Geneforge 1 Faction Ending, casul questions

adc.

Hey guys. I'm currently on my serious Geneforge 1 playthrough and I'm wondering which servile faction should I join for an easier first-time playthrough. I'm also planning on doing a Shaper purist kind of style but that would require me using a minimal amount of canisters and not joining any, but that'll be soon after I this.

Spoiler Alert!!!

I've actually played the game about 5 years ago on a WildTangent demo, and if my memory serves me right, I reached the end of the game, got a boat, but I joined the Takers and got a very unpleasant ending, I know they've sided with the Sholai so my gullible logic at that time told me that Sholai = pirates, thus Sholai(s) probably sail.

I didn't actually grab a lot of ideas or info (thank God I could barely remember anything of great value) as I completed the game, mainly did it for the sake of completion, and being young and ill at that time, I couldn't stand 5 hours of straight playthrough, which is a good thing, so I'm about to finish what I've started five years ago.

End of Spoiler

I'm planning to join the Awakened but that would instantly lock me out of the other factions. I want to explore the game as much as I could without siding with any, yet. Unless I've exhausted the game, then I'll go join a faction and end the game.

Regrettably, I've said opinions that would make the Awakened grin from ear to ear, but hey, being stuck in an island with no other hope other than living with natives, your stiff-necked pride won't save you; so I've told them what they'd want to hear, does being inclined to a faction though not joining them give you benefits? Other than making them happy, of course.

tl;dr

Should I join factions (to make my game easier to explore) early or in the endgame? If so, what faction?

Edited by Grim

Joining the Takers will make a number of zones much easier to pass through than you'd otherwise find them.

Sounds unpleasant, but I would have explored much of the game already to some limit before I could have joined them, so that sounds reasonable.

Has anyone tried the Shaper purist playthrough (e.g. no canisters, no faction, no friends)? If so, will my character fare better in the end? Or will the Shapers punish me for discovering their secrets?

Note that changing factions can be tricky, but it is possible. You aren't necessarily locked into the first faction you join.

I guess it is, but that doesn't mean you won't be greeted with hostility in some factions.

More questions though, should I sell my gemstones? Or will I get to use an enchanted anvil later in the game? Also, Matt P.'s guide mentioned something about Ellrah giving a gold key if I have enough leadership, I tried raising that stat to 10 with my remaining SP and the options were still the same.

(Currently enjoying this game, and hoping that the remakes would still retain its charm)

Has anyone tried the Shaper purist playthrough (e.g. no canisters, no faction, no friends)? If so, will my character fare better in the end? Or will the Shapers punish me for discovering their secrets?

No faction is easy, just gonna miss some free skills. I have done a no canister run, was bloody annoying, not that the game recognizes it anyway.
I guess it is, but that doesn't mean you won't be greeted with hostility in some factions.
This isn't G2, the faction system is very rudimentary.

More questions though, should I sell my gemstones? Or will I get to use an enchanted anvil later in the game? Also, Matt P.'s guide mentioned something about Ellrah giving a gold key if I have enough leadership, I tried raising that stat to 10 with my remaining SP and the options were still the same.

No anvils in G1&2. Sell the gemstones. You get the gold key if you join the Awakened, possibly earlier if you ask him for help to kill Warp and have the required LS ?

This isn't G2, the faction system is very rudimentary.

That's a relief, Matt P's walkthrough also mentioned some Learned Darian somewhere (don't tell me where to find him, no spoilers please) which could greatly help you side with another faction, so my opinions for now won't matter in their convos.

No faction is easy, just gonna miss some free skills. I have done a no canister run, was bloody annoying, not that the game recognizes it anyway.

Well then, I guess I'll have to balance it out for the most optimal outcome. Thanks guys, that's all for now.

Just got to Pentil, it seems I was mistaken from my assumption that joining the Obeyers would turn me into a lowly servile and that I have to prostrate myself before my fellow Shapers. Looks like they're trying to secure the island instead and keep the Shaper tradition instead.

Me still pondering about the Shaper purist run for a better Shaper ending, should I join them? Or should I abstain myself from actually joining any?

(Don't ask me about the obsession with the ending, I want to experience the game completely ;_; )

Regrettably, I've said opinions that would make the Awakened grin from ear to ear, but hey, being stuck in an island with no other hope other than living with natives, your stiff-necked pride won't save you; so I've told them what they'd want to hear…Does being inclined to a faction though not joining them give you benefits? Other than making them happy, of course. Should I join factions (to make my game easier to explore) early or in the endgame? If so, what faction?

The ending is primarily determined by what you do…and especially what you do with the Geneforge…rather than by what you say or what opinions you express. I myself committed to a faction only at the very end of the game. It looked to me as if the main effect would have been the stuff the faction was willing to give me, which was geared towards the early game, rather than my ability to make it through to the end.

If you join/support one faction, but actually do what a different faction wants, don’t be too disappointed if the other faction ends up happier.

That’s how I played much of the Geneforge series, but I don’t see how you could ever make it through Geneforge 1 without canisters and lots of them. (I always played on torment though…and I’ve seen enough of these forums to know that anything I think is impossible, someone else has managed to pull it off).

That’s how I played much of the Geneforge series, but I don’t see how you could ever make it through Geneforge 1 without canisters and lots of them. (I always played on torment though…and I’ve seen enough of these forums to know that anything I think is impossible, someone else has managed to pull it off).

I did a no-canister run on torment with a melee singleton a few weeks (months ?) ago. The biggest problem was that the duration of speed pots sucks. No healing and curing were minor annoyances.