Windows 10 and Exile 3

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
uncleseano uncleseano

Citizen

• Member ID: 11,793
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:50 AM #1 Windows 10 and Exile 3

I would love to mess around with Exile 3 (for that blast from the past) again but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I downloaded the one from old-games that comes bundled with DOS-BOX it just seems really slow.

Like the pop-ups ingme game the mouse cursergo bananas. Also the ingame cursor is really glitchy and really unresponsive.

What do you guys do to get it to work?

uncleseano uncleseano

Citizen

• 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:36 AM #2 Windows 10 and Exile 3

Sniff...so quiet in here.... sniff

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:48 AM #3 Windows 10 and Exile 3

For a game this old, yeah it's quiet.
I would give it at least a week or two. There are people here that can help with these issues, but most of us have moved on.
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:01 AM #4 Windows 10 and Exile 3

There's a discussion here about your problem and some solutions:
Exile series windows 10/

The Exile series is freeware and can be downloaded from the Spiderweb site under older games
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

uncleseano uncleseano

Citizen

• 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:18 PM #5 Windows 10 and Exile 3

Ok thanks guys, I'll give give the Virtual Box a try. I tried the one from Old-Games (that had doxbox bundled into a single .exe) but it was glitchy as hell. Maybe it was always like that and I just didn't remember.

Will test this out so, thanks

EDIT: I found an old Win 98 CD over at my gfs gaf but I can't get it to install into Virtual BOx. When it's finalising I get a breakpoint exception and the whole things fail.

What other O.Ss might work?

Tyranicus Tyranicus

Dollop of Whipped Cream

• Member ID: 4,151
  • 4,537 posts
  • LocationShadowvale

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:26 AM #6 Windows 10 and Exile 3

Windows XP is probably your best bet. It's new enough to support the hardware emulated by VirtualBox and old enough to play the Exile games without issue.
"There are less fortunate people out there who can't sit in a chatroom and complain about privilege. You should check your privilege-checking privilege." —Dintiradan
BoA Scenario DatabaseSpiderweb Music DatabaseNethergate Graphics RewindAvernum Side Quest ListExile & Avernum for Intel Macs

Celtic Minstrel Celtic Minstrel

Eye of Avadon

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,296
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:29 PM #7 Windows 10 and Exile 3

Exile can also be run in Windows 3.1 on DOSBox, for the record. It might be a little trickier to get that to work though.
Exile 2 Book of Items (I didn't create it, I just converted it to HTML.)

"Man, I know how you feel. I once spent an hour playing WordPad before realising that it was a text editor." – Thuryl

"Dikiyoba just hopes no one ever blows up Saturn. Getting those rings back into their proper position would take hours."

"—Alorael, who spells phoenetically. No matter how much his orthography is a wreck, intelligibility rises from the ashes."

"I've never played a Spiderweb game. I didn't even know SW made games until I saw this thread." —Nikki

ender244 ender244

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,624
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:47 PM #8 Windows 10 and Exile 3

View Postuncleseano, on 27 June 2016 - 01:50 AM, said:

I would love to mess around with Exile 3 (for that blast from the past) again but I'm having trouble getting it to work.

I downloaded the one from old-games that comes bundled with DOS-BOX it just seems really slow.

Like the pop-ups ingme game the mouse cursergo bananas. Also the ingame cursor is really glitchy and really unresponsive.

What do you guys do to get it to work?

Why not run Windows Compatibility program? I'm running Windows 10 64-bit and simply right-clicked the installer and selected "properties" then clicked the "Compatibility" tab. It asks for a reason why it can't run and I selected "Worked on older Windows Version" and then selected "Windows XP" and it installed everything like I remember, then windows asked if it works and if it does it locks it to run the programs in Windows XP mode.

So far the game itself runs just fine.

miz0n3 miz0n3

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,706
  • 1 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:13 PM #9 Windows 10 and Exile 3

I was not able to get it running in Compatablility mode, but the DOSbox bundled from old games works fine for me. The menu screen is a little glitchy but works fine for me afterwards.

AvalonArray AvalonArray

New Arrival

• Member ID: 18,716
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:47 PM #10 Windows 10 and Exile 3

64 bit versions of windows 10 had the files that allowed compatibility for 16 bit software removed.

To work around this, I installed Windows 3.11 inside DOSBox (on windows 10 64 bit), then installed Exile 3 inside windows 3.11...
This is a faster way of being able to boot up and play exile 3.
(I've had problems with playing exile 3 on virtual machines...P.S. I would suggest VMware or some other virtual machine software other than Virtual Box. VBox is slow as heck and not very good software in my opinion.)

I searched for a download of the Windows 3.11 3.5" OEM floppy .img files online (there are several abandonware sites out there hosting them).
There should be 6 .img files for Windows 3.11 and you can use 7-zip or winrar to open them up do dump all the files in a single Win31 folder.

I used this install guide for Windows 3.11 in DOSBOX: vogons_Win3.x_install_guide_link

I'll try and check back every once in a while to see if anyone has any questions.

Bender89 Bender89

Citizen

• Member ID: 18,791
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:55 PM #11 Windows 10 and Exile 3

I got win 3.1 and exile 1 and 2 running

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users