• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic
alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 685 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:22 PM #71 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Watching E23.
I like that you started naming the episodes BTW. I kept the clover boots (and the captain's shiv) till the very end of the game. Was swapping out the boots often, but you never know when you'll need that extra stealth.
It's especially useful with the Unbound. You can sneak up right past their noses (so to speak) with those boots

Howdy! 6 creations. You're a gang boss now. :)

Episode24 has a problem around 5:08 for about a minute and a few shorter problem around 12:30 and a bit later
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 411 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:14 PM #72 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Thanks for the comments. There have been a few issues that I've been unable to prevent in a few videos lately. The recording software has been shitting itself and I've been fighting it a bit. I think I have things under control now but please let me know if anything else seems out of order. Sadly I picked it up too late to fix it and I can't go back and re-record.

Regarding artifacts, I haven't made any yet. Unsure why the crafting order matters though?

And for future you, Episode 36 - Stoneworks Continued is now active. I can feel a boss fight coming on. I've played enough spiderweb games to get the boss fight feels.

EDIT: And I would like to apologise. I have become aware that episode 36 is corrupted from the 18.30 mark onwards. This is unprofessional and I can only apologise. I believe that it is fixed for later recordings such as the upcoming boss fight. Sadly I cannot fix episode 36. Will be more vigilant in future. Maybe you can be generous and attribute it to my newbie recording skills?

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 06:47 AM #73 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I am not sure why it is different, but it is. When I mean crafting order, I mean this:

Purified something + material A ~> minor artifact A
Purified something + material B ~> minor artifact B
minor artifact A + material B ~> major artifact AB
minor artifact B + material A ~> major artifact BA

Major artifact BA is somewhat different than AB!

What I mean? To avoid spoilers:
Assume AB gives a +3 bonus to piano skill and a +2 to playing the harmonica skill.
BA would give a +3 bonus to Harmonica skill and a +2 to piano skill.

You usually get an inkling before hand, as in A gives +2 to piano and B +2 to harmonica skill. But it's not uniform for all artifacts.

That kind of thing. So, be VERY careful when you make something. If not sure, and you don't want to just check from the web what each artifact does and decide beforehand what to go for...
Go for the artifact once you have both A and B so you can make both AB and BA. Or just take the risk.

If you want, I could tell you here what artifacts I consider best for shapers\lifecrafters. Or you could ask elsewhere in the forum, cause I'm not sure that I agree with everyone.

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:52 PM #74 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I don't really need to know which artifacts are best for anyone, I'll muddle along and figure it out. What I would appreciate though is if you notice I have gone past an area and missed an important ingredient. At the moment I am a little concerned that you are asking me about artifacts and I am still 6-10 episodes ahead of you and haven't found ANY special ingredients.

ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני ĐªгŦĦ Єяŋϊε דארת ערני

Hand of Avadon

• Member ID: 2,577
  • 1,120 posts
  • Locationstuck on my Möbius staircase

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:46 AM #75 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Check slarties list
Behold! The Drizzle......of DEATH!!!!!! . . . . . . .-visual effect of using powerful spells in Avadon 2 (they're a bit of a letdown compared to their damage)

When they eventually find a piece of ash that they think was you, they bury it with great honor........ -A2CS ending script from portal explosion

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:37 AM #76 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I'm trying to avoid using any guides on this playthrough. Hence why I have probably missed a lot of things. I'm always happy to accept any advice offered by viewers but if you want to withhold then that's also fine.

And the next episode is ready. Episode 37 - Dark Golem.

Fair warning, this is the last episode with lag and freezing issues. Most of it is fine but it does go wonky in a few parts. I've spent a long time tinkering and testing the next few episodes and it appears that from 38 onwards the issue is fixed. Needed a full reinstall of OBS and a host of other changes to undo the damage from the latest update. There is also good news in that I have a brand new microphone that is being used from episodes 39 and onwards so my voice will be much clearer if no less terrible.

Enjoy.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:08 AM #77 Let's Play Geneforge 5

You haven't missed many things, I don't remember where I found most ingredients... but I remember where I got -one- ingredient and you have missed it. :)

Or more accurately, avoiding spoilers: I have done a quest you have avoided yet about at your level, using stealth, and got an ingredient. I had my first artifact IIRC around the time AFTER I was in the Stoneworks. I think. Not sure. I've forgotten the order a bit, which is a reason I like your videos. Remind me of stuff.

