Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

Hyena of Ice

It's not in the G3 >> Data >> Save 1~15 folders. That only applies to G1. It is not in My Documents, either-- that only applies to G4 and later.

I remember finding the G2 and G3 saves a couple of times in the past, in some weird place, I just for the life of me cannot remember where.

I really want to back up my save files.

Where on Windows 7 are they located?

No, I already told you that only G4 and later games are stored in My Documents.

With G2 and G3 it's somewhere in some sort of system file-- Program Data, User --> Appdata roaming, local, or locallow, or Programfiles, or something like that.

I'm surprised that even the moderators don't know where the files are stored :( That is not a good sign...

Oh, I see. (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!! Solved!!!!!

It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)

I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

Oh, I see. (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!! Solved!!!!!

It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)

I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

The reason for this is because recent versions of Windows don't like games saving files to the Program Files folder. When Geneforge 3 came out, the current version of Windows was Windows XP. XP had no issues with files being saved to Program Files, so they were saved in the Geneforge 3 data folder. However, when Windows Vista came out, it changed this behavior. Whenever a program in Vista or later tries to write to the Program Files folder, Windows creates the files in the AppData folder instead.