Unconscious spell bug.

K'Zad Bhat

In the fight with Hosharr earlier, my mage had been knocked out. I decided the fight was tough enough, but nearly finished enough, that I'd accept him being unconscious for now, and kill Hosharr, and loot his lair. In looting I read the book there that provides the terror spell . . . again with my mage unconscious, so the others gained the benefit, he did not. After reviving him back at Silvar, I returned in order to get him the spell as well, but now I'm told that I learn nothing new from this spell book. I've tried clicking the book with him selected, and with him in the first party position, but no luck. Does anyone know a way I can get him the spell still? I know there's 2 levels worth to buy, but without this book I never get level 3.

I really want to know in case the same thing has to happen again in the future, there's good spells still to get for both my mage and my priest.

Pretty much the only way is to use a character editor to give yourself the spell level. Unless you have a saved game from before reading the spell book and want to replay that is the only way to fix it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. You won't need it, but you will need to be awake. :)

Geez, that sucks.

My only advice given my extremely limited Spiderweb modding experience would be to open the files yourself and find the notepad entry that details getting that spell and then copy that into a new location and hope that works.

ie. Open up the file and find the entry that is attached to the spellbook. Copy out the contents of code that actually gives you the spell level and then copy it into another object in a different location such as a nearby town.

I have zero skill in modding avernum games (limited to geneforge only) or with doing this exact modding action but it is the best I can come up with. Good luck.