About the freezes... as long as the golem fight you mention is not wonky, I'll enjoy it. The golem fight was ... memorable. Not that much because of the (great) difficulty, but because of the other revelations that you already know. I still remember the final moments of the ... person responsible for me fighting the golem.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:20 AM #78 Let's Play Geneforge 5

As a note: I don't pay much attention to your inventory. I have noticed that you have one ingredient unless I was mistaken at a time I have two.
I'll take a better look next time, but as I said, I'm not sure WHEN I got most of my ingredients. Keep in mind: I didn't use them all. :)

Before you move to the next area, make sure you have some awesome magic gloves (forget the name) that give lots of mechanics. I remember finding them... before I moved out of Astoria's province.
On second thought... at end game with ALL my "mechanics bonus" equipment on, I had 1 mechanics more than you do. :) You'll probably never need the items.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:16 PM #79 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 25, around 1:40. That little storage there in Penta, with the chest, is where I dropped most of my equipment. Near the end of the game, I probably had like 40 items there that I couldn't bring myself to sell. I was throwing crystals and crafting material there, as well as swamp herbs and research notes. Oh, just watching it brought up... emotions.

Aah... learned Dominic and his speech of "I know I will one day die protecting this place from a Shaper". The reason I sold the papers to them immediatelly instead of poking around for a better price.
I liked his stoicism and realism about the situation and his life expectancy.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:38 PM #80 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I'm not sure I found the boss fight very difficult. I was certainly surprised that the boss was who they were, that honestly caught me off guard, but I did complete the entire thing without reloading if I recall correctly.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:46 PM #81 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Well, it was not memorable to me, like my first Unbound kill, that took me 2 reloads, and a stack of healing spores and curing spores + extra items to give boosts while I cast spells.

I have a ... suggestion for your strategy (while wathing episode 25, Penta). Perhaps you should postpone opening locks until after you explored as much as you can from a place. Talked to people.
You used living tools twice as I saw, for doors that would be opened in a dialogue.
Really, you have mechanics 12. :) If unlock (that works with mechanics IIRC since if you put on mechanic gear it unlocks doors that it doesn't without) doesn't open a lock... it's not meant to be opened yet.
As a note, with unlock 1 I could open all doors I could open with 1 Living tool and at 2, I could open most (but not all) doors that required 2 living tools.

As a note, I think there was something of great value (item or ingredient) in that geniously made escape route, that crosses an open highway right next to a fort that is described as "able to turn around a force of a dozen Unbound" or something.
But perhaps I confuse it with GF4.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:22 AM #82 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I love my mechanics skill. No door shall remain closed to me. :D

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 12:49 AM #83 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 38 is up and ready. No freezing issues, everything looks good. Welcome back to a little bit of professionalism and I hope you enjoy the vid.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:03 AM #84 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 27, Kaz, with the Servile and the "junk" that happens to be speciallized shaper equipment:
I was pro-shaper at that point and leadership helped me out I think. I had no problem buying from him... although IIRC he was expensive.
He had materials that you could use in recipies to make a profit though.

Anyway, I always find it interesting that Kaz had someone selling shaping equipment to the rebels but no Shaping hall or something or any Drakon insulting you while making cannisters.
Perhaps they ship it to rebel lands to the east with those wagons and other Serviles.
As for the East side of the Shadow Road, unless I'm very mistaken it's FULL of mechanic checks. I couldn't clear it all. Perhaps nice stuff awaits there for people like you.

I feel quite ... glad that you bumped leadership to 8. It would be good to have a little more... but you'll soon start finding those infiltrator items that give leadership\mechanics bonus.
There are a couple of places, not more, that you get an awesome reward for having high leadership. For some reason... I remember GF4's such places and not GF5.

Episode 28 sound issues: If I make commend on the audio, now the sounds of picking up stuff and such are too loud. I thought to lower the volume on my PC but then I couldn't listen to your descriptions. I don't know how or if you can address that, or whether you want to. It was though kinda annoying in the anvil part.

There was no freezes in this episode that I recall.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:18 AM #85 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Good feedback with the sound. It won't be fixed for some time but I will do my best to tone that down in future recording sessions. Expect a difference from episode 43 onwards.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:35 PM #86 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 39is up and ready. Minor issues with some new enemy types costs me part of my army but I've restructured and hopefully am coming back stronger. The shaper is still alive at least, that is the best part about having an expendable army. (I can feel myself moving more and more pro-shaper the more I play this game.)

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:47 PM #87 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 40 (has it really been that many?) is out and released as we finally cross into the borders of Perikalia, the lands of General Alwan.

I apologise for all the terrible Vlish names but I really can't help myself once I get a theme going. Expect them to get worse.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:53 PM #88 Let's Play Geneforge 5

So a brief update on the series; I've formalised my release schedule for Geneforge as a part of trying to make my channel just a little bit more professional. As such, Geneforge 5 will update on every odd date (15, 17, 19, etc.)

