• Announcements

• Then and Where and Now and There and When

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hyena of Ice

Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

6 posts in this topic

It's not in the G3 >> Data >> Save 1~15 folders. That only applies to G1. It is not in My Documents, either-- that only applies to G4 and later.

I remember finding the G2 and G3 saves a couple of times in the past, in some weird place, I just for the life of me cannot remember where.

I really want to back up my save files.

Where on Windows 7 are they located?

I thought they were in a Spiderweb Software folder in My Documents. G4 stored them in the Scripts folder inside the game's folder.

No, I already told you that only G4 and later games are stored in My Documents.

With G2 and G3 it's somewhere in some sort of system file-- Program Data, User --> Appdata roaming, local, or locallow, or Programfiles, or something like that.

I'm surprised that even the moderators don't know where the files are stored :( That is not a good sign...

Oh, I see. (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!! Solved!!!!!

It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)

I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

Oh, I see. (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!! Solved!!!!!

It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)

I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

The reason for this is because recent versions of Windows don't like games saving files to the Program Files folder. When Geneforge 3 came out, the current version of Windows was Windows XP. XP had no issues with files being saved to Program Files, so they were saved in the Geneforge 3 data folder. However, when Windows Vista came out, it changed this behavior. Whenever a program in Vista or later tries to write to the Program Files folder, Windows creates the files in the AppData folder instead.