Avernum 2 help: last crystal soul (spoilers)

I have defated Garzahd, closed the portal, and found two of the three crystal souls. I am pretty sure that the final crystal soul is behind the purple force field on the top floor of Ornotha Ziggurat, but I have absolutely no idea how to destroy that force field and retrieve this last crystal soul. Any help? I have already talked to the head mage in Elgi, but I don't have an option to ask her about it.

You need to trigger a quickfire trap in the room just to the east of the northwesternmost room, then quickly head to the northwesternmost room, get the crystal soul and find a way out.

I already triggered the quickfire trap when I first got to that part of the game. I ran outside, away from the fire, and confronted Gharzad before he ran off. The quickfire did not destroy the forcefield when this happened, and how I can't get it to trigger again. That same room just inflicts lightning on me, but does not trigger the quickfire.

You shouldn't need to trigger the quick fire trap again. Explore the room to the west of the magical barrier and search the containers. If you go on the roof, then you went too far.

There is only a desk in the room directly west of the forcefields, and clicking it does not do anything. Also, the wall that was destroyed before by the quick fire is back again. I think it might be a glitch, which isn't a big deal I guess since I am right at the end anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

support@spiderwebsoftware.com

Nobody yet has offered a solution to your conundra, ChronoTravis and jetcitywoman. It is likely that you have stumbled across game-breaking bugs which were missed during alpha and beta testing. Spiderweb Software would probably like to know about these issues, so I suggest you email the above address with all the details you can give. Jeff or Mariann will probably lead you through the standard "Restart the program, restart the computer, reinstall the game, etc." checks, and if the bug is still not solved and especially if it can be reproduced, the company will probably release a patch.

Thanks for bringing this up!

When Jeff does beta testing, he releases the game in sections so there was only one order that testers could do the three Crystal Souls quests. In order for this bug to show up a beta tester has to wait until the full game has been tested and remember to delete the preference file in order to clear out the medals before doing the quests in a different order.

I restarted the program, rebooted and reinstalled and it's still the same, so I'll email them about it.

Thanks Randomizer. I understand how some things are very hard to beta test, so I'm not upset about it. Spidweb games are still head and shoulders above EVERY other game I play in terms of quality and customer service.

Okay, Jeff says that my saved game was normal, no bugs and that I am in the wrong place to kill Garzhad. So here is what I think happened. I actually did get the crystal soul the first time through that area, fought with Garzahd on the rooftops but he was kicking my behind and I realized that I didn't yet have Demonslayer, so I took the soul and ran for my life. I definitely returned two souls but just lost track of which two. It would be nice if the quest description updated with some kind of a status on a large, multi-part quest like this. For example, it would be nice if it said "you've returned a soul from $location1 and $location2, but still have to find the third soul". I'm one of those people who can only play for a few hours on weekends because Real Life interferes, and I forget some details in between sessions.

If you are still trying to see which one you need, the three crystal souls are:

Jekknol, found at Pyrog's Cave, reward is Level 3 Cloak of Blades and Sage's Bow

Vyvnas, found at Angierach, reward is Level 3 Blink and Mercuric Chain

Caffren, found at Ornotha Ziggurat, reward is Level 3 Ward of Steel and Duelist's Rapier