Avernum 4 slowdown issues (suggested fix included in thread)

leshpar

Hi. I was in the middle of an Avernum 4 runthrough when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I did a fresh install of the OS too, not the upgrade as I've had issues with that before (and I had to boy windows 10 anyway since my win 7 was... *cough* not authentic). On windows 7 the game ran flawlessly. However, after I began using windows 10 Avernum 4 (and avernum 4 only, every other avernum game runs fine) runs so slow its as if I was trying to use a commodore 64 to play it. Its completely unplayable. things that should only take a couple of seconds now take 30 to 40 seconds.

My computer has the following hardware:

3.9 GHZ AMD FX 6350 6 core processor (socket AM3+)

12 GB System Ram PC3 10660 DDR3

2 GB (GDDR5) video ram Geforce 760 GTX (PCI-E 16X)

500 GB Maxtor Hard drive SATA2

1 TB Seagate HDD SATA2

BDrom/DVDRW/CDRW combo drive

Asus M5A97 Motherboard

Thermaltake 700 Watt ATX power supply

Logitech G110 keyboard

Roccat Kone Pure mouse

copy and pasted from another website, hense the odd formatting.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd love to finish A4 before starting A5.

Just as an example I can play Grand Theft Auto 5 with over 60 FPS on max graphics settings. (with V sync off).

With all settings maxed out, GTA 5 uses more than 4GB of VRAM, and you said your GPU has 2GB...

That said, I agree that you shouldn't be having problems with Avernum 4.

• 2 weeks later...

With all settings maxed out, GTA 5 uses more than 4GB of VRAM, and you said your GPU has 2GB...

That said, I agree that you shouldn't be having problems with Avernum 4.

2 GB built in. The rest is taken from my system ram most likely. I have not monitored it, but I do know most modern video cards can pull system ram if they need to.

Originally Posted By: sea

I fixed it.

You'll need to download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.

http://www.microsoft...ls.aspx?id=7352

Launch the 32-bit version, create a new custom database, then a new application fix. Navigate to the affected game executable, select it, and then, on the second page of fixes, look for "ForceDirectDrawEmulation."

To make sure the fix stays, right-click the database and select "Install" which will apply the fixes when you launch the game outside the Compatibility Administrator.

I can confirm that this works.

This fixed slowdown entirely for me, even in the menu screens.

They really should maybe sticky this fix in the "Avernum 4" strategy thread or on the steam forums or something as this seems to be a common problem.

Why this hasn't been stickied yet I don't know, but thank you so much Nim for posting this. It required some digging and clicking of links to get to this (aka: I read the thread and clicked a link to another thread), but I figured I'd post this fix that seems to work. This apparently works for Geneforge 1,2, and 3 as well as Avernum 4.

Why this hasn't been stickied yet I don't know, but thank you so much Nim for posting this. It required some digging and clicking of links to get to this (aka: I read the thread and clicked a link to another thread), but I figured I'd post this fix that seems to work. This apparently works for Geneforge 1,2, and 3 as well as Avernum 4.

Glad you got it working. Definitely not optimal how buried this is.

• 2 years later...

Check for the installed drivers it might happen the installed drivers are not compatible with the system so check for it and try installing the latest one or update the drivers from the manufacturer website and try a fresh installation.

To check for driver related issues: http://www.fixwindowserrors.biz/blog/free-download-driver-booster

Edited by lorein0688

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to add in case someone else runs into this, the Windows toolkit posted in the thread isn't supported any more apparently and won't work on Windows 10. The Compatibility tool is now part of a bigger "Windows ADK" pack. link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/get-started/adk-install

Edited by VoidsX

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Unfortunately this fix did not work for me using Parallels to play Avernum 4 with Steam on a Mac. What did work was this method here (or at least it's working so far): https://steamcommunity.com/app/206020/discussions/0/1742229167187268587/

In case that link doesn't work, the basic details are:

All we need to fix almost all older Spiderware games is Aqrit'sDDWrapper[bitpatch.com].

Unpacking and opening the folder and open aqrit.cfg and setting ForceDirectDrawEmulation to 1 and copying the files inside the wrapper folder to the root folder where the avernum4.exe is and it should run without any noticiable frame lag as before.

I have also had to change the graphics settings on Parallels. In the Control Center for Windows, in Graphics you need to select:

• Resolution: Scaled
  • Advanced Settings: UNCHECK Always use high-performance graphics