Have I lost Garzahd?

Well, I grabbed the Crystal Soul in the Ziggurat and ran. I had already retrieved the other two souls.

Now I'm back in the Ziggurat to finish off Garzahd, but I can't find him. There seems to be no switch or weak wall that will give entry to the open area where he and his gang chased me previously.

Have I lost him and that fight forever? Or am I just missing something as usual?

Thanks for any clues.

OK, don't mind when or where I kill him, it's just that I can't get through to that area at all, although I used to be able to get there. So I can't reduce him to half-health or whatever. Do I have to leave the ziggurat by the front door instead and search elsewhere for Garzahd? Or am I missing some hidden switch in the upper tower?

Thanks for responding.

• 7 months later...

If he is in fortress named after him then don't know where, killed his inquisitor but after that no living/undead person in fortress besides party. Highly unlikely that I killed him in Ziggurat since escape via roof was let's say quick.

Killed imposter/substitute Garzahd on 1st level during assault on Ziggurat with Vahnatais.

I think it was easier to find him in Avernum 2 than in remake.

weird logic afterall. room where party gets tported after killing Garzahd's inquisitor has tporter which eventually leads to Garzahd (who looks quite small, even those Empires mages encountered for example during ambushes look bigger).

1st sidenote: apparently those 2 haakais and those smaller demons didn't hear that spell which banished demons.

2nd sidenote: Garzahd's throneroom is way smaller than in Avernum 2.