Suggestion for AV3: Ruined World

The Exile/Avernum series are good games. I don't care about graphics, if I can see what's going on, then I don't have a problem with it. Sounds suck, sure, but again, sound does not make a good game. The only problem I have with Exile/Avernum is a lack of character interaction. These games could be on par (atleast for an indie developer) with games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age. Notice anything about them? They all have very good storylines (if a bit cliche, sometimes), but they also have great character interaction and development. Exile/Avernum has the former, but none of the latter. If they did, (and depending on how well it's done), there's a good chance that Avernum 3 would vault from a distant 4th to a mid-gap third. I'd doubt no matter what Jeff did, he could rival Baldur's Gate (much less Planescape: Torment), but he could certainly give it a hard fight if there were any character interaction and development.

• 3 weeks later...

i completelly agree, as a whole i didn't like the world and story for avadon series, but character interaction was really cool. i liked games by bioware because of that. However, i can't see ruined world having 'Companion interaction' unless each of the 4 characters has a backstory but the game dynamics would.be complicated, he would need a overhaul of the system and i don't see it happening. Maybe you get better interaction options and to invite people to some other areas but idk, in avernum you inteeract allright. i guess the only thing is that they don't change according to what you do for them and such, they don't get to like or dislike you. But i get where you're comming from.

I second Owenrus' comment. The character development and interaction between party-members would be quite troublesome to create, if not done in a similar fashion to Avadon's style. You'd pick one of the characters as yourself as a player (should you decide to create a party of more than one heroes), and you could assign a few of character relations and backstories to each character, much like traits but with the difference that they don't actually affect anything but the party-members' dialogue with one another; or in case of simpletons (parties comprised of only 1 member), moments of reflection or conversations with strangers. For the sake of simplicity there should have to be a limited amount of such character interactions taking place; possibly some pre-defined and some might be random, but not too much either because there is a lot of reading in the first place in Spidweb's games.

The interaction with outside characters is more or less commendable in the series, but I'd like to see just a little bit more small things like: you go to Island of Bigail and you choose to take the quest to return the charm to the nephil. Once the quest is complete, the nephil disappears and you're happy that you've helped a brother out. Imagine how cool would it be if you actually got to visit some random nephil clan and found the quest-charm-nephil as a clan chieftain or a weaponsmith. Things like that.

If those things should happen, I'd do nothing but play Avernum 3 until I'd die of old age.