[Geneforge 4] New Player Having Questions

Ragge

Hello there! I am here because I have a problem regarding the game Geneforge 4. I just made it to Chapter 2 and I can't proceed anywhere now. No matter where I go I get slaughtered. I can't go back to the first town either to get myself some new spells since everyone left/died. I have searched for guides and I just found a really big one which was linked here on the forum, but since I started without it it's pretty hard start following it now.

My current active quests (which I can't find, mostly of them have pretty hard areas. When I look at playthroughs on youtube, people are lvl 25-30 at my location. I have probably missed something. Btw, I'm playing on Normal)

• Find Northforge.
  • Dumping Pits.
  • Stranded Rebels.
  • Fackler's Papers.
  • Kill Moseh.
  • Gibbons's Canisters.

This is my current build and equipment. I don't know where to go to level up, it's hard finding guides for specific things in this game. If anyone can help me regarding levels and such (tips too), I would appreciate it a lot!!

/Ragge

e2XcB0H.jpg

Regarding quests:

Northforge is Chapter 5 so don't worry about it for a long time.

Dumping Pits is an underground area in Therile Colony that is poisonous atmosphere and one way trip until you get out. So bring plenty of healing and keep moving, but there are a few rooms to loot along the way.

Stranded Rebels is farther to the north and hard at your current level.

Fackler's Papers is a turn in Research Papers when you find them.

Kill Moseh is for when you are done with Chapter 2.

Gibbon's Canisters requires puresteel rings that are at Sandros Mine, one in Rivergate Keep, and one in Thorton ruins.

The easiest thing to do is go back and kill most things in Chapter 1 areas except the Shaper Camp in the southeast which is very hard even at highest levels. Otherwise go north to Dillame and pickup easy quests and unlock doors for easy experience. Then head south and then west to slowly clear the zones until you reach the Illya Safehouse. Then clear what you missed working your way to the north.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It makes the guides understandable.

There are trainers in Rivergate Keep and

Regarding quests:

Northforge is Chapter 5 so don't worry about it for a long time.

Dumping Pits is an underground area in Therile Colony that is poisonous atmosphere and one way trip until you get out. So bring plenty of healing and keep moving, but there are a few rooms to loot along the way.

Stranded Rebels is farther to the north and hard at your current level.

Fackler's Papers is a turn in Research Papers when you find them.

Kill Moseh is for when you are done with Chapter 2.

Gibbon's Canisters requires puresteel rings that are at Sandros Mine, one in Rivergate Keep, and one in Thorton ruins.

The easiest thing to do is go back and kill most things in Chapter 1 areas except the Shaper Camp in the southeast which is very hard even at highest levels. Otherwise go north to Dillame and pickup easy quests and unlock doors for easy experience. Then head south and then west to slowly clear the zones until you reach the Illya Safehouse. Then clear what you missed working your way to the north.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It makes the guides understandable.

There are trainers in Rivergate Keep and

Thanks. Are monsters respawned anytime in cleared areas? I have been to those areas so far:

8gfP4MG.png

By the way, Is it recommended to have one strong or a few weaker shapings? It's also a bit hard to know what to spend skill points on since you... need everything. Got any tips for someone who play Aidan?

/Ragge

No "Repair Moseh" quest ? Haven't talked to Alwan yet ? You really really want this, just for the easier passage in the barrier zone alone. And lvl 10 at that point with no mech or leadership and only ONE cryoa ? Did you upgrade that cryoa ? Never ever put anything into creation stats apart from 2 points INT. Just go with numbers and better creations once available.

No "Repair Moseh" quest ? Haven't talked to Alwan yet ? You really really want this, just for the easier passage in the barrier zone alone. And lvl 10 at that point with no mech or leadership and only ONE cryoa ? Did you upgrade that cryoa ? Never ever put anything into creation stats apart from 2 points INT. Just go with numbers and better creations once available.

I probably missed a lot of sidequests...

My Cryoa:

5fjK4KA.png

OH GOD WHY :(

Putting points there (apart from 2 INT) is just not worth it. Make a clean save, absorb that cryoa and make 2 or 3 cryoas with just 2 points in INT. You should immediately see a difference in combat.

No mech and leadership means you miss out on quite a bit, usually not advised to start without, not even as a shaper.

OH GOD WHY :(

Putting points there (apart from 2 INT) is just not worth it. Make a clean save, absorb that cryoa and make 2 or 3 cryoas with just 2 points in INT. You should immediately see a difference in combat.

No mech and leadership means you miss out on quite a bit, usually not advised to start without, not even as a shaper.

So I should play with like 3 upgraded Cryoa's with only 2 INT each? They will probably die easy then, since my current one gets dropped really fast even though I have 5 on Endurance. And what example did I miss because of no mech & leadership? Do I have to replay everything?

General advice:

As a Lifecrafter, while some Int (for more essence) is good, getting a bunch of early points in one shaping skill will make your creations much, much stronger.

