Translation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
Upon Mars. Upon Mars.

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 4,796
  • 812 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:23 AM #1 Translation of Spiderweb software games

Is there any plan of translating Spiderweb software games?
Documentaries: -Rod Serling on censorship -One pair of eyes BBC documentary -Philosopher Philippe Muray on today's unfreedom in the west.

Other links: -A geneforge walkthrough in Japanese. -War of the worlds. Fan-fic @: http://geneforgeremaker.webs.com/

Rhinestone Jedi Rhinestone Jedi

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,578
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:02 AM #2 Translation of Spiderweb software games

Probably not officially?  But it's very possible to make a mod.  All the scripts are in easily accessible files.  There's just... a lot of them, and Jeff is more or less a one man team.

Triumph Triumph

Wrapped in Light

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 6,248
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:50 AM #3 Translation of Spiderweb software games

There is no plan to translate to SW games into any other languages.

"Dikiyoba didn't know what to say for your negatives, Triumph. Dikiyoba supposes you must just be that awesome." - Dikiyoba
"Triumph == Santa Claus? This explains... nothing." - Dintiradan
"Per usual, Triumph said it better." - Slarty

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,777 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:18 AM #4 Translation of Spiderweb software games

It's not quite that easy.  Not all the game text is easily accessible.  Most of it is, but you'd end up with a translation that didn't quite feel fully baked.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 10 July 2016 - 04:24 AM #5 Translation of Spiderweb software games

All your base are belong to us
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Rhinestone Jedi Rhinestone Jedi

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,578
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:24 AM #6 Translation of Spiderweb software games

View PostOverbooked Eumenides, on 10 July 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

It's not quite that easy.  Not all the game text is easily accessible.  Most of it is, but you'd end up with a translation that didn't quite feel fully baked.
You're right.  Some things would be stuck, but a mostly baked translation would be good enough for a lot of people, including my own enjoyment on an extra run.  Two years ago I was flirting with translating EFTP into French but I never did really have time to do it.  

It's way too much text for someone to [accurately] translate just from the goodness of their heart, and I don't think a hired translation will ever happen, so unless someone makes a real passion project out of it...

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,913 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:25 AM #7 Translation of Spiderweb software games

Basilisk Games tried it with their later Eschalon games and found that very few language translations were completed because of the amount of text.  Their games have less text than a typical Spiderweb game.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Translation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users