Torment singletons

New here but I'm an old veteran of most Spiderweb Software games, minus the Avadon series, which I couldn't really get into. I just finished Avernum: EftP, and have to say this far this one beats them all. I'll try to explain why (apart from Avernum/Exile 1-3 being my favorites).

I always have problems relating to parties in heavy rpgs, and tend to go for the single character option whenever possible. Having experience playing through the older Exile and Avernum series, I thought I might as well try it on torment this time and see how far it takes me to hit a wall.

So I planned a route to take my character through leveling, thinking I would end up somewhere level around level 40. And so I did, pretty early and without the wisdom crystals I was hoarding. A big part of the game seemed pretty relaxing, and I had no idea of the struggle that awaited towards the endgame, so I decided to just get all spells at level 3 and max lore and tool use to fully explore the world once again. I never really used anything past cloak of blades/ward of elements so I ended up stunted in physical combat. Later parts of the game, especially the outdoor battles, became huge tactical struggles. After an evening of Grah-Hoth, and weak attempts at the other main quests, I decided it's time to seek wisdom in the crystals.

As the sun was setting in the horizon, I finally managed to climb to the top of the spire and slay the emperor. At level 60. I haven't felt this rewarded after beating almost any other game.

Here's a poorly made summary of the end in pictures, let me know if it doesn't work:

http://i67.tinypic.com/8xngqb.jpg

Looking forward to attempt the same in Crystal Souls, my absolute favorite chapter, which seems to be on sale right now.