"Levelling up" your creations stats, other than the 2 points of Int, is incredibly expensive for the little benefit it gives you. You will be much better off just making more creations, especially if you level up the appropriate shaping skill.

You picked a good creation type though, Cryoas are a good option in G4, especially in the early chapters.

General advice:

As a Lifecrafter, while some Int (for more essence) is good, getting a bunch of early points in one shaping skill will make your creations much, much stronger.

"Levelling up" your creations stats, other than the 2 points of Int, is incredibly expensive for the little benefit it gives you. You will be much better off just making more creations, especially if you level up the appropriate shaping skill.

You picked a good creation type though, Cryoas are a good option in G4, especially in the early chapters.

Ok thanks. Then I'll focus on Fire Shaping next. Dunno when to focus on mech & leadership tho. I have lots of bombs laying around which I couldn't get past.

You have very good fire shaping. I would suggest absorbing that extremely expensive cryora (It costs as much as 3 good ones) and making more with just 2 int. If you want some damage variety, make 3 cryoras and 1 fyora but keep around 15-20 essence free and use blessing magic before fights. Replenish as necessary by going back to safe places. Like Dilame.

Your early build is actually very good for fights. You should concentrate on mechanics and leadership now in my opinion for at least 3 levels. Getting a 6-7 to mechanics and leadership will make your life easier (and less expensive).

You have very good fire shaping. I would suggest absorbing that extremely expensive cryora and making more with just 2 int. Keep around 15-20 essence free and use blessing magic before fights. Replenish as necessary by going back to safe places. Like Dilame.

Your early build is actually very good for fights. You should concentrate on mechanics and leadership now in my opinion for at least 3 levels. Getting a 6-7 to mechanics and leadership will make your life easier (and less expensive).

Thanks! Im gonna launch up the game and try this now. I am very close to level up as you can see so I will spend it on mech at first (so I can remove bombs at the first zones).

If you want some damage variety, make 3 cryoras and 1 fyora but keep around 15-20 essence.

DO NOT worry yet about keeping them alive. Sure, it's better if they survive a couple of level-ups but you will end up absorbing them eventually for better creations. They really don't hold up to higher tier creations.

As a note: Rebels are (IMO) better people so far. Shapers pay better. :) I went pro-rebel in the end, but I was sitting the fence more or less till the end.

Agreed, but 5 is not "very good" fire shaping. For anyone making creations, the value of shaping skills is pretty extreme. Every +2 in a shaping skill gives your creations +1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Int, +1 Endurance, plus additional HP and Energy. That means they do more damage, are more accurate, have better evasion, and are more enduring in general. I would keep putting points there for a while before investing in anything like Battle Magic

If you want some damage variety, make 3 cryoras and 1 fyora but keep around 15-20 essence.

DO NOT worry yet about keeping them alive. Sure, it's better if they survive a couple of level-ups but you will end up absorbing them eventually for better creations. They really don't hold up to higher tier creations.

As a note: Rebels are (IMO) better people so far. Shapers pay better. :) I went pro-rebel in the end, but I was sitting the fence more or less till the end.

Currently using 3 Cryoras with 39 essence left for use. I have not picked side yet since I have not came so far into the game yet (i guess?).

Agreed, but 5 is not "very good" fire shaping. For anyone making creations, the value of shaping skills is pretty extreme. Every +1 in a shaping skill gives your creations +1 Str, +1 Dex, +1 Int, +1 Endurance, plus additional HP and Energy. That means they do more damage, are more accurate, have better evasion, and are more enduring in general. I would keep putting points there for a while before investing in anything like Battle Magic

Yeah, I will keep focusing on my shaping skills once I have more in mech & leadership. By the way, my character is taking incredibly bad damage (10-14, misses 75% of the time). Shouldn't I care about this?

Edit: The point might be that I will be the healer and my creatures the damage dealers?

I have been running around now and cleaned some areas, but the rest is too hard & they gank up on me. Got any tips of quests? (Character name of person + city is enough). Thanks all again.

Edit: Yeah, I could go around and talk to everyone. But a post above, it seems like I missed a important one and I dunno where to find "Alwan".

5 Fire shaping is not "very good" but he's just 10th level. I doubt I had that much at 10th. Also, unless I'm very mistaken, every +1 in shaping is +1 level. Every -2- levels is +1 str, dex, int, endurance.

Not that it's not important to raise fire shaping etc just making sure I remember this correctly.

Augh, you're completely right about the stats. I've been replaying G1 which, unlike the other games, gives +1 per level when you shape a creation. My bad. I am going to insist though that 5 in a shaping skill is not that impressive for 10th level, for a pure shaper/lifecrafter.

It's true that there is better stuff than cryoas, but not for a little while IIRC. So until then, between having relatively low shaping skill + not having made a bunch of creations early for them to have time to level up, it's going to be a bit harder.

Yeah, I will keep focusing on my shaping skills once I have more in mech & leadership. By the way, my character is taking incredibly bad damage (10-14, misses 75% of the time). Shouldn't I care about this?

