Geneforge 3 Geneforge 2 Save Files Game Saves Data Saved Game

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
Hyena of Ice Hyena of Ice

Shaman

• Member ID: 12,969
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:33 PM #1 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

It's not in the G3 >> Data >> Save 1~15 folders.  That only applies to G1.  It is not in My Documents, either-- that only applies to G4 and later.
I remember finding the G2 and G3 saves a couple of times in the past, in some weird place, I just for the life of me cannot remember where.
I really want to back up my save files.
Where on Windows 7 are they located?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:21 AM #2 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

I thought they were in a Spiderweb Software folder in My Documents.  G4 stored them in the Scripts folder inside the game's folder.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Shaman

• 273 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:26 AM #3 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

No, I already told you that only G4 and later games are stored in My Documents.
With G2 and G3 it's somewhere in some sort of system file-- Program Data, User --> Appdata roaming, local, or locallow, or Programfiles, or something like that.

I'm surprised that even the moderators don't know where the files are stored :(  That is not a good sign...

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,880 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:34 AM #4 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

Well to be fair, I've only played those games on a Mac.  :)
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Shaman

• 273 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:07 AM #5 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

Oh, I see.  (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!!  Solved!!!!!
It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)
I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,536 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:58 PM #6 Where Are G3 Game Saves Stored? *SOLVED*

View PostHyena of Ice, on 02 August 2016 - 11:07 AM, said:

Oh, I see.  (also, I apologize if there was any hostility in my response-- I was a bit frustrated and not optimistic)

AHA!!!  Solved!!!!!
It's in Users --> (your name) -->Appdata --> Local --> Virtualstore --> Geneforge 3 --> Data --> (save file number)
I knew it was in someplace weird ^_^

Hope this is helpful for someone in the future.

The reason for this is because recent versions of Windows don't like games saving files to the Program Files folder. When Geneforge 3 came out, the current version of Windows was Windows XP. XP had no issues with files being saved to Program Files, so they were saved in the Geneforge 3 data folder. However, when Windows Vista came out, it changed this behavior. Whenever a program in Vista or later tries to write to the Program Files folder, Windows creates the files in the AppData folder instead.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Geneforge 3, Geneforge 2, Save Files, Game Saves, Data, Saved Game

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users