Story question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
Edward Collins Edward Collins

Citizen

• Member ID: 1,521
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:38 PM #1 Story question

Question about mages. Can anyone become a mage, if they have the smarts for it, or do you have to have magical abilities to become a mage? Example. In D&D 3rd edition, anyone could become a wizard (although you had to train, and had to have a higher than average intelligence to become a wizard, sorcerers it's inborn). In Dragon Age, you had to have the ability to cast magic to become a mage (and if you did have magical abilities, you're forced to live in a prison- the quality ranges from "just slightly better than a Nazi concentration camp" - like Kirkwall's Gallows, and you might be safer being a Jew in a Nazi concentration camp than in the Gallows - to a prison just slithly worse than Pablo Escobar's hotel prison - like Fereldan's Circle.)
Knowledge is Power. Lack of Knowledge is lack of Power.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,889 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:20 PM #2 Story question

Anyone can become a mage.  You can put skill points to mage levels anytime in the game although at character creation you can get some low level spells for free instead of having to buy them.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,828 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:31 PM #3 Story question

Plotwise, there are no references I can think of in the Avernum series to magic being something innate that you either have or don't, and quite a few references to it being something people learn through intensive training and study. Some people might have more of a talent for it than others, but in principle there doesn't seem to be anything stopping a random person off the street from learning magic.

diclobcid diclobcid

Alorael

• Administrator
    • Member ID: 276
  • 22,090 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:16 PM #4 Story question

Some people are "Natural Mages" according to the trait. Others are just ordinary mages.

—Alorael, who also doesn't recall anything definitive one way or another. There's also no definitive declaration that one need not be born a priest, or a blacksmith, or a farmer, though. The absence of evidence for some necessary inborn talent probably does mean there's no such essential inherent quality.

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:12 PM #5 Story question

"There's nothing harmful about any random person starting to summon demons" -Linda
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Zaego Zaego

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,936
  • 106 posts
  • LocationAvernum

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:58 PM #6 Story question

View PostLilith, on 01 January 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

...but in principle there doesn't seem to be anything stopping a random person off the street from learning magic.

In Avernum 3, there is actually a book that is labeled "Magic for Dummies". I do remember that the book described simple spells that included doing something benevolent (?) to one's grandparents, and spaying a pet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users