Let's Play Geneforge 5

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic
Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 12,853
  • 410 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:37 AM #36 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Vlish are too expensive. I won't buy from an exorbitant vendor. Hoping that someone cheaper comes up in the near future. Are you aware of any other vendors nearby that I might have missed?

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• Member ID: 16,946
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:00 AM #37 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Nope and you should get used to buying from exorbitant vendors... :p

IIRC, Quothe drops his prices after you do a quest for him in the Unbound chain. Not 100% sure.
There's also a canister of create Vlish in a servile town.

I also suggest next time a Cryora dies, change her with a clawbug. IMO at this time you should have one toughy to soak up melee attacks while the Cryoras are away.
DO NOT use the melee creation against Unbound. It's better to attack ranged only from a distance juuuust outside the burst. A melee creation would get the burst, get the attacks AND cause the unbound to move ~> you have to reposition your guys.
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

"Ohhh, no! No, it's so close! So close!" - Blxz, ambushed by an Unbound

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:13 AM #38 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Watching Episode 19: You shouldn't have raised mechanics. You have more than you'll need. Right now, you have enough mechanics to finish the game. You're actually 2 over what I would consider ideal for a 35 lvl char. You're also lacking in leadership in my opinion. Even in the final battle, leadership will be of more use to you than mechanics, and you already have enough mechanics. :)

History: This was the second of my big surprises: A shaper shaping himself to death to make a suicide.

I liked this episode, but since I have no youtube account... I can't vote it. :(

GF5 mod with extra quest chain here!  Discover who you are and set up your base.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:41 AM #39 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I have a love/hate relationship with leadership. I hate missing out on thing but I find it such a point dump. And if I have, for example, 11 points when I need 12 I get nothing. Such a hit and miss type of thing. I was considering doing a low leadership game but if you say it is that important I might consider dumping a few more levels in. What would you suggest is a useful target?

As for clawbugs, I really don't like battle creations and haven't put many points into it. I might consider a vlish or two but I am far and away no where near beating an Unbound so exorbitant prices it is for the near future I guess. I'm only up to episode 22 I think so 23 onwards will incorporate your suggestions.

Finally, if I may ask, what was it about episode 19 that you liked so much? Did I do something different/better or was it just the content that was covered in the game? Suggestions to improve would be welcomed as I've only ever been a consumer of content, never a creator until recently.

EDIT: Also, Episode 20 has gone live.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:05 PM #40 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Well... can't tell. Perhaps it was that I was in a good mood when watching it. Perhaps it was that it covered an area that I barely remember, having played it half-asleep or something. Perhaps it was that you took a very different path than I did (I had high leadership, so things were different for me). Perhaps all the above.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:41 AM #41 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 21 is free from scheduled purgatory. This does involve my first fight with an unbound. It goes about as well as would be expected. I'm having loads of fun with this game so far. I only wish I had more time to sit down and play.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:19 PM #42 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 22 has been published. I finally start getting back on to the main quest line. Still wavering about going shaper or rebel. My current philosophy pretty much revolves around "don't be an arse" to the people I meet at the moment. Final path decisions to be made at a later date.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:13 AM #43 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Haven't watched the latest 3 episodes but heed my words of wisdom: Make a save when you're nearly done with the game WITHOUT commiting to any leader. Then do the endings.
IMO, ALL the endings require you to be an arse to people that don't deserve it.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:50 PM #44 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I don't have a problem being horrible to people once I get that "us vs them" mentality going. But for the time being I haven't really found a team I want to join just yet. Rawal is horrible (and I have a feeling he isn't a joinable faction), Astoria seems a little non-committal, I want to end this war one way of another.

I assume there will be a Drakon and a shaper faction somewhere in the wilds that are more committed to an absolute cause. I'll be joining one of those depending on how convincing Jeff's writing was when he made each faction.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:28 PM #45 Let's Play Geneforge 5

There is a total of 6 factions, but I won't spoil it for you. It's a very nice journey.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:37 PM #46 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Figured 2 more names after watching most of ep 20 (which had stuff I've forgotten about). A duo of Cryoras. "Cannon" and "Fodder".
You have the essence and you certainly need a bit more back-up now.
Also, If I may suggest for the future, try to keep the vlish you'll certainly make soon around for a time to level them up. It really counts.

