Windows 10 and Exile 3

uncleseano

I would love to mess around with Exile 3 (for that blast from the past) again but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I downloaded the one from old-games that comes bundled with DOS-BOX it just seems really slow.

Like the pop-ups ingme game the mouse cursergo bananas. Also the ingame cursor is really glitchy and really unresponsive.

What do you guys do to get it to work?

Ok thanks guys, I'll give give the Virtual Box a try. I tried the one from Old-Games (that had doxbox bundled into a single .exe) but it was glitchy as hell. Maybe it was always like that and I just didn't remember.

Will test this out so, thanks

EDIT: I found an old Win 98 CD over at my gfs gaf but I can't get it to install into Virtual BOx. When it's finalising I get a breakpoint exception and the whole things fail.

What other O.Ss might work?

• 1 month later...

I would love to mess around with Exile 3 (for that blast from the past) again but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I downloaded the one from old-games that comes bundled with DOS-BOX it just seems really slow.

Like the pop-ups ingme game the mouse cursergo bananas. Also the ingame cursor is really glitchy and really unresponsive.

What do you guys do to get it to work?

Why not run Windows Compatibility program? I'm running Windows 10 64-bit and simply right-clicked the installer and selected "properties" then clicked the "Compatibility" tab. It asks for a reason why it can't run and I selected "Worked on older Windows Version" and then selected "Windows XP" and it installed everything like I remember, then windows asked if it works and if it does it locks it to run the programs in Windows XP mode.

So far the game itself runs just fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

64 bit versions of windows 10 had the files that allowed compatibility for 16 bit software removed.

To work around this, I installed Windows 3.11 inside DOSBox (on windows 10 64 bit), then installed Exile 3 inside windows 3.11...

This is a faster way of being able to boot up and play exile 3.

(I've had problems with playing exile 3 on virtual machines...P.S. I would suggest VMware or some other virtual machine software other than Virtual Box. VBox is slow as heck and not very good software in my opinion.)

I searched for a download of the Windows 3.11 3.5" OEM floppy .img files online (there are several abandonware sites out there hosting them).

There should be 6 .img files for Windows 3.11 and you can use 7-zip or winrar to open them up do dump all the files in a single Win31 folder.

I used this install guide for Windows 3.11 in DOSBOX: vogons_Win3.x_install_guide_link

I'll try and check back every once in a while to see if anyone has any questions.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I installed a legit copy of Windows 98 SE using VMware Player, then I was able to install Exile 3 on it and it runs great.   On my 1080P monitor it's no problem to run the new Avernum 3 remake alongside Exile 3 at the same time, pretty cool to see the difference.  I tried quite a few little tricks to get it running in Win10 directly with no success.

Edited by virtualperson

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I would opt to just run this game on a cheap old ThinkPad that runs windows xp or windows 95 also is a great choice to run this game on as well if you don't want to hassle around with Emulators that typically cannot properly render the graphical transitions anyways (such as spell orbs not rendering or being instant traveled to the target which takes away from the experience in my opinion)