A Map of Terrestia!

Sup guys! I'm in the process of constructing a Geneforge-inspired Dungeons and Dragons homebrew setting, and to that end, I basically traced both world maps into Hexographer to create a semi-coherent map of the entire continent. There was some creative resizing and filling in of gaps to get them to mesh properly, but I think it's a pretty decent rough draft.

pQQmvXD.png

It is a pretty decent draft, I'm glad you used hex map for that and ... I already have a homebrew D&D geneforge-based setting. Not in Terrestia, but in a homebrew world. I'm using the flexible D&D next rules. I would be glad to assist you since I had to overcome a few hurdles, if you so desire.

But first, a warning: Unless you're playing with 1-2 players, be veeery careful about Shaper classes. It's NOT a balance issue; you could always put more enemies.

It's a "I have 3 PCs each with 4 creations against 10 enemies = I have to keep track of a couple dozen things in the encounter".

I use shapers as NPCs only.

It is a pretty decent draft, I'm glad you used hex map for that and ... I already have a homebrew D&D geneforge-based setting. Not in Terrestia, but in a homebrew world. I'm using the flexible D&D next rules. I would be glad to assist you since I had to overcome a few hurdles, if you so desire.

But first, a warning: Unless you're playing with 1-2 players, be veeery careful about Shaper classes. It's NOT a balance issue; you could always put more enemies.

It's a "I have 3 PCs each with 4 creations against 10 enemies = I have to keep track of a couple dozen things in the encounter".

I use shapers as NPCs only.

Oh, absolutely. I'm basically entirely dodging the idea of Shaper PCs, mostly by eliminating spontaneous Shaping. Shaping is entirely the vats-and-pools system in the homebrew world, and basically results in monsters under the mental control of the NPC in question. Fluff-wise it's very similar, in terms of actual effort it means that I just build an encounter with one wizard and four or five orcs or hobgoblins.

EDIT: It would also seem that the ability to configure and generate a key is exclusive to the pro version.

Well, frankly, Shaping is a lot like necromancy in general. You take something organic and turn it into an ambulatory thing. Heck, most forms of necromancy in games allow you to summon up skeletons and zombies and such on the fly, just like Shaping would. With this, we've still got the sprawling research complexes and warrens full of magitech, at the cost of some of the instant fire velociraptors. In terms of setting coherency, I feel the former is a lot more crucial to the Shaper vibe than the latter.

And, either way, the world I'm piecing together isn't pure Geneforge anyway. I'm splicing a whole lot of things to it, and it's closer to "D&D with Shapers" than it is to "Geneforge in D&D rules"

Yes, of course, I didn't mean to attack your idea.

I also have a similar approach: A D&D world with shapers. 6-7 kingdoms fighting over ideology and morals because they're too intolerant to accept other views. Quite like Royalists were fighting Republics and vice versa during the enlightment cause (at least in theory) they could not accept a different form of government nearby or like religious wars.

The pro version of hexographer, that makes the key, costs money... :)

Anyway, I would say that I think the scale of you map is 12 miles per hex.

Also, map of the game aside, I think the map needs more inhabitable areas. Sure Shaper-made stuff could grow everywhere and feed people, but really Terrestia seems a really inhospitable place. You're either under the full support of Shapers to have food, or famine strikes.

Coming back to that, I start to realize why so many people resist the Trakovites.

Look at these areas! Without shaping, Terrestia would not be able to support even 20% of the people they supposedly do.

One thing becomes clear by studying the map of the inhospitable Terrestia: If Trakovites think it's possible to survive there without shaping... Trakovites are insane

Going forward, I'm definitely going to have to change the habitability of the place as well as the simplicity of the map. Having all these different patches of different terrains is cool and all, but it makes it kind of hard to understand.

As far as scaling goes, I'm going for something like 24 miles to a hex, which would make the place roughly the size of Pakistan.

As far as the key goes, if you're super committed to it, each of the terrain tiles is labeled in the Hexographer free app, so you could potentially figure that out. Otherwise, I'm kind of hogtied as far as legends go, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...