Exile III and windows 10

Rugila

Hello! Yesterday I decided I want to play Exile III and so I got the installer from this website and was all set to install it and then run the game through Dosbox emulator. My problem is however, that even the installer refuses to work for me on windows 10 so I am unable to get the game files so that I could mount them through emulator and play some Exile III. Any solution for this? If I could get the files in .rar format and extract them to a correct folder perhaps?

Exile III is not a DOS program and therefore would probably not work in DOS anyway. If you can get your hands on a copy of Windows 98 or XP and run it in Virtualbox, you may have better luck. Windows 98 could probably run in Dosbox as well, if you prefer Dosbox. Bear in mind that I'm not the most technologically inclined person around here, though.

• 3 months later...

It's a complicated mess, if your not computer savvy, to get older games to run on windows 10. I was about to give up on this after reading this post when i found this site: www.old-games.com. It's a site that bundles old games already set up with dosbox running an older version of windows in their "easy set up" download option. They ask for a paypal donation for a fast download, I took the free option which was so slow it reminded me of downloading with a modem connection (it took nearly 45 minutes for 12.4 MB). When I unzipped it I just had to click on 'Start the game' and it started right up. The cursor seemed a little buggy in the party creation screen but other than that it runs just like I remember it. 'Start the editor' works too. But don't use exile 3's editor-It's just cheating. :)

Well, there is the old Avernum 3.

IMHO, Exile 3 is much better, though, but I think I'm in the minority here.

Definitely not. When comparing the Exile games with the corresponding first generation Avernum games, A1 is often seen as most improved compared to E1, while A3 is often seen as the least improved compared to E3. Not due to mechanics so much as the general feel of the game.

In particular, E3 was the brightest and most literally colorful game SW has released, while A3 was visually darker and more muted in comparison. Part of this was because of the day/night thing (which I would assume will not be returning in A3RW).

• 2 weeks later...

You need to install windows 3.1 through dosbox. There should be a preinstalled zip floating around. Then you can run exile 3 from there, after setting the VGA to 256 colors and installing the sound blaster 1.5 driver. Funny thing is, on my laptop, exile 3 works perfectly without any sound breakup. But on my desktop, which is much faster, the sound breaks up and lags. Both with clean installations of dosbox.

• 7 months later...

Well, there is the old Avernum 3.

IMHO, Exile 3 is much better, though, but I think I'm in the minority here.

Then I must be too :p

Anyway, back on topic. I actually also would like to replay the original Exile games myself. I have a serious nostalgia kick right now. Does the Old-games package work for everyone? Or do I actually need to run an emulated OS to fulfill this wish? Has anyone gotten it to work on Win8.1?

• 4 months later...

Hey! I just installed Exile II on a VirtualBox VM running Win98. I'm on Win7. When I first boot up the VM, everything's fine, but after a while the game slows down a lot and I lose the sound.

Any ideas what the deal is?

It might be unrelated, but in the same situation (98se VM on Win7) I had to install some special video driver stuff onto 98 to get it to be even somewhat-responsive (something wonky with how things got virtualized, i guess). Perhaps this is a similar issue? It has been...some time...since I worked with it, though, so i don't remember any details.

• 3 weeks later...