Empty chests?

I am replaying EftP and just finished the gremlins gold quest. Every chest I opened was empty. . . including the blue one on the peninsula that was supposed to have something great. I had the same issue in the castle of the giants. Is this a bug?

I moved on to Ft. Saffron and every chest I'm encountering is also empty. It must be a bug. . .

It's the DREADED EMPTY CHEST bug that means you have a corrupted save game file so all new containers will be empty. The only thing you can do is find the last uncorrupted save game file and restart from there. The autosave file will be corrupted because you have moved through too many zones.

There is no other fix for this bug and it appears in several different recent games.

I don't know if Jeff is aware that it's an ongoing problem. You can get the bug without the backtostart cheat and there doesn't seem to be any way to reproduce it. Replaying from an earlier save game doesn't trigger it.

Avernum 6 was the last time that I saw the bug during testing.

I think Jeff eliminated the backtostart cheat as a source when you reported it.

Maybe you should mention it. We get multiple reports of this happening for every new game. Since it's save-bound, it seems like it must have something to do with the way container contents are written to or read from the save, and likely, one error causes them all to go blank at some point.

From what I've seen from testing the contents are hard coded into the area maps and when the bug occurs the save game file no longer gets the container information when a new map section is added to the save game file. In Avernum 5 testing, the containers near the end were empty because they weren't filled in yet so the only way to get the contents was to start a new game after they were added.

I'll pass it along, but Jeff's starting beta testing so it won't be a high priority.

So, what is the relation to Jeff for some of the mods here? Anyone able to explain things?

I take it Randomizer has a direct line to Jeff but Slarty doesn't? Since I'm so late to this forum party (by a decade at least) I'm sort of confused about the whole dynamic here. And understanding the social layout of forums has always been an interest of mine.

And I don't think I'll ever understand Alorael....

In this case, Randomizer is a beta tester, so he has more of a regular context for discussing bugs with him.

Anyone can get a direct line to Jeff, really. Just email SW, say that the email is specifically for Jeff, and have a legitimate reason for doing so. I guess that last part is the more restrictive one.

No one at SW comes around the forums that often, though they are easy to reach if there's a problem. Probably a wise move for any developer than doesn't have an inordinately thick skin.

The rest of the social dynamic I think is just the result of having a lot of people who've been around literally forever, combined with a forum that is still heavily trafficked but with a much lower volume of posts than was once the case.