Geneforge 2 ending question

I'm currently working my way through the various endings and i noticed that in the unaligned and servant endings this line shows up in the middle "it still feels like the story is incomplete"

What have i missed? i wiped out everybody, destroyed all research and got rid of the barrier of the winds and i still got it.

there are still some people that aren't hostile like in Triola but I would assume that they don't count.

Also interesting is that Geth isn't hostile after wiping out the rest of the Barzites

Triola doesn't matter. Iirc the Awakened can be completely ignored in the unaligned ending.

This is Ghaldrings faction guide.

http://spiderwebforu...in-geneforge-2/

https://app.box.com/shared/e099rcyq0c

Reaction of the Barzites to indiscretions:

- Sabotaging in the radiant college and/or killing both researchers results in Rising turning hostile. However, Gheth remains friendly. - Leaving the Barzites results in the merchants in Gheth refusing to sell to you.

- Being a member of the Takers makes Rising hostile.

- Killing Barzhal makes Rising and Gheth hostile.

So it sounds like you messed up somewhere with killing Barzahl.

I've done it with just the drakon leaders and Barzel (including radiant college). Then I killed the guy in complex core, Pinner, then Zakary, Geth and then cleaned up the barrier of the winds.

All had similar endings narrating what happened after I spoke to the council. This changed only based on who I killed and how happy they were.

The next screen starts off with feeling that something in my story is incomplete. Then it finishes if with how happy I am to be useful to the shaper council.

Just to confirm, the full, best, unaligned ending requires:

- no canister use

- all for faction leaders dead (Barzahl, zakary, some taker drakon thingy and probably tuldaric)

- not to be a member of a faction

- 'followed up' on shanti (which I assume means that thing that happens in barzarite lands?)

- anything else?

I'm keen to attempt this one myself soonish but would hate to get all the way through and miss out a key point.

I'm pretty sure Pinner is required. Not sure if Tuldaric is. But there are definitely multiple Taker leaders that have to die.

i mean if you want to go that route you may as well just kill every named npc just to make sure, there's nobody in the area that the shapers specifically want alive

I went back to the council clearly showing canister abuse

J12CEoR.png

they didn't care about my story

1EhzDr0.png

I told them how i killed lots of people and that made them happy

A2oADDI.png

i finished up my story and everyone just nodded then got concerned then started getting concerned about me

l3K71CJ.png

and now it feels strangely incomplete

SEeizMg.png

(also if someone could help me imbed these images.....)

Edited by Slartibus
by request

You weren't actually linking to the images, you were linking to the imgur pages featuring those images.

And yeah, there is definitely a more triumphant version of thsi ending. It looks like canister use (+ maybe being altered) are the problem here. The alteration may not affect anything outside of its paragraph though, I don't remember.

so i removed the effect of the canisters

ciMzEf7.png

and now the council is happier

vQYIfYo.png

but once again my story is incomplete

sw0mHtc.png

I wonder if that is the setup for geneforge 3, implying that no matter what i accomplished things were going to get worse.

interestingly enough, even though i cleaned shop and massacred pretty much the entire population of the valley, the human takers got away.

this definitely leads to a continuation of the conflict between the shapers and the most radical of the opposition groups.

the only real difference canisters have in the unaligned endings seems to be that you are respected by your peers instead of feared.

you end off both as being rich and happy.

TCGWbhI.png

ps. thank you Slarty for helping me figure out the picture issues

I'm about 99% sure that being altered has no effect whatsoever on anything except your ability to use advanced spells / shaping (i.e. no effect on "canister count" nor any other effect on the ending. I experimented with it in the past and felt pretty confident on that point.

I'm actually wondering if there's a glitch in the ending text. Notice that two paragraphs in a row begin "Finally, you finish telling your tale." Jeff is usually a better writer than to do something like that. I wonder if the "incomplete" paragraph is only supposed to show up if you left the valley without fulfilling a set of ending conditions, but is wrongly showing up in your ending.

I think Triumph is right. Given that ernie said "I removed the effect of the canisters" -- making it clear that he is operating through SDF editing or some other kind of editing -- one possibility is that he has a combination of flags set, that cannot come about through just playing the game, and that the "bug" is actually therefore the result of the editing.

I did use the SDF codes but only to remove the canister effect as I never got altered. It seems that canister usage and altered shows up the same text. This was the only code I used and it was after I killed everyone else and went through the ending sequence a number of times.

Looking back at the first set screenshots from before the SDF codes, shows the same double paragraph, so I guess it is a glitch.

There are points where the options for how one SDF ends up being set, might depend on what another SDF is. So changing an SDF later on could easily result in a not-normally-obtainable combination of SDF values. Whether or not that happened here, it's certainly a thing that _can_ happen.

Triumph is probably right about alteration not affecting the ending.