A:EftP: A witch and three archers, could use help

I played Exile back in the 90's and now found Avernum anew. Played through once on normal difficulty with a fairly regular party. Easy cruising. Missed a bunch of quests.

Now I figured I wanted more of a challenge and started a new game on "hard" with the following 4 characters:

- Witch doubling as a tank. A continuous flow of blessings and curses, no other spells, maximum hardiness and resistance.

- Archer doing some healing on the side. Healing spells, resistance, archery skills up to some sniper.

- Archer doing some summoning on the side. Mage spells, utility skills, everything about archery.

- Archer, pure and simple. Some hardiness on top of the full archery tree.

The main stat for the witch is intelligence, for everyone else it's dexterity. Nobody does elemental spells and only the witch occasionally does melee attacks.

Initially this group didn't have too much trouble with anything but now at levels 15-16 I've noticed the going is getting really tough. Really. Mostly it's mental (daze, fear, stun) and elemental (cold, lightning etc) attacks that are killing my party. Evasion isn't helping much. Mental resistance is around 20 to 30 for the archers, the various elemental resistances around 30 to 50.

Lizardfolk villages, aranea groups, and basilisks are too much. I've found the flying orb and hope to visit Erika for some training but her garden is deadly.

And on the other hand my party sweeps through groups of lizardfolk warriors and ogres without breaking a sweat. Also got lucky with the ogre mage when I was expecting a quick death there.

Anyone else played a setup similar to this? Anyone with survival tips to share? Some quests I should be doing, some unique items I should be going for, some stat I should be raising?

Appreciate any help!

Mental attacks will take out parties with even 90% resistance so make sure you have more than one character that has priest spells to remove them.

Increase endurance to survive elemental damage. There will always be swarms around a lead character that will hit no matter how high your evasion is.

As for Erika, stay outside the garden and attack at extreme range on one plant at a time.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It helps when you keep dying to go on. :)

I don't recall having too much trouble with mental attacks on my first play through with just one priest. Will probably try to keep my priest even further back then... With haste and gymnastics he can pretty reliably cure 2 characters a turn. Are there any items to remove mental effects?

More endurance, check. Health traits too I suppose?

I might be able to do one plant at a time if it weren't for the occasional lizard running around. Should probably try again, attempt to lure the lizards away one at a time before engaging the plants.

Thanks for the suggestions!