Character Skill Glitched? O.o

Richard Bacon

Ive started playing Blades of Exile again(Love it) and this weird thing i noticed with one of my characters.

Now my party has all the default names(Just cus i like them) Anyway character 5 "Feodoric" the Character with both Mage and Priest Skill.

When i was training characters and went into his skills i noticed something weird and not possible O.o,

Now I have not edited any of my partys skills using the blades of exile character editor so yea,

On Feodoric's "Disarm Traps" his skill point level on it was UP TO 256!!!!, This i say is not possible because no skill goes that high.

and i can take off it in the editor(Downgrade it in level) but not move it back up.

Was wondering if this was a bug?

will have a picture eventually

What version of Blades are you using? With a one byte variable, 256 is the same thing as 0, so this smells like a weird variable format conversion issue, possibly specific to Feodoric's default data for that one stat.

That stat was at 0 when i started, and 256 being zero is unspeakable as i have used him to disarm traps and hes been successful on all of them.

And the Character "Frrrr" who in which in the party is the only one with Disarm Traps skill at 4 by default. Even Frrrr has failures on the traps that Feodoric is successing. And a Trap in Zaskiva(Capital city, Very Important Place so Traps here can be hard) feodoric even successfully disarmed that one too. so it is very weird

and ill tell you the build after i get home to see it.

@Slartibus

BoE skills are stored in the save files as 16-bit integers, not 8-bit. Not sure if they're signed or unsigned, I'd have to check the sources; I think unsigned... In any case, the maximum is much higher than 256.

However, the effects of very high skills can be weird, because most of them use lookup tables rather than flat arithmetic. For instance, 50 Strength will have you hitting rarely and doing little damage; while 255 Strength has a character hitting every time for 50+ damage. I suspect this is because the tables are stored next to each other in memory, and the index is overrunning into other tables. :(

@Richard Bacon

Not sure how that could happen without you noticing. What version of BoE are you using?

Tevildo, you're exactly right about the tables, yeah.

With 16-bit variables, 256 suddenly appearing sounds like an out of range error -- i.e., the program attempted to increase something else by 1, but mistakenly increased the high byte of the disarm traps skill by 1, instead.

Mr. Bacon, have you done anything at all with your save files (any of them) other than playing scenarios? e.g., use of the editor to edit things BESIDES skill, poking around with a text editor, etc.

Tevildo, you're exactly right about the tables, yeah.

With 16-bit variables, 256 suddenly appearing sounds like an out of range error -- i.e., the program attempted to increase something else by 1, but mistakenly increased the high byte of the disarm traps skill by 1, instead.

Mr. Bacon, have you done anything at all with your save files (any of them) other than playing scenarios? e.g., use of the editor to edit things BESIDES skill, poking around with a text editor, etc.

For some reason the file once became MAIN BLADE PARTY.SAV.txt

So i just changed it back to MAIN BLADE PARTY.SAV, and ive added gold and food to the party, added some spells and removed them, and thats all.....

I mean, none of that *should* cause this to happen, but I'll put money that it was one of those things that caused it, and not the game itself.

If the file suddenly changes type without explanation, that's a pretty good clue that something is going on outside the normal bounds.

I mean, none of that *should* cause this to happen, but I'll put money that it was one of those things that caused it, and not the game itself.

If the file suddenly changes type without explanation, that's a pretty good clue that something is going on outside the normal bounds.

Ok, And my build is the one that SpiderWeb software made itself, The first one, designed for the older computers. A.K.A Not the one that was made by the public (Eg. THE NEWEST BUILD S NOT DESIGNED/UPDATED BY SPIDERWEB SOFTWARE, IT IS EDITED BY THE PUBLIC)

@Richard Bacon

I'm guessing it's because you used an ordinary text editor, instead of a hex editor, and moved some stuff around by accident.

e.g. You have 200 gold:

00c8

Now you have 30000

However, if you don't overwrite those first two NULs...

^^^ Then you've displayed all the data following that value. Position matters in binary files.

@Richard Bacon

I'm guessing it's because you used an ordinary text editor, instead of a hex editor, and moved some stuff around by accident.

e.g. You have 200 gold:

00c8

Now you have 30000

However, if you don't overwrite those first two NULs...

^^^ Then you've displayed all the data following that value. Position matters in binary files.

Heres the thing, I didnt edit any text file of it at all, heck i never even opened it in text format. Idk how the skill reached 256 but im not clicking 256 times to fix it in the editor, nor am i opening it in text format to fix it either.

Ima just leave it be then and not use feodoric for traps