GF3 Speed Demon Party

Macaros

I have played this several times on this computer, same installation with never an issue. Started a new game today and for some reason the character and his creations move like lightning everywhere, though Greta and Alwan move normally and so does everything else. I reduced scroll speed in case that would help. Nope. Made a new game and it is the same, Speed demons.

What to do?

Also, for what it's worth, your post history does include a post from back in July asking about how to install the Geneforge 3 editor, so you might have installed it and forgotten about it. Be warned that you'll have to start a new game to have a normal walk speed again: the value is stored in your saved game so reverting the relevant script files won't change your existing saves.

So the editor from back then has morphed by itself? I did not consider the editor gotten here to be an edit or "scripting" when I did nothing more than install it. I did not edit any walk speed. I have played it through before with that editor file on it without any issues. I am just asking how it may have happened, when I have done nothing else but removed and replace the editor file from here. So, removing the editor and replacing the old file will fix it, if what you say is true, but, how it morphed is strange.

OK. My last game must have been begun BEFORE I installed that editor, hence no problem noticed. Just did a clean install of GF3, made a toon, it moved normally. Put the editor in and made a second one and it was doing the speed demon thing. Something in the editor or how my computer reads that got changed. Problem identified. I don't UNDERSTAND it, but, I know what causes it. Thanks.

Yeah, at least one of the versions of the GF3 editor floating around includes changes to the PC's walk speed: it's a deliberate effect, although one that I remember a lot of people complained about at the time. I think there might be versions out there that don't do that. So you might have updated the editor to the version with the walk speed changes and not actually made a new character since then until now, when you noticed the issue.

Yeah, installing most of these editors involves actually REPLACING some of the definitions files (or "scripts") used by the game.

PSA: if you install something called an "editor" and someone asks if you've used "any kind of editor", the correct answer is not "No". I don't know why, but this exact sequence happens more than you'd expect, and it results in wasted time for people trying to help. :/