Edit: The point might be that I will be the healer and my creatures the damage dealers?

Assuming you mean that you are dealing incredibly bad damage, then yes. As a shaper/lifecrafter, it is not your job to deal damage -- your creations can do that much more effectively than you can. Your job is to support them, with mental magic, buffs, and healing.

I have been running around now and cleaned some areas, but the rest is too hard & they gank up on me. Got any tips of quests? (Character name of person + city is enough). Thanks all again.

Start with the zones towards the beginning and make sure you clear everything from each zone. At level 10 now the early zones should be easy, so if you skipped stuff before go back and do it. (A few of those zones are red, so you definitely didn't do everything there.) Work your way outward like that.

Thank you all once again for helping me! I'm sorry if things are going offtopic, might be that other people could take use of this thread as well. I got other questions (surprised? :cool:)

1. Till now, I've focused on equipment which doesn't give minus to "hit chance". I guess I should focus on defence and ignore the negatives for hit chance? (Or is it harder to cast buffs and heals too?)

2. I have 3550 gold, any good place to buy me some stuff? I haven't found a master yet who sells spells so I dunno what to spend the gold on.

3. Should I care about encumbered since I'm mostly gonna focus on heals and buffs? (45 lbs).

4. Is there any way to increase this stat except using skill points on Strength? (I currently have equipment with STR stats, but I would prefer to use INT of course)

5. Is it worth spending my gold at Illya's Safehouse for new shapings? (2 available, does not remember the name of them. You guys probably know)

/Ragge :)

Edit: Could a mod please change the thread title to "[Geneforge 4] New player having questions". Thanks. :)

1. When you get to higher levels the negative to hit from items because less important since your to hit would normally exceed 100%. You are about the point where it doesn't make a difference.

3. It doesn't matter as much when your creations do the fighting. Dead weight Shaper doesn't worry about encumbrance since he just does healing and buffing.

4. Shapers can eventually find items that don't weigh much that will lower the strength needed.

5. Concentrate on only creations in your preferred shaping class for now. There are items you can swap when you want to make creations other than that class.

**SPOILER**

I am a bit confused at the moment. Am I doing missions for both Shapers and the Rebels? Captain Kane want me to give names of traitors even though they are the people who helped me reach the safehouse. Is there a point in the game where you officially choose a side? Or is REP just going up and down depends what you do and not? The mainquest (as far as I know) is to reach Northforge, which is given by Greta who is on the Rebel side. Is this going to change if I help the Shapers?

Can someone explain the 'system', please.

/Ragge

Slarty went through an analyzed Reputation with how much it would go up and down plus rewards. Keeping it from going too high or low allows you to get quests from both sides. Certain quests or at least reporting back to the quest giver will let you into certain areas.

You will get into Northforge no matter who you help, but at the end you will need to pick a side for the final battles. Picking it early by helping only one side will cut you off from the other side's quests and may make certain zones automatically hostile. Keeping near neutral by helping both sides and betraying people after they have given you their rewards like naming names to Captain Kane can increase your experience and get you more rewards.

Sect Reputation

Link to Insane Analysis

Slarty went through an analyzed Reputation with how much it would go up and down plus rewards. Keeping it from going too high or low allows you to get quests from both sides. Certain quests or at least reporting back to the quest giver will let you into certain areas.

You will get into Northforge no matter who you help, but at the end you will need to pick a side for the final battles. Picking it early by helping only one side will cut you off from the other side's quests and may make certain zones automatically hostile. Keeping near neutral by helping both sides and betraying people after they have given you their rewards like naming names to Captain Kane can increase your experience and get you more rewards.

Sect Reputation

Link to Insane Analysis

Ok, Is it possible to see your current reputation in-game?

Ok, Is it possible to see your current reputation in-game?

There is the mage lady mercedia in therile colony. She'll say if you're pro rebel or pro shaper but not how much. To see how much in the first half agent mouhad(how do you spell it) in riversgate keep will give you rewards according to how loyal to the shapers you are and Dranor in the safehouse will give rewards according to how loyal to the rebels you are. The same is applied in the second half but with different characters.

EDIT:The reward system can be used to see how loyal you are.

Captain Kane want me to give names of traitors even though they are the people who helped me reach the safehouse.

Welcome to the dilemmas that make the game great!

Both sides have good people and bad people. Both sides rightfully view the other side as an enemy. Remember: In a war good people from each side have to kill good people from the other side. This goes double for civil wars.

I did not betray that poor dock-working rebel and had no problems at all. I also didn't betray the caravan. I didn't betray the safe-house. When Shapers started to become shifty and too suspicious... I had to throw a few otherwise good people under the bus to get in their "let's tolerate him a bit more" side.

It required me doing some things I regret in the later chapters or betray people I liked.

Giving Shaila to the Shapers in Chapter 1 was easy.

If you want to keep open the Trakovite option (the most morally right finale IMO) do NOT betray that Trakovite spy. Not until you talk with him and do his quest with te cannister.