A:Eftp: Should I use the Avernum Remix mod?

Hello.

I'm a veteran of the Exile and Avernum series and I'm about to start my first playthrough of Avernum: Escape from the Pit.

My question is whether or not I should use the Remix mod. I've gone over the list of changes and all of them seem to be extremely well thought out and full of flavor and I -want- to use it for these changes, but the only thing stopping me is whether the mod alters the 'feel' of the game. In the Remix thread itself it says "this isn't really intended for new players" and so I am wary.

What do you guys suggest?

Depends what you mean by the feel of the game. There are significant and intentional changes to game balance, with some abilities being made stronger or weaker and a few spells or battle disciplines being replaced with completely new ones. It also has a few little glitches and idiosyncrasies thanks to pushing at the limits of the game engine, so be prepared for that.

What I mean when I say "feel of the game' is the intended atmosphere that the game projects. Would I have a lesser experience by using this on my first playthrough rather than playing the game as intended?

It's hard for me to express what I mean in this regard, so I apologise for that.

Does it make things too easy? Does it feel like using the Character editor or exploiting a glitch for gains?

EDIT: The Akhari Blaze's ReRemix mod shouldn't change the experience, just make gameplay a bit smoother, Slartibus's Remix mod has things like item name changes that are more suited for people on their second play through, so I wouldn't recommend it

EDIT-EDIT: I forgot Akhari Blaze also tweaked spells a bit, only major change is the base healing spell which has a chance to fail now, that would change the experience. The first version of his mod labeled "normal game mod" does not have those changes, and a few other details I forgot.

I'd say no to Slartibus's remix mod simply due to the item name changes. also I don't like how "better" shields actually give slightly less stats than the weaker ones.

Frankly I think Akhari Blaze's ReRemix mod is a good in between and an overall better experience.

It simply un-does a lot of the changes in Slartibus's Remix mod and also fixes weight limits so that they actually matter. More details below:

get it here: http://spiderwebforu...x-graphics-mod/

ReRemix normal game mod full change list:

It is based on the original game: same spells, same disciplines, same items, same everything. Only thing that has changed is the behaviour of bows and polearms, like in the remix mod. Also thrown weapons are not stackable, as in the remix. Other changes:

1. spears have 50% additional chance to immobilize 2 rounds.

2. bracers, gauntlets and boots no longer give a hit chance penalty. Neither do leather greaves, and penalty for iron/steel greaves has been reduced to -5. Metal bracers are heavier, though.

3. All magical bows/polearms have the same bonus that the normal weapons of the same category have

4. shields grant the protection bonus they have in the original game, plus:

wooden: no hit penalty, parry 5%

bronze/iron: -5% CtH, parry 10%

steel: -10% CtH, parry 15%

If you play the game without mods just realize that hit chance will be terrible early game (for allies and enemies) making for some silly looking battles, pole arms weapons will be rare and very disappointing in the end, and the equipment weight limit will almost never be noticed allowing you to wear absurd amounts of armor.

final edit: Fixed the errors, sorry this post was so sloppy.

If you're going to play the game repeatedly, I'd just play the normal version first. If you're probably only playing once, I'd just pick the version whose description you like best. I think the styles Akhari Blaze and I used to describe our respective works are pretty emblematic of the philosophy behind our game balance and mechanics tweaking choices, as well.

I don't really want to get into a thing about it, but FWIW, I think GFTS makes some inaccurate statements above.

I should have replaced the word "frankly" with "personally"... That was probably the sloppiest post I've ever written, even after the edits. (that's what I get for posting here during class)

I was just trying to say that a mod that changes less would affect the games feel less; The "normal game mod" just helps fix the disappointing pole arms issue and reduces early game hit-chance debuffs which are common complaints; and not much else to alter the experience. Of course there is no right or worng answer here, I just hope I didn't confuse him with that jumbled mess of a post.

Does it make things too easy? Does it feel like using the Character editor or exploiting a glitch for gains?

No. The mix makes a lot of things stronger, and a small amount weaker. For an optimal party, I feel the remix makes it slightly weaker. For new player, the remix will make your life easier since it allows more viable build.