A4 night?!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
Carranzero Carranzero

Monitor

• Member ID: 4,699
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:46 PM #1 A4 night?!

just entered into cotra, and the game says "it was destroyed in a sneak attack, gazers and eyebeasts came at NIGHT"

night? in the caves? what? explain

Agitproprioception Agitproprioception

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 223
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:01 PM #2 A4 night?!

*blinks*

*blinks again*

*in fact, all of my eyestalks blink*
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

"I think we all have days where we feel like a Displacer Iguana." -- Slarty

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:01 PM #3 A4 night?!

It's a throwback to the good old days of Exile when time actually passes and there were days.  Somewhere there once was a mention that the luminescent fungi would brighten and darken to give a day and night cycle.

At least that's what I'm going to use.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Carranzero Carranzero

Monitor

• Member ID: 4,699
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:33 PM #4 A4 night?!

not that old..! A3 was the last to use a day counter anyways, where can i read about that luminiscent fungi thing?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:44 PM #5 A4 night?!

I don't remember.  I may have imagined it.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:18 AM #6 A4 night?!

I don't think that reference exists (this is how urban legends get started, Randomizer!), but there are numerous casual references to day/night as units of time in all of the games.  This is not an Exile/Avernum change.
"I, for one, prefer to believe that the forums are dead and that Lilith, Slarty, and I are all ghosts haunting the forum." -- Triumph

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:40 AM #7 A4 night?!

Doesn't somebody in Patrick's tower talk about it? Or an I missremembering it?
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Particlular Man Particlular Man

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,116 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:15 AM #8 A4 night?!

Actually, only E3 out of the Exiles has days. Avernum 1-3 all have days, and it was A1 that introduced that calendar months rather than just a day counter, but only A3 has nights, and it's the only one that, like E3, particularly cares about how many days have passed.

—Alorael, who also believes that A3 is also the only Avernum that starts on a specific calendar day rather than in a random month.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:36 AM #9 A4 night?!

E1 and E2 have plenty of in-dialogue references to days and nights as things that delimit the passing of time -- that's what I was referring to.

(The original version of E1 also had "bldgs." or whatever those strange units of distance were, but those have been forgotten in the mists of time and version revisions.)

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:30 PM #10 A4 night?!

View PostPlastiche, on 26 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

E1 and E2 have plenty of in-dialogue references to days and nights as things that delimit the passing of time -- that's what I was referring to.

(The original version of E1 also had "bldgs." or whatever those strange units of distance were, but those have been forgotten in the mists of time and version revisions.)

Wait, did it? I remember blms being specific to Vahnatai lands in E2, and specifically noted ingame as something you weren't supposed to know about.

The Demon of Good Taste

• Global Moderator
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:22 PM #11 A4 night?!

I lied.  Lilith told the truth.  You're completely right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users