Level progression mod

First of all a greeting to the community, it is good to know that there are still fans of this type of rpg even in the modern days. Oh, and please be patient about my english: I can read it very well but I'm not so sure when writing.

After digging a bit this entire forum, i have now some understanding of this game scripts mechanics. I can add/modify items, alter skills/stats via extra dialogue lines and some other basic stuff.

But I can't find nothing in these text files about level progression, ie the amount of stats increases, skill point and number of traits that the game allow to pick/allocate when a character level up.

In the specific, all I want is to have a linear level progression even after lvl 30.

I have searched extensively the game directory, and the only files that could administer those values are the two ".dat" contained in the "averum 2 files" directory, or maybe the executable itself. Unless, of course, I have absentely skipped something.

I know that there is the official in-game editor, but that is not what I want.

If these values are indeed hard-coded, all I need are the hexadecimal offsets where these are stored and/or the name of the file that i need to modify. My last resort would be to attach a debugger to the game process, but please, do not make me do such a thing, it's a painfully slow and irritating method.

Thanks in advance to all those who will offer their help.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was already almost sure that this was hard-coded stuff, and yes, debugging the executable in this case is the only real option.

I was only hoping that maybe someone in this forum could have already locate those values.

EDIT: Problem solved. Probably took me longer to write this post than to trace the routine. It was a single line (CMP AX,1E modified in CMP AX,3D, at 0044CFCF). This give stat/skill points even past lvl 30 until lvl 61 (1E=30, 3D=61). If you follow the subsequient CALL and JMP commands you can even easily locate the traits routine and the automatic increase in stats, or the amount of stat/skill points given, but that was beyond my scope. Tested briefly, and working.

By the way, you can simply hex-edit Avernum.exe (address: 0004C3D0 | 83F8 1E7E --> 3D3D 007E)

I did not upload the modified executable because I do not know if this is allowed by the rules of the house, or if anyone is interested.

PS: The question in the registration form is misleading: What animal appear in the company name? Jesus, there's a dragon in the logo. Took me 15 minutes (and countless attemps with various synonyms for "dragon") to realize my mistake. :blush:

PS: The question in the registration form is misleading: What animal appear in the company name? Jesus, there's a dragon in the logo. Took me 15 minutes (and countless attemps with various synonyms for "dragon") to realize my mistake. :blush:

It says "company name," not "company logo." This isn't Dragonweb Software.

The grammatical/logical form of the question is absolutely correct. but in the rush to complete the record, when I scrolled the page to see the name of the company (which at the time I did not remember precisely) there was a huge dragon head standing above everything (at least in my mind). My self-deprecating "PS" was just to make you see how clumsy I can be sometimes. :D