My new computer just came in!

Necris Omega

It's fast! And powerful! And liquid cooled! And has a high end graphics card to replace the one that burnt out and had me performing emergency surgery at 11:30 pm at night! And isn't running an obsolete OS! And has an awesome case with doofy lighting that looks like it could have come from Lo Pan's hide out, but I still love it! And... is horribly, horribly bottle necked with a wimpy connection behind just so, so many software downloads and updates...

... Oh well.

It's still awesome.

Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4x 4.00GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - was running an early generation i5

64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - 8x the memory I was running previously

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti - 6GB - EVGA SuperClocked - Single Card - replacement for an ATI Radeon HD 6800 which self-immolated in protest of being replaced

256GB SanDisk Z400S SSD - 2x what I was running previously

2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive - 2x what I was running previously

Windows 10 Home - Up from Windows 7

It's a significant upgrade! ... except for, you know, the "going to deliver Putin some bad news" download speed I got goin' on here...

I have 32 GB, and I've only maxed it out twice -- both times were rendering some heavy stuff in AfterEffects.

That being said, in modern systems, having excess RAM is not wasteful, as the computer (at least Linux, and modern Windows) will use spare RAM as a cache for commonly-used files on the disk.

What are you planning on doing with 64gb of memory?

I was considering getting into 3D modeling. The scales I work with in only 2D were enough to overload my system.

... Would also help if I used a program that wasn't put out at the turn of the millennium, but never mind.

Besides, anything in technology that's overkill now will inevitably be insufficient sooner than expected. Even if Moore's Law has been slipping, "only 64 gigs?" will come. Look at it this way - WIndows 10 Home is actually addressed for double that. Pro and up? 512 gigabytes of RAM.

Anyone needing that much RAM is probably a supervillain.

To be fair, needing more than 12/16gb is probably something only a fraction of users are ever going to need - modeling is one such use. Sure, shoving more in isn't going to hurt, but you're also really unlikely to use it. I've never used more than 14gb, and I played Arkham Knight on the highest settings. :p

Programs will expand to fill memory. After all it wasn't that long ago that 16 KB memory was the maximum available. During the last tech bubble there was a glut of fiber optic capacity on the Internet and now it's being used to stream video.

In two years he'll be looking to upgrade and increase memory. :)

I'm rarely "cutting edge" on these things (like I said - my last machine had only 8 gigs) but ideally this should last me a good long while.

Unless technological innovation and development stop, a circumstance that would likely come about only at the fall of civilization at this point, that memory will be used.

You know - Eventually.

I'm not saying that you will never use 64GB of memory into the future only that, other than the 3d modelling you indicated, there are going to be a dozen other bottlenecks in your system before you even get close to that amount of memory demand under normal usage.

Either way, an impressive machine. I'm just a little bit envious. Although I'm curious what your download speed is for your interwebs where you are?

If a new computer is getting only 40Mbps over wifi, it's probably the router not the adapter. Does your router support 802.11n?

It was actually replaced with a Tri-band model.

When I say "only," that's compared to other machines on the network, which got almost twice the speed.

Also, changing from the internal to the dongle upped the rate by 4x. Maybe I'm just sitting in a dead(ish) zone somehow...