As a note, I kept Captain's Shiv till the very end. In your case though, not sure if it's better since you seem a bit more conservative with blessing magic (I was spamming it. Red in the horizon = bless and shield for me).

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:08 AM #47 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Great names. I love that idea. :)

Also, I have yet to record past episode 22. Christmas parties have destroyed my normal recording time of friday/saturday night while the wife is at work. I've been drinking and being merry instead of killing dirty rebel scum. I will be back to it soon. I'm so keen to keep playing and exploring!

In the meantime I've been scheduling my other LP to release instead. Space program manager. Was hoping to save that one until the new year but I don't want to have a week or 2 with no content released. May or may not be something you are interested in.

Will update the thread when I get the next Geneforge 5 episode released. Won't be long, probably this weekend since Friday night will be quiet.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:17 AM #48 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I've taken on some of your advice in Episode 23. Vlish might be a valuable addition, if only for the fact that they have a different damage attack type. No comment on whether 'Cannon' or 'Fodder' will see the light of day. Will have to see whether I take any more casualties in the near future.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 10:36 PM #49 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 24 I run into an old friend. Oh the times we had.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:28 AM #50 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Poking around in Penta and we discover a dark secret. Find out more in Episode 25.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:57 PM #51 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Arrogance can be fatal. Episode 26 proves that.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:15 AM #52 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Catchy title... I've fallen a bit behind with visiting relatives and all.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:30 PM #53 Let's Play Geneforge 5

View Postalhoon, on 25 December 2015 - 08:15 AM, said:

Catchy title... I've fallen a bit behind with visiting relatives and all.

No rush, I won't be going anywhere. You can catch up by watching at 2x speed. Chipmunk voice aside, it does help with long style LP's like geneforge and other story heavy rpg's.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:11 PM #54 Let's Play Geneforge 5

EDIT: Actually, scrap that. I got too excited and uploaded episode 28 before 27 had even been released yet.

EDIT 2: Fixed it now. Episode 27 is out and free.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:15 PM #55 Let's Play Geneforge 5

All that mix up is sorted. Episode 28 is now released in order. Lots of exploration of the eastern side of the shadow road, expect puzzles death and assorted encounters.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:55 AM #56 Let's Play Geneforge 5

And Episode 29 went live yesterday. Bit late on the forum post. Been stuck out on the farm away from my wifi for a few days. Enjoy.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:54 AM #57 Let's Play Geneforge 5

An intriguing discovery that could give meaning to the rest of the adventure. Find out more in Episode 30.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 01:46 PM #58 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Happy new Year!
Still haven't time to catch up.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:35 PM #59 Let's Play Geneforge 5

No rush, I enjoy the fact that you keep posting in this thread at least. Breaks up the monotony of having my name stretching down the page. And a Happy New Year to you and the rest of the forumites too. Enjoy what is left of your holidays (if you still have any).

Meanwhile, for anyone up to date, come check out Episode 31 where I finally encounter a very polarising figure from the previous two games. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about her, but time will decide what I end up doing with her.

Alberich Alberich

Shaman

• Member ID: 4,626
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:16 AM #60 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I liked her message of hope…that you could overcome the arrogance and lack of conscience induced by canisters and geneforges by not using them for a long time…I was inclined to cut her some slack because I assumed her worst crimes had been committed under their influence.  I will say this: if you join the Trakovites, you don’t have to give up shaping your own creatures (and you can still learn to make them elsewhere).

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:02 PM #61 Let's Play Geneforge 5

And you get to read what's in my signature! While making some really bad things.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:02 PM #62 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Anyway, I really, recommend you postpone joining a faction as much as possible.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:27 AM #63 Let's Play Geneforge 5

View PostAlberich, on 03 January 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

I liked her message of hope…that you could overcome the arrogance and lack of conscience induced by canisters and geneforges by not using them for a long time…I was inclined to cut her some slack because I assumed her worst crimes had been committed under their influence.  I will say this: if you join the Trakovites, you don’t have to give up shaping your own creatures (and you can still learn to make them elsewhere).

That is good to know. I am not a skilled enough player to go through the entire game with nothing but cryoa and vlish. I can barely make it through the current zones without huge casualties (as becomes more evident in upcoming episodes).

View Postalhoon, on 03 January 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Anyway, I really, recommend you postpone joining a faction as much as possible.

Considering I don't know how to join the Trakovites yet I think you can rest assured that nothing will be happening on that front for some time. But I will take that advice onboard; normally I am keen to join a faction as fast as possible. But I've seen that this can tend to limit the amount of content available to me as the game goes on. Might hold off for a while yet.

Alberich Alberich

Shaman

• Member ID: 4,626
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:54 PM #64 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I personally like joining up as soon as possible...as in GF1, if you do a faction's quests, you can get rewards...which are useful right then.  Each to his own, though!   To join the Trakovites, try talking to Litalia again...if memory serves.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:21 AM #65 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Survival is on the line in Episode 32 - Costly Mistake. Starting to look messy.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:30 AM #66 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Watching episode 21. I'm... a dozen episodes behind hence a good 2 movie-time behind. I remember that zone. A pain in the butt if you ask me, but I got a couple of things that were nice. I don't remember what. I was that pathetic back then.

Anyway, I replied here to say this: I actually laughed out with a comment: "I wonder if I can take an Unbound on". It was -right- after it took you 3 attacks to kill a Vlish. That, was indeed funny. No offence, I'm not ripping at you. I was, as I said as weak back then. And as cocky.

I still think you should raise leadership a bit.

EDIT: Oh... that sneaky Unbound. Taking out all your group in 2 rounds without taking damage while you were luckily away was probably the answer to your question on whether to fight an unbound with cryoras...
:)

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:40 PM #67 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I know. I love this game series. I've said it before in other threads but it just feels like Jeff knows exactly what I'm thinking as I play. That Unbound turning up was just icing on the cake.
1, 2 and 5 so far are the definite best installments. 3 and 4 were a little average in my mind.

Regarding leadership, I waver back and forth a lot on that. Currently I am 'for' more leadership but no doubt that will change again soon.

And in video related news, Episode 33 is out now. I'm trapped behind enemy lines with a depleted force and confronted by a spawner. This one was a real challenge.

(also, as a side note, I have finally received my new microphone so expect future episodes 35 and onwards to finally get rid of that annoying background hissing noise)

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:50 AM #68 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 34 was brutal. My army was caught between a rock and a hard, unbound place. Almost total destruction ensues. Simply getting out alive is going to be the hardest part.

Blxz Blxz

Shadowwalker

• 410 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:37 PM #69 Let's Play Geneforge 5

Episode 35 - Entering the Stoneworks is now active. Enjoy.

alhoon alhoon

Sorcerer

• 684 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:48 AM #70 Let's Play Geneforge 5

I have to say this: Nothing like waking up from an afternoon nap, brewing a cup of coffee and watching someone duking it out in the unkind world of Geneforge with a host of Cryoras while the coffee works its way into your system and you get ready for your afternoon activities.

Watching episode 22.
Suggestion: While I may be too late for the party, being 14-15 episodes behind so far, I would suggest finding a nice empty house somewhere you have easy access to, and dropping the crafting materials so they don't clog your inventory. I did this in Penta.
Suggestion2: I had the healing sandals on my inventory and wore them when I needed the extra healing (to cast group spells etc) while usually I wore other items.

An important one: Be -VERY- careful with what artifacts you make! The order in which you use the items matters. I hope I told you on time.
Frankly, I would suggest checking a guide first to find out WHICH artifacts you want to make (names, not recipes) and then once you find the recipe, experiment; if you don't get the proper artifact name, don't make one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users