more specific details on the matter.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,888 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:49 PM #3 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

There is one stone pillar in each of certain zones that if touched in order will allow you to enter an area in the northwest city without taking damage.  For more I'd have to dig out my Hint Book since I can't remember the rest.

From Matt P.'s Guide:

THE GREAT SECRET:
Sigh.  All right, I'm not going to give this one away.  For one, you
don't get anything really all that good out of it (at best, a pair of
magic boots).  Start in the Drayk's vale.  Touch the pillar-
and-
Travel Clockwise.

That's all for now (if there is enough desperation, I'll say more), and
that's all I should have to give.

"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:28 PM #4 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

Thanks for the quick update. I've read that part before and I'm still not sure what I'm looking for. Travel clockwise is a pretty vague bit of information. But knowing that they are in different zones is a good start. I swear I must have walked around that map a huge number of times and struggled to figure out what I was doing.

I'll be back if I need more.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:28 PM #5 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

View PostBlxz, on 03 August 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

I still don't understand this stone pillar thing. What are they and where are they?

Are they scattered on different maps or the same map?

There are special pylons in Drayk's Vale, Ancient Crypt, Diarazad, The Junkyard, Dry Wastes, Western Wastes, and Warriors of the Wind zones. If you touch the pylon in each zone in the order I just listed, you can to the temple in the Spirit City zone and touch the pylon there to gain access to the temple and learn about the origins of the Shapers.

View PostBlxz, on 03 August 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

Asking questions in this forum tends to be a waste of time since the old guard have a certain way of looking at things and rarely share but on the off chance someone is willing to actually consider expanding my experience of the game I'd appreciate some more specific details on the matter.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience on these forums. If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer to them, as long they are about games I know anything about.

View PostDryhad, on 03 August 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

I'm sad that there wasn't more lore. Are there any more explorations of Shapers' history in later games? I hope I was missing something.

I'm afraid you won't find anything in the later games that matches the depth of historical lore found in G1. As the series goes on, it gets more caught up in its own events and in the continuity between the games, rather than exploring background details in the way G1 does. There are bits of lore here and there, but no other games delve into the origins of the Shapers and Serviles in the way G1 does.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

ThricebornPhoenix ThricebornPhoenix

Mercenary

• Member ID: 6,597
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:00 AM #6 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

I believe G5 has a few tidbits about the people who lived on the mainland before the Shaper invasion. That's the only other historical (pre-G1) lore I can think of, really.
"I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile.

You should try it. It’s peculiarly enlightening." - Neil Gaiman

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:26 AM #7 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

IIRC, there are ancient, pre-Shaper ruins and/or ghosts to be encountered in G2 and G4, too. They aren't a big deal, there's no substantial backstory revealed, but they are there.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba

Scourge of the Rebellion Scourge of the Rebellion

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,545
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:41 AM #8 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

I also really liked geneforge but I don't have the time anymore to go around clicking random pillars to find out how it works
Can someone please tell me what happens or how to do it ( u said ple so ple I am )

Scourge of the Rebellion Scourge of the Rebellion

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,545
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:43 AM #9 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

View PostScourge of the Rebellion, on 05 August 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

I also really liked geneforge but I don't have the time anymore to go around clicking random pillars to find out how it works
Can someone please tell me what happens or how to do it ( u said ple so ple I am )
we are all puppets of a greater power

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 04:21 AM #10 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

What to do and what you'll find are exactly what  I posted above: There are special pylons in Drayk's Vale, Ancient Crypt, Diarazad, The Junkyard, Dry Wastes, Western Wastes, and Warriors of the Wind zones. If you touch the pylon in each zone in the order I just listed, you can to the temple in the Spirit City zone and touch the pylon there to gain access to the temple and learn about the origins of the Shapers.

If that doesn't answer your question, then I don't understand what you're asking.

Upon Mars. Upon Mars.

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 4,796
  • 812 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:05 PM #11 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

View PostThricebornPhoenix, on 04 August 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

I believe G5 has a few tidbits about the people who lived on the mainland before the Shaper invasion. That's the only other historical (pre-G1) lore I can think of, really.

What sort of info do they reveal?

As for the rest well there are a few mentions here and there (one in G5, another in G2) but nothing substantial. G1 has more info on the subject though.
Documentaries: -Rod Serling on censorship -One pair of eyes BBC documentary -Philosopher Philippe Muray on today's unfreedom in the west.

Other links: -A geneforge walkthrough in Japanese. -War of the worlds. Fan-fic @: http://geneforgeremaker.webs.com/

Unbound Servile Unbound Servile

Citizen

• Member ID: 17,237
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:50 AM #12 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

View PostScourge of the Rebellion, on 05 August 2016 - 01:41 AM, said:

This is truly a huge spoiler, I really recommend doing the small ritual in-game yourself.
But, here it goes anyway ...
Spoiler

"You were the chosen one! You were to destroy the Slith, not join them!" - Vogel Wan Kenobi

Spukrian Spukrian

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,938
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:16 AM #13 Do later games explore GeneForge 1's Secret? MAJOR SPOILERS

View PostUpon Mars., on 09 August 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

What sort of info do they reveal?
Several placenames in Astoria's province (Mera-Tev, Kratoa-Kel, etc) are from the language of the natives there. There are some characters with noticeable descent from the natives (IIRC the captain of the guard in Astoria's fortress). I believe there one tiny mention of the natives in the Storm Plains aswell and also Bennhold the Bandit is descended from the native population of the desert in Taygen's province. Not much is revealed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geneforge, Geneforge 1, Spirit city, Spirit, City, Stone, Pillars, Shapers, Lore, History

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users