Up until this point episodes have been coming out approximately 3 times a week and have been a bit random. Make sure to subscribe to the channel to catch the episodes as they come out. Of course I will still be posting links here in the evenings on the days when they come out after I finish work.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:38 PM #89 Let's Play Geneforge 5

And Episode 41 came out today. Enjoy our explorations into Perikalia.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:56 PM #90 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 42 is out in the wild. Enjoy the further explorations into Perikalia. This place is big.

In related news. I've been playing with the sound a bit in the last few recording sessions. It seems there is essentially no real way to control in game sound so I'm going to be recording my voice in a separate program and merging the files during the render process in order to finally balance the sound levels.

This won't take effect until after episode 49 since I've already recorded that far.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:35 AM #91 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I would suggest against that Blxz. OK the system wasn't perfect but it more or less worked. Doing what you say opens a whole can of worms that could lead to problems. For example, I'll find more disorienting a half-second delay than the loud ingame sounds. Please, keep doing what you do; it works.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:26 AM #92 Let's Play Geneforge 5

No problem. Makes things easier for me. I'll keep trying to get the sound balanced out naturally and see what I come up with.

Also, I've been devious in episode 49, exciting stuff. Something to look forward to for sure.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:11 PM #93 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 43 - this is the first episode in one of my favourite recording sessions. I did seven videos in a row and was having a blast. Doing quite a bit of backtrack exploring and using some editing to save the viewers the pain of suffering through in realtime. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:54 PM #94 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Following on from last episode, Episode 44 continues the rest of the sea caves and culminates in a mighty battle against a dead guy who can one shot my creations. What's the worst that could happen?

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:18 PM #95 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Sea caves? Never did that part.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:56 PM #96 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 45: Can't believe that I missed this earlier. Wonder what we will find along this road?

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:24 PM #97 Let's Play Geneforge 5

View Postalhoon, on 29 January 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

Sea caves? Never did that part.

They were pretty fun. I got wiped out the first time about 10 eps or so in simply because I had a Cryoa heavy build which is useless against ghosts. Some careful restructuring of the army has made my force much more potent but still vastly underpowered.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:01 AM #98 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 46 sees some forays into the Western Shadow Road. I can feel something down here, something good.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,914 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:05 AM #99 Let's Play Geneforge 5

View PostBlxz, on 30 January 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

They were pretty fun. I got wiped out the first time about 10 eps or so in simply because I had a Cryoa heavy build which is useless against ghosts. Some careful restructuring of the army has made my force much more potent but still vastly underpowered.
I did that once with some Cryoa builds and found attacking with them in melee lets them use their physical damage bite.  Not the best fights, but it works.
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:02 PM #100 Let's Play Geneforge 5

View PostRandomizer, on 02 February 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

I did that once with some Cryoa builds and found attacking with them in melee lets them use their physical damage bite.  Not the best fights, but it works.

Yeah, I did resort to that but coupled with being underlevelled for the area (based on my skill level) I really couldn't progress past the first mini endurance fight. No way I would have beaten the boss. Coming back though it was FAR easier than I figured.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 10:05 PM #101 Let's Play Geneforge 5

And for those who have been waiting, Episode 47 is out; Ghess Who's Coming to Dinner? I think the terrible pun names from my other series are beginning to affect me and cross contaminate. Either way, a pretty challenging mini boss fight, and fun to play.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:37 PM #102 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Well now, this was unexpected. Episode 48 could be interesting.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:06 AM #103 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Watching episode 30.
Traps difficulty level 14? Nearby Astoria's (early mid-game) area? The game wants to tell you something there...

About the rage messages you get. I'm not sure of course, but I think (using less cannisters myself) that you get more "you supress your rage!" than I did.
Also, I see you found the Trakovites. When I saw their leader, after playing GF4 and part of GF3, my jaw dropped to the floor. I remember getting orders by that same Trakovite boss, to kill without mercy any Trakovite in GF4.
I also found it extremely peculiar that Trakovites had created Turrets and creations. That's Blasphemy for them. I ... got the explation from that boss (that used to hunt Trakovites 5 years ago) but at the time, I found it strange.

Episode 31: My favorite episode so far (because of Litalia)

May I suggest you change the name of the Yutube episode? Kinda too spoily of the biggest surprise and plot twist of the GF series... ;)
You stumbled on the spoiler because you talked with that crazy guy. I didn't. I went to find that boss... and I couldn't believe it. For a moment I thought I was reading wrong or that there were two Litalias or something.

