Which version of OBoE actually works?

bakersofexile

I've went through about 8 versions of OBoE trying to find one that actually works. So far only the latest one will even let me save a scenario I created in the editor, but then none of the tile graphics even show in it. Just a bunch of black space. Plus it doesn't even have a menu where I can actually do anything like name a town. Then I picked "Custom summoning (advanced)" in any version and it says "ap does not exist in dialog edit-mabil-summon.xml" and it just crashes. Seems to also crash when I try to edit a monster summon ability. I'm really frustrated because I've wasted nearly 2 hours trying to get this to work and would really like to use it, but I can't even use it because no version of it is even able to function on a basic level.

Okay, that crash you described sounds like something that's really easy to fix, at least. Hopefully I can also fix the missing menus fairly easily. I'm not sure on the blackness of tiles, so I'll have to test that and figure out what's wrong (though I only have access to Windows 7 for testing, so I don't know if I can guarantee that it'll also work on Windows 10). I assume Windows 10 does still support 32-bit applications, right? It would also help if there were more developers around than just myself...

Windows 10 can run 32-bit applications. The only thing I'm aware of like that is if you have 64-bit Windows and try to run 16-bit EXEs. I would be willing to be a tester for Windows if that can be arranged because I'd love to be able to use it to actually make a scenario and you said there's no one else to test it right now.

EDIT: I actually have experience with programming and developing. Not sure what language BoE uses, but I can also break just about anything in under 5 minutes. rofl I'm heading off for bed though, I'll check this when I get up next and see what you think.

It turns out that I fixed the missing menubar in the scenario quite awhile ago but just never pushed to master or created a build with that fix. I've also fixed the monster ability crash now and am working on a fix for the blackness - it's partially working now, at least (the terrain area is back, and the palette area is no longer black but has only the text+scrollbar and is missing the terrain+tools).

Blades of Exile is written in C++, so not the most beginner-friendly of languages, but if you feel up to contributing, your help would be welcome! :) There is a Microsoft Visual Studio 12 project in the GitHub repository, as well as a build script for the "scons" build system. If you can't use MSVC, then you'd need to rely on the scons system, which may require some work to get it working with MinGW - it does currently work using MSVC's compiler, since that's what I use on Windows, but it probably won't work as-is with MinGW.

That's good to hear you're getting it working. I actually learned C# in Unity pretty quickly which my friend who knew C++ was able to read and write in almost instantly because they're very similar from what he showed me. I wouldn't say I'm an expert in C#, but I can learn quickly. It would probably be best right now if I just tried to help fix bugs in already established things and you'd probably need to optimize my stuff a bit. Do you guys have Skype or something?

I have Skype, I don't know about CM though. As I said, we tend to coordinate and communicate via the IRC chat. Here's the link: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23openboe You can also use your preferred IRC client if you don't like the web chat. Again, the link is found in the BoE forum header. I believe it's the last link on the list.

I do have Skype, actually, but as ADoS said, IRC is the main communication channel for development. C++ and C# aren't as similar as they look/sound, by the way - C# is a lot more similar to Java than to C++. Still, there are some similarities there, at least, so knowing C# probably would help a little with C++.