• Announcements

• Then and Where and Now and There and When

Logging in   05/10/2017

If you had an account and can't log in as of 5/9/17, this may be because of a change in logins with new forum software. You can log in using your publicly displayed name (not your username) or your email address and the password you used before.   If you have problems with this, please ask any of the mods or admins. 
Chessrook44

Let's Play Avadon!

94 posts in this topic

I have completed my Let's Play of the Avernum saga, so it is now time to move on to Spiderweb Software's next series... Avadon! And of course, we start with the Black Fortress. I admit, I know very little of the Avadon series, as I haven't played very much of it. So if anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to provide me with them!

That said, we begin and start getting used to the change in mechanics.

Looking forward to this. I never liked Avadon or the skill trees but was intrigued by the story. Now I don't have to force myself to play it. :)

Well, it seems not everyone is pleased with the Fortress of Avadon. Who ever would have guessed...

Huge loredumping in this episode as we take a peek around the fortress, and go to speak with the two companions we have gained.

Some exploration of the upper half of Avadon, as we find other people to speak to, and other future companions.

I will be following this.

Looking forward to this. I never liked Avadon or the skill trees but was intrigued by the story. Now I don't have to force myself to play it. :)

I don't really like the skill tree either, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. The thing I really like about Avadon are all of these moral conundrums you have to solve (like in Geneforge). Avadon also has a lot of political comentary that is actually somewhat relevant depending on how you interpret certain elements of the story, which I think is a nice touch.

With so much of the fortress explored, we head down the various stairways to explore what's beneath it.

Finally we leave Avadon and head into the lands of the Kva, exploring the town of Goldcrag and its environs.

With the lands explored, we start going into the buildings themselves to see what we can find and what needs doing.

A two-parter this episode as we explore the Kva Lands and deal with some of the issues out there.

Another two-parter as we finally reach the lair of Zhethron and clear out a little... pest problem of his before speaking with him.

We finish up the last bit of Zethron's lair and move on into the lands owned by the wretches, exploring around before we go into their hole.

This is normally the part of the game where I give up so I am interested to start watching more closely from here on out. Good luck.

We continue onwards, to deal with Onghror. Finally, a capture instead of a kill!

With the wretches dealt with we head back to report to the dragon, and to our superiors.

We take a run through of Avadon to check what's new, and then move on into Dhorl Stead in our beginning explorations of the Farlands.

Well we looked through the lands, now let's head into the building! And the way some are acting... hmmm...

Finally we're able to gather some information on our quest, and... oh... oh my...

We head beneath the Stead and explore the caves for dangerous creatures.

Into the Dorla Woods we go, to explore and find many interesting things.

Further explorations, this time mainly looking UNDER the woods in this place.

Not the most interesting episode here, as we go around levelling up and improving our gear.

Keeping up with this series so far. It's actually really interesting.

How are you planning on handling party members? Now that you have tested them all out will you be deciding on a permanent party or will you just mix and match as the fancy takes you from now on?

Keeping up with this series so far. It's actually really interesting.

How are you planning on handling party members? Now that you have tested them all out will you be deciding on a permanent party or will you just mix and match as the fancy takes you from now on?

Mix and Match, for the most part. However I'm going to try to make sure one is related to the area (Sevilin for the Kva, for example) and one has training in lockpicking (because of course). Beyond that? Well we'll see.

Deeper into the forest we hunt the Shadow Beast, past living hunters and mazed forests.

At last we have tracked the Shadow Beast to its lair. Now it's time to deal with this problem once and for all.

Down we go, beneath the fortress of Avadon, into the abandoned cells, still full of secrets.

Deeper and deeper we go, to the part of Avadon furthest below the surface... hey, is that King Micah?

Back to the Kva we go, as we deal with a few more minor sidequests we happened to find.

I can't be the only one who finds something very concerning about this guy, can I?

Into the Jereth Deeps we go, where we find ogres, mines, and trapped soldiers.

Deeper we go into the canyons, where we find a few things we expected, and something perhaps we didn't...

We head back to report in to others, complete a quick little mission and... wait... where is she?

The hunt is on, as we search for the Wyldrylm warriors causing problems in the Farlands.

Finally we return to Avadon, speak with our allies, and learn a bit about the history of the land.

We go and clear out a bit of an infestation, and then check out regions passed by previously.

Down we go, underneath Zethron's lair, where we find a lot of miscellaneous things that may not have been expected.

Finally we get back onto our main quest, and head off to Kellemderiel. Hmm, maybe I should have given these guys a French accent...

There's a couple farms sitting just on the edge of the Beraza Woods. Let's investigate them!

Into the Beraza Woods we go, to hunt what creatures are in there, and explore throughout it.

We check out more of the outskirts of the Beraza Woods and a deep basement, followed by a little reporting in of quests.