I found... remarkable how she distances herself from her past actions. "We have both been altered, seperated by our kind by Shaper magic" Riiiiiiight. And who was championing that cause Litalia? Saying that's the proper way of things?
Not to mention... who, as a Shaper, wiped out nearly all the Drakons before changing sides?
To accuse Shapers for Shaping sitting in a room with 5+ creations was rich. As rich as implying the cannisters and especially the geneforges (that she helped make and remake) were a crime.

"But I'm not like the others" (Should have added "I made the others what they were without care that some were maddened")
"I realized what was happening to me and it disgusted me" (should have added "after a decade or so of cannister abuse and slaughter")
"On the day the first Unbound were released, I understood the truth" (Should have started with "after over-ruling Greta and moderates that didn't like the idea of the Unbound, after assisting in the creation of the machinery with my Shaper knowledge, after helping Akari Blaze design them, on the first day...")
"The day the Unbound were released was the day I became a Trakovite" (Should have added "that day was a couple of weeks after I ordered some rebel to break away from a crucially important mission, completing the Unbound, in order to locate and destroy a Trakovite because I could not suffer them to exist.")
("Thankfully, once I left the Rebels they started to ignore my insane order of killing Trakovites wherever they were and now mostly ignore us")
Litalia was the only Rebel as hell-bent to eradicate the Trakovites as the Shapers; in GF4 not even Ghaldring was giving quests about killing Trakovites.
Laughed myself to tears again.

Anyway: I kept her cloak to the endgame. And trully, I found the Trakovites the most... emotionally charged faction to follow through.
Another thing: You say that the rebels do inexcusable crimes. My take on it is this: In a civil war, both sides have saints and fiends (Litalia being the later). Rebels fight a bit more dirty than the Shapers. However they fight for the freedom of a sentient race (Serviles) and the right of existance of two others (Drakons and Drayks). Shapers fight to keep those enslaved and all power to their order.
I could not align with the Shapers in any game because of that. In my opinion, both sides are nasty, but the Shapers are worse.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 411 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:40 PM #104 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Thanks for sharing your passionate views. :) I'm a little less passionate when it comes to Litalia in the direction that I simply dislike her. She's really turned me off the Trakovites which is a shame since I think they are the closest I align with ideologically. I have renamed the episode though as that was some good advice.

Ultimately I am struggling to find someone to align with in this game so far. Enjoying the hell out of it but feeling very unaligned and lost in the big wide world. G5 is probably the closest in feeling to G1 and G2 for me. G3 and G4 were very much 'choose a side' style of games which I think worked less well for them while 1, 2, & 5 are more about exploring and being lost in a new place. I'm loving this game so far and am keen to keep playing.

As for your views on Rebel vs Shaper, I think have drawn a simple graph that I think explains my views on the faction ideologies. I don't see them quite as linear as Jeff has made them in the game. I feel the factions have become more and more extreme as the games have gone on with rapid ramps up for both the Shapers in G4 & 5. Although the rebels have always been quite extreme. I find that as they become more extreme the ideas of the Trakovites appeal to me more and more.

Posted Image

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 685 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:00 AM #105 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I like that image.

Truth be told... Shapers and rebels reaction to shaping can be changed by the player (if you join the Trakovites).
As far as it goes... I kinda disagree with the Shapers being more pro-shapey in GF5 than GF4. Wait till you hit further ahead before putting the dot. You have just seen Astoria and Rawal and Astoria is less pro-shaping than Rawal (that had a Geneforge on his basement, so I actually not consider him a Shaper and there are more deviances from his side to be proven).

Rebels in GF5 are IMO below GF4 and in both GF4 and GF5 they are much above Shapers since they ... shape themselves totally. However a lot of rebels are too put off by... I won't say more.
Let's just say that Rebels are not just the Drakons and there are things for you to discover on that front even on the last battle.
So I would put both Shapers and Rebels less pro-Shaping in GF5 than in GF4.

As for not able to align yourself: Every faction choice I found was more or less bad. As with every war, this one brought out the worse in people. The good are few, the brave have already been killed, the idealists disillusioned. It's a very realistic representation of a long war IMO. Both sides have turned to extremities, there is literally not a good side and common people suffer.

Oh, and Trakovites in GF5 are not as antishaping as in GF4. You know that now :) Their base is full of shaped creations. They consider now that a Trakovite shaper\lifecrafter could create life in defense of the Trakovites.
Remember that dude in Monarch's basement in GF4? That was waiting for you? He didn't shape anything. He left the place armed with magic, not creations. When you meet him again, he's in a cave, thinking; not a cave full of creations, thinking.

The depth of GF series was very surprising to me.

Oh, and Litalia is my favorite GF character (and the 3rd best for my sister; she loved Moseh from GF4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users