And all of a sudden... Corrupted Avadon 2 Savegame!

Sokhbep

Hi, I had recently begun my blind run of Avadon 2: The Corruption. And I was enjoying it very much. But I only had one issue, the speed of the game was too slow. So I opened up Cheat Engine and cranked up the speed to 2x and then continued playing. I had a blast.

It went okay for a week or so. But when I had loaded my game from the Underground Workshop of that town in the Tawon area (of which I forgot the name), it completely glitched up and I couldn't do anything.

All the floor textures were of overworld plain grass, I couldn't move my character, and enemies stayed in one place and didn't combat. But all the terrain textures remained intact (the walls, rocks, bags etc). Clicking anything interactive would open up my character's Inventory for some reason.

I had to make another character and play from the beginning when I had finished almost half of the game.

Say, did I make a wrong decision or something? Like, if you make a bad choice, your game gets corrupted as a manner of the consequence. Or, if the title of the game is actually true its name...

There's not an option in Preferences for speeding up the game? There usually is. I don't know what "Cheat Engine" is but tinkering with a game with outside software has always been risky. I once lost my Pokemon Gold save trying to use a GameShark just to get then-unobtainable Mew and Celebi, and threw a hysterical fit. My family still teases me about it. :(

Also, for future reference, the game makes an autosave to a separate file from your regular save every time you move between map areas, so if you have a problem with your saved game you can try loading that and see if it helps. (Unless you tried that already and the corruption had already happened by the time the autosave was made). It's still a good idea to keep more than one manual save file, though, just in case.

The corruption happened both on my newer saved game and the autosave. Both happened at the same time.

I had made a manual save a while ago during the 'Ogres of the Kva' main quest. Fortunately that has not been affected. *sigh* I guess I have to play from that one...

EDIT: I do recall, however, when I used Cheat Engine to speed up Avernum 2: The Crystal Souls, in mid-game, all the space in my Junk Bag was filled up with Iron Daggers labelled 'Unused'. It was A PAIN to clear them all out and dump it near Tokor-Te's shop in Mancuso. :p

Took me a dreaded